ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-26-2013, 11:12 AM   #17596
Pablodakar
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: La Coruna Spain
Oddometer: 109
Thanks for answers... mmoto looks nice, and I think it must work in DR350SEX 99 model.

But It seems side pannels is a bit forwarded.


this is hepcko becker rack (discontinued, not compatible with 97-99 models), position its to rear


with mmoto and cases installed, is it comfortable to drive?

can you put a photo with mmoto and cases installed?

when you order, did you get the kit to use givi luggage? and last question, is it included all in photo? (rear luggage and side luggage?)

regards and thanks
__________________
Suzuki DR350SEX
Suzuki KingQuad 450
Pablodakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:16 AM   #17597
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer
 
MrPulldown's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Truckee
Oddometer: 2,546
ANy one in the States have those racks.
__________________
94 DR 350 SE
No Load LED Flash Relay and Diode Kits for Sale
MrPulldown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:29 AM   #17598
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur
 
High Country Herb's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Western Sierras
Oddometer: 6,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonawesome View Post
But I don't see where it says only soft bags can be used. Granted, I haven't done it, but I would think a "universal" mounting kit would be able to work.
I emailed the guy at TCI racks (can't remember his name) and he said he did not recommend mounting heavy cases because bouncing could crack the welds. It should be noted that this was his opinion for ALL manufacturer's racks for the DR, not just the TCI. He said that the OutBack rack system was strong enough, but not offered for the DR350. He also said that the lower shelf on the Denali and Sequoia racks is removable to decrease width when the bags aren't mounted. You have to appreciate their honesty, which speaks well of their customer service.

That MMoto picture does show all of the rack. I had to relocate the license plate light because of the hoop that goes around the back of the bike. I have mounted the Givi Monolock top box plate, and it was a bit tricky getting all four clamps to line up, but it works great. We ordered it directly from the Ukraine (while crossing my fingers). It took less than 2 weeks to recieve it, and shipping was around 40 bucks, which still came in similar to the TCI rack. I couldn't find it in the states.

I don't have the Pelican cases mounted yet, but hop to do it this week. They will sit a bit forward, but not enough to be in the way. If you plan to ride 2-up (we don't) it would be tight for the passenger. We did not buy the Givi adaptor plate offered by Mmoto, because our top loader Pelican boxes are too small for those perimeter frames. We will be using small box tubing and the Happy Trails pannier mount kit instead.

High Country Herb screwed with this post 08-26-2013 at 11:35 AM
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:57 PM   #17599
Pablodakar
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: La Coruna Spain
Oddometer: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
I emailed the guy at TCI racks (can't remember his name) and he said he did not recommend mounting heavy cases because bouncing could crack the welds. It should be noted that this was his opinion for ALL manufacturer's racks for the DR, not just the TCI. He said that the OutBack rack system was strong enough, but not offered for the DR350. He also said that the lower shelf on the Denali and Sequoia racks is removable to decrease width when the bags aren't mounted. You have to appreciate their honesty, which speaks well of their customer service.

That MMoto picture does show all of the rack. I had to relocate the license plate light because of the hoop that goes around the back of the bike. I have mounted the Givi Monolock top box plate, and it was a bit tricky getting all four clamps to line up, but it works great. We ordered it directly from the Ukraine (while crossing my fingers). It took less than 2 weeks to recieve it, and shipping was around 40 bucks, which still came in similar to the TCI rack. I couldn't find it in the states.

