Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2013, 05:17 PM   #17611
mfleck
Fleckster

Oddometer: 119
Just so you know converting to electric start is not feasable.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 4
mfleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:27 PM   #17612
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablodakar View Post
license plate light seems a problem. The hoop, I think, is wrong located. It could be inside the body.

high country herb... do you have some pic with this rack in DR? I would thank to see how match with rear lights (european).

maybe, contacting with MMOTO, to modify the rear bar to put it inside?

regards
That picture shows the rear hoop pretty well, but here is another:

I think the idea was to protect the rear fender. In many countries, they don't seem to care about a light for the license plate, so they can just mount the plate on the fender. In my case, I wanted to keep it 100% legal.

You could probably cut it out, but then you would lose the strength. With their design, you can easily lift the bike with the rack.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:45 PM   #17613
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkent02 View Post
What you won't miss is the extra 200 lbs of mass every time you pick it up, or every time you don't have to pick it up because you didn't drop it because it's 200 lbs lighter. You also won't miss not going on the coolest trails because your bike is just too damned big and heavy.

The e-start system weighs 200lbs?!?!?!? GOOD doG.
MrPulldown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:52 PM   #17614
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by KustomizingKid View Post
Highly considering ditching the KLR for the Dr350... There is a kicker only 98 on clist. How much will I hate not having e start?
If you are worried about it, just hold out for a used e-start model. Just FYI: We got our 1995SE for $1500 in California, which seems to be the area that has the fewest for sale. They seem to be most abundant in the South.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:54 PM   #17615
mfleck
Fleckster

You can buy a dirt model and get a street frame off ebay with a ttile a swap and your ready to rock

Old 08-26-2013, 06:20 PM   #17616
kobukan
almost gnarly

Oddometer: 1,698
Quote:
Highly considering ditching the KLR for the Dr350... There is a kicker only 98 on clist. How much will I hate not having e start?
I've put 15k miles on my street legal '99 dirt model kicker and have never once wished it had e-start. Starts in 1-2 easy kicks warm or cold. I've never understood why people complain about a DR350 without e-start. They kick over easy and when set up properly they'll usually start on the first kick.
A Few Days Solo in Baja
kobukan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:49 PM   #17617
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,564
Quote:
Plates are np in MN... Does anyone care in Mexico and down south about that?
Last time I went to Mexico (it's been a while), we had to have everything documented, and they checked everything, SLOWLY and thoroughly.
2bold2getold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:17 PM   #17618
thump!
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bold2getold View Post
Last time I went to Mexico (it's been a while), we had to have everything documented, and they checked everything, SLOWLY and thoroughly.
Took a v-Strom into Mexico 2 years ago. Might depend on the port of entry but at Ojingnaga I had to present an original (no copies) title in my name. Mexico issued a temporary import permit (a sticker on the windscreen). On exit the temporary important permit was removed by the border guard on the Mexico side. If you leave Mexico without surrendering the temporary import permit, they assume you sold the vehicle illegally while in country and you'll be in deep do-do if you ever try to go back. However, they checked nothing (lights, signals, etc) on the bike itself.
thump! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:17 PM   #17619
RydinFool
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
KLR to DR

I have one of each. I bought the KLR thinking I would get dirty with it and discovered it's just too big for ME on trails or challenging terrain. I picked up a 93 DR and love it, WHEN IT IS RUNNING. It handles really well and the extra gear makes it good on the road. I have gone up three teeth on the rear sprocket and still get about 45-50 mpg. (For folks contemplating a gearing change, this gives me 55 mph at roughly 5500 rpm. This is a nice smooth rpm.) WHEN IT WILL START. I've put about 1200 miles on it and still haven't figured out a clean starting drill. That's why I'm here. The folks reporting 1 or 2 kick starts have my attention and admiration - jealousy.

I have just retired and will have time to mess with it. I really hope I can get it sorted out, so it starts well. It is a really enjoyable bike. The KLR is more like an industrial tractor. I am fortunate enough to own more than one bike and I think I will always have the KLR. It just goes and goes and goes; never asks for anything but gas and oil (tires once in a while), and gives back tons of enjoyment at 55 mpg.

The kick starting has got to the point where I am looking at an electric start bike and will probably get one if I can't get better starting results and leave the kicking to a younger rider. To make my point, my 86 Wide Glide with no compression release is a joy to kick compared to the DR.
IBA #33670
Wee Strom, HD Electra Glide, KLR 650, Triumph Bonneville, 86 BMW R80 cafe racer, 1986 HD Wide Glide- the last one with a kickstart, 1987 BMW R80RT, Suzuki DR 350
RydinFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:22 PM   #17620
KustomizingKid
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 679
If a Harley is easier to kick there is something fucked up with your bike... Jesus.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:23 PM   #17621
mfleck
Fleckster

Nope many do not use the decomp on the dr 350 kickers resulting in cracked cases

Old 08-26-2013, 07:39 PM   #17622
ceke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by AST236 View Post
Good deal, ceke. I feel the same way about my DR. If I ever have to get down to just one bike, I'll sell the FJR and keep the DR.

How do you like the Seat Concepts seat?
I'm a big guy at 250lbs and the stock seat was ok for a couple hours in the saddle, not much more. I did about 4 hours yesterday with a short break every hour or so and I could have done another couple hours before the seat concepts seat started to bother me, the extra width is a big improvement for me, well worth the money.
ceke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:57 PM   #17623
ceke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR350seKING View Post
how do like the k270's I put a front one on and like it so far (about 200 miles) and im going to replace the back as soon as it needs it. I was thinking about going with the 5.10 what size did u go with. where did u find the tank bags? every thing I seem to find is way to big for the tank they look like the fit great
I'm returning to dual sports so probably don't have a qualified opinion on the Kenda's. I've been riding 60% gravel/hard pack dirt/rocks, 20% soft dirt, 20% road, and find the k270's work fine in all places but I'm a pretty relaxed rider. I did go with the 5.10 on the rear and there is about 15mm of clearance with the swing arm on the right side, might even be rubbing under load. I'll probably go the next size down when I replace it just for the extra room for mud:

The tank panniers are these ATV ones.

ceke screwed with this post 08-26-2013 at 10:23 PM Reason: added tank pannier info
ceke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:03 PM   #17624
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfleck View Post
Nope many do not use the decomp on the dr 350 kickers resulting in cracked cases

Wow. I had no idea they were so fragile. I disconnected the decompression lever 10 years ago on my XL600, and kicked it hard ever since. Maybe someone who has trouble tuning would be better served by an XL350?

With that in mind, I don't think I'll add a backup kick starter to the DR. I should probably upgrade the skid plate too, huh?
Old 08-26-2013, 09:15 PM   #17625
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPulldown View Post
The e-start system weighs 200lbs?!?!?!? GOOD doG.
No, the fucking KLR weighs 200 lbs more.
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote