ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Should Lane Splitting be legal in all 50 States?
YES it should be made legal 1,545 77.06%
YES but ONLY on the Hwy 96 4.79%
YES but only for filtering at controlled intersections 222 11.07%
NO It is dangerous and should not be made legal 192 9.58%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2005. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-02-2013, 06:59 AM   #571
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
It bogles my mind that, on a motorcycle forum, 166 idiots voted "No."
its more important that we preserve states rights to enable traffic laws and not the feds

I say yes to 50 states passing laws individually , I say no to the feds passing a law
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:49 AM   #572
PhilB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyo View Post
its more important that we preserve states rights to enable traffic laws and not the feds

I say yes to 50 states passing laws individually , I say no to the feds passing a law
Gotcha. And 100% agreed.

The question, as asked though, did not specify a federal action, or any details of *how* it should be made legal in all 50 states -- it just asked if it should be legal in all 50 states. So I voted "yes", because I think it should be. I agree with you that it should all happen at the state level.

PhilB
1993 Ducati M900 Monster "Patina" (236,000 miles, so far) -- 1995 Ducati M900 (wife's bike) -- 1972 Honda CB450 (daughter's bike) -- 1979 Vespa P200 (daughter's scoot) -- 1967 Alfa Romeo GT Jr. (1300cc) -- 1964 Vespa GS160 (160cc 2-stroke) -- 1962 Maicoletta scooter (275cc 2-stroke) -- 1960 Heinkel Tourist 103A1 scooter "Elroy" (175cc 4-stroke)
PhilB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:44 PM   #573
DAKEZ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,697
As the thead starter I want to make clear...

Yes, ON a State by State level. We are a Republic after all and I am a believer in the 10th amendment.

Places like Montana, Wyoming and the Dakotas have little need as they do not really have the traffic issues found in the more populated areas.

IMO the safest way to implement it would be to first allow filtering in stopped traffic for a year or two then open it up to splitting. This would help other road users get comfortable with having bikes pass by in close proximity.

(When I feel it is justified for my safety, I do it anyway)
Old 06-04-2013, 03:52 PM   #574
Michael
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
lane splitting saved my butt

I was riding to work on 295 a few weeks ago. Traffic was moving along at 50 MPH or so and then cam to a VERY abrubt stop. I stopped without incident and then after a second or so moved over to the dotted white line to begin splitting. As I did so i heard tires screeching and a car rear ended the car behind me, knocking it forward into the car ahead of me. If I had remained in my lane I would have been the meat in a metal and meat sandwich - the impact on the car ahead of me was enough to cave in its bumper.

Graphic proof of that study that says lane splitting reduces rear end accidents!
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:00 AM   #575
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Yes, ON a State by State level. We are a Republic after all and I am a believer in the 10th amendment.

Places like Montana, Wyoming and the Dakotas have little need as they do not really have the traffic issues found in the more populated areas.

IMO the safest way to implement it would be to first allow filtering in stopped traffic for a year or two then open it up to splitting. This would help other road users get comfortable with having bikes pass by in close proximity.

(When I feel it is justified for my safety, I do it anyway)
As a former Cheyenne resident, you have NO IDEA how bad traffic is there!

It absolutely sucks out loud

for a few minutes!

65k people in the state's capitol. The worst bit is getting on/off Davis Monthan AF base.

M
Old 06-10-2013, 08:10 AM   #576
DAKEZ OP
Beastly Adventurer

The AMA on Lane Splitting:

Historically, the concept of lane splitting has been a regional issue with AMA members and motorcyclists in general. Where it is in widespread practice – California – the AMA endorses the concept and applauds the guidelines recently issued by the California Highway Patrol.

While lane splitting may be of interest in certain states, in many states riders have not identified lane splitting as a priority issue. In these cases, AMA members, clubs, and MROs are focusing their limited resources on ending motorcycle-only checkpoints, fighting raids on rider education funds, and defeating universal helmet laws, to name a few.

The AMA’s practice at the state level has been to support the efforts of motorcyclists that are consistent with AMA positions. Although the AMA Board of Directors has not adopted a formal position statement on lane splitting, the surge of interest in some states following the CHP’s recent issuance of guidelines has given the AMA board cause to revisit this issue. The AMA staff is currently preparing background information to assist the board with its decision.