I don't have the Pelican cases mounted yet, but hop to do it this week. They will sit a bit forward, but not enough to be in the way. If you plan to ride 2-up (we don't) it would be tight for the passenger. We did not buy the Givi adaptor plate offered by Mmoto, because our top loader Pelican boxes are too small for those perimeter frames. We will be using small box tubing and the Happy Trails pannier mount kit instead.
license plate light seems a problem. The hoop, I think, is wrong located. It could be inside the body.

batanga cases seems nice. 26 liters option would be perfect option for small bikes


high country herb... do you have some pic with this rack in DR? I would thank to see how match with rear lights (european).

maybe, contacting with MMOTO, to modify the rear bar to put it inside?

regards
__________________
Suzuki DR350SEX
Suzuki KingQuad 450
Pablodakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:40 PM   #17600
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: DFW TX
Oddometer: 1,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
Has anyone added a kick starter to an e-start bike (1995) as a back up? If so, how involved is it?
Several people have added a kick starter. Here's a list of parts.... http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....9&postcount=23 .... Don't think you need the decomp parts, The SE cam has the decomp built in. Most of this stuff can be sourced from ebay.
2bold2getold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:27 PM   #17601
tominboise
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Boise, ID
Oddometer: 597
Need a little help with tube sizes

I am trying to order some spare tubes and need a little guidance on the proper sizes/brand. I am running MT-21 tires, 90/90-21 on the front, 120/90-18 on the rear. I am trying to order from RockyMountainATV and it's not real clear on their website.

Thanks!
__________________
tominboise

1995 DR350SE - mini adventure bike,,,,
1982 R65/80 G/S - bigger adventure bike,,,,
tominboise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:16 PM   #17602
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer
 
MrPulldown's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Truckee
Oddometer: 2,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by tominboise View Post
I am trying to order some spare tubes and need a little guidance on the proper sizes/brand. I am running MT-21 tires, 90/90-21 on the front, 120/90-18 on the rear. I am trying to order from RockyMountainATV and it's not real clear on their website.

Thanks!
It is not super critical as long as you have the diameter correct. Typically go for the biggest tube that does not go over the the width.

I also like to go with the Heay duty ones.

It is easier to post which tubes you are looking at for us to help choise. There are a millions tubes on their site, all of which are sized differently. I know: what a confusing mess.

For example with these MSR HD tubes:
http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...ube?term=tubes
100/100x18
  • 110/100x18
  • 110/90x19
  • 120/100x18
  • 120/90x19
  • 2.50x10
  • 70/100x17
  • 80/100x12
  • 80/100x14
  • 80/100x21
    I'd get the 110/90x18 for the rear and the 80/100x21 for the front.
  • __________________
    94 DR 350 SE
    No Load LED Flash Relay and Diode Kits for Sale
    MrPulldown is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-26-2013, 03:26 PM   #17603
    KustomizingKid
    Studly Adventurer
     
    Joined: Nov 2012
    Location: Minneapolis
    Oddometer: 646
    Highly considering ditching the KLR for the Dr350... There is a kicker only 98 on clist. How much will I hate not having e start?
    __________________
    2000 Xr650r!
    KustomizingKid is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-26-2013, 03:29 PM   #17604
    mfleck
    Fleckster
     
    mfleck's Avatar
     
    Joined: Jul 2011
    Oddometer: 119
    I bought a 1990 and am working on fixing the carb. Mine has 3k on it give me a call if I can help you out with details on a dr350 254 319 2203

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 4
    mfleck is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-26-2013, 03:36 PM   #17605
    mrchristian
    Gnarly Adventurer
     
    Joined: Nov 2008
    Location: LA, CA
    Oddometer: 253
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
    My guess would be it's to clear saddlebags so they don't melt or stink of exhaust fumes. Should be easy enough to un-modify. No need to buy a new exhaust.
    Intersting. It's still pretty hot and I'd like to throw on my soft throw-across saddlebags that I used on the Ninja. I've fit them and the plastic guards keep them off the pipe but I would like a little extra protection if they shift around. Anyone use one of these from Giant Loop? Only $25. Looks like it would do the trick.



    http://www.ktm-parts.com/HSHS.html#.UhvYQn_lctU
    __________________
    1999 Suzuki DR350SE
    mrchristian is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-26-2013, 03:38 PM   #17606
    thump!
    Adventurer
     
    thump!'s Avatar
     
    Joined: Jan 2007
    Location: Northeast Tennessee
    Oddometer: 949
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KustomizingKid View Post
    Highly considering ditching the KLR for the Dr350... There is a kicker only 98 on clist. How much will I hate not having e start?
    Mine is kickstart only. If you get it set up right they are not hard to start EXCEPT when you stall it in a rut, puddle or on a steep grade that makes it hard to get a full stroke on the starter. THEN you will miss e-start.
    thump! is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-26-2013, 03:40 PM   #17607
    MrPulldown
    Beastly Adventurer
     
    MrPulldown's Avatar
     
    Joined: Aug 2009
    Location: Truckee
    Oddometer: 2,546
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KustomizingKid View Post
    Highly considering ditching the KLR for the Dr350... There is a kicker only 98 on clist. How much will I hate not having e start?
    Seems like there are two camps when it comes to kickers. Those that can kick start it in one/two tries and those that kick it over 100 times before they can get it started. The first group doesn't seem to mind their kick start DR350's; the 2nd...

    98 kicker means it is a non street legal dirt bike. At least from the factory. If you are ditching a KLR, you might want to look into your state laws regarding plating dirt bikes or if you care about road worthiness.
    __________________
    94 DR 350 SE
    No Load LED Flash Relay and Diode Kits for Sale
    MrPulldown is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-26-2013, 03:50 PM   #17608
    brianjonesphoto
    Single Track Noob
     
    brianjonesphoto's Avatar
     
    Joined: Feb 2007
    Location: The Brier Patch, WA
    Oddometer: 1,546
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrchristian View Post
    Intersting. It's still pretty hot and I'd like to throw on my soft throw-across saddlebags that I used on the Ninja. I've fit them and the plastic guards keep them off the pipe but I would like a little extra protection if they shift around. Anyone use one of these from Giant Loop? Only $25. Looks like it would do the trick.



    http://www.ktm-parts.com/HSHS.html#.UhvYQn_lctU
    Yup I have one and it works great for my ortleib bags. Way cheaper than a rack.


    Typos and nonsensical words courtesy of fat fingers on a make believe keyboard.
    __________________
    Brian
    Mine: 07 DL650 ABS, 99 DR350SEx, 05 Montesa 4RT Her's: 02 KL250 Super Sherpa

    www.PhotoSupportNW.com

    brianjonesphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-26-2013, 04:07 PM   #17609
    KustomizingKid
    Studly Adventurer
     
    Joined: Nov 2012
    Location: Minneapolis
    Oddometer: 646
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MrPulldown View Post
    Seems like there are two camps when it comes to kickers. Those that can kick start it in one/two tries and those that kick it over 100 times before they can get it started. The first group doesn't seem to mind their kick start DR350's; the 2nd...

    98 kicker means it is a non street legal dirt bike. At least from the factory. If you are ditching a KLR, you might want to look into your state laws regarding plating dirt bikes or if you care about road worthiness.
    Plates are np in MN... Does anyone care in Mexico and down south about that?
    __________________
    2000 Xr650r!
    KustomizingKid is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-26-2013, 04:12 PM   #17610
    tkent02
    Beastly Adventurer
     
    Joined: Dec 2008
    Location: Littleton, CO
    Oddometer: 2,122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KustomizingKid View Post
    How much will I hate not having e start?
    None whatsoever if you keep it tuned properly. Two kicks cold for mine, one kick hot. It's easy. Never even have to kick it hard. Usually I don't kick it at all, just park on a mellow slope and roll start it.

    What you won't miss is the extra 200 lbs of mass every time you pick it up, or every time you don't have to pick it up because you didn't drop it because it's 200 lbs lighter. You also won't miss not going on the coolest trails because your bike is just too damned big and heavy.


    Tell you what, if I had to choose between kick starting and riding a KLR I wouldn't even think about it.
    tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Reply

    Share

    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    .
    Display Modes

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is On

    Forum Jump


    Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:13 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014