While the AMA did not advocate openly or work behind the scenes in the case of the Nevada legislation, the AMA agrees with lane-splitting legislation that is not encumbered with conditions that discriminate against motorcyclists, such as rider training or additional insurance requirements.

Regarding the negative perception of motorcyclists, the AMA — since its inception in 1924 — has fought these negative perceptions and has strongly advocated responsible use.

For example, one of the most pervasive negative perceptions held by the general public concerns the issue of excessive motorcycle sound. AMA President and CEO Rob Dingman said as much in a 2009 interview: “The single greatest threat to motorcycling in America — both on- and off-highway, including ATVs — is excessive exhaust sound.” You can read the complete interview here: http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/669/24...gulations.aspx. The AMA board has also adopted a position statement on excessive sound. You can view it, as well as all of the AMA position statements, at http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/...tionstatements.

There is an emerging issue that feeds the public’s negative perception of motorcyclists: “stunting” on public roads, which includes illegal activity by individual riders or groups of riders performing wheelies, stopping traffic, etc. In fact, in states where the practice of lane splitting is not legal, many motorists view lane splitting as stunting. Of note, there are AMA members living in states that do not permit lane splitting that oppose legalizing the practice because they are concerned about reinforcing the negative image of riders held by motorists… some even fear retribution by car and truck drivers. So state-by-state, the legalization of lane splitting faces significant hurdles.

From: http://lanesplittingislegal.com/lane...lane-splitting
Old 06-10-2013, 08:18 AM   #577
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,065
And that's why the AMA gets none of my cash.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:55 AM   #578
pretbek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,051
Quote:
And that's why the AMA gets none of my cash.
Which "that", Jim? Dakez' post contains a great many of those word thingies about the AMA...
pretbek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:31 AM   #579
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretbek View Post
Which "that", Jim? Dakez' post contains a great many of those word thingies about the AMA...
The whole thing was a series of excuses for why they aren't lobbying for lane-splitting. I mean, they would rather lobby against helmet laws, for fuck's sake.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:01 PM   #580
vaexplorer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Quote:
It bogles my mind that, on a motorcycle forum, 166 idiots voted "No."
I'm in VA and would love it be legal. I mentioned it to an MSF Ridercoach when we taught a class a few weeks ago and was surprised he was against it. I'm not holding my breath it will ever happen in Virginia.
vaexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:54 PM   #581
DAKEZ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Just Do It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
I was riding to work on 295 a few weeks ago. Traffic was moving along at 50 MPH or so and then cam to a VERY abrubt stop. I stopped without incident and then after a second or so moved over to the dotted white line to begin splitting. As I did so i heard tires screeching and a car rear ended the car behind me, knocking it forward into the car ahead of me. If I had remained in my lane I would have been the meat in a metal and meat sandwich - the impact on the car ahead of me was enough to cave in its bumper.

Graphic proof of that study that says lane splitting reduces rear end accidents!
Old 06-11-2013, 03:16 AM   #582
wyno
guzzi 750

Oddometer: 99
The state of Victoria in Oztralia is seriously considering lane filtering when traffic is stopped or almost stopped. If they go ahead with it, the other states and territories in Oz should follow suit. It really is the only sane thing to do.
wyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 02:27 PM   #583
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaexplorer View Post
I'm in VA and would love it be legal. I mentioned it to an MSF Ridercoach when we taught a class a few weeks ago and was surprised he was against it. I'm not holding my breath it will ever happen in Virginia.
Its amazing ain't it?!

Those of us that have done it know how A. safe and B. time-saving it can be. Too bad not everyone's ridden 'CA style.'

M
Old 08-26-2013, 06:20 PM   #584
DAKEZ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Here is Why

Again

http://jalopnik.com/5974948/heres-wh...or-motorcycles

Old 08-27-2013, 01:53 AM   #585
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

Oddometer: 2,617
Split a bunch on the way to work this morning. Damn, the little CBR is tiny! The stupid-looking mirrors are the widest part. Wheee!!!

The answer is still yes, it should be legal.