ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2013, 07:02 PM   #31
Albino Reino
Junky

Oddometer: 674
^ Please tell where this was taken.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:32 PM   #32
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,118
cant confirm it but was said it was where it jumped HWY 120

https://www.facebook.com/groups/moth...p_r2j_approved
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .

wrk2surf screwed with this post 08-25-2013 at 08:41 PM
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:34 AM   #33
Jeelf
n00b

Oddometer: 6
I added the current hot spot data to the online map link that I posted earlier. This likely shows the areas where the fire is trying to expand.

See the "About" link in the upper left corner of the map for more information.

http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/fire..._fire_map.html

Joseph, the Gmap4 guy
Jeelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:57 AM   #34
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,118

The road to hetch hetchy reservoir
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:22 AM   #35
dman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 562
I just got back from a 3 day ride starting Friday from the coast over Ebbetts Pass (Hwy 4), camped at Wolf Creek south of Markleville on Friday evening then rode around Walker Valley and motelled in Gardnerville Saturday night. Back over 88 and various foothills backroads on Sunday. We could start smelling smoke around Copperopolis, on the ride up, and it started burning my eyes and scratching my throat by Arnold. Visibility dropped so you could just see the outline of the ridge across Lake Alpine from the road, but no details. Even after crossing both Pacific Grade and Ebbetts Passes, visibility remained poor and ash settled on the bikes and tents overnight. Saturday and Sunday were pretty bad in the Topaz/Walker/Gardnerville area ... I read that life flights and a local airshow were cancelled due to low visibility. On my return ride I stopped in Livermore and looked back and you could see the plume. A friend of mine is on the east side now and he said that 395 is clear south of 108.

Good luck to anyone who lives near the fire, and thanks to all the firefighters. After being 30 - 80 miles away I can't imagine what it's like in the fire zone. I've been near a lot of fires in 50+ years here but this is unbelievable. I was hoping to ride Cottonwood and Cherry Lake this fall ... hopefully it grows back quick.

-dman
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:33 AM   #36
St.Stan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
Quote:
The road to hetch hetchy reservoir
Man, that's a bummer.

The American fire near Foresthill is mostly out. Reno has been really getting it with the smoke from the Rim Fire, though. It's been tracking along the Sierra crest, then spilling into the Tahoe basin and over the hill into Reno. We're kind of on the edge of it here.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:23 PM   #37
third eye
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
bigger Al, do you know if the Sugar Pine/China Wall OHV area is affected by the fire near foresthill?
third eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:25 PM   #38
avejoe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
I'm bummed, but in the big scheme of things fire is part of nature...
avejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:50 PM   #39
K. L. Rocket
Big bouncy make big happy

Oddometer: 921
"Sonora, CA - ATCAA Food Bank is calling on the community to help them as they continue to feed Rim Fire Evacuees. ...do not take donations to the Mother Lode Fairgrounds. Instead, please make donations at the Food Bank in Jamestown Monday through Friday between 9:00AM and 1:00PM. Click here for a map. ...a list is being kept of people want to help out to get on that list call (209) 984-3964."
http://www.mymotherlode.com/news/loc...er-Needed.html

K. L. Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:55 AM   #40
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by K. L. Rocket View Post
"Sonora, CA - ATCAA Food Bank is calling on the community to help them as they continue to feed Rim Fire Evacuees. ...do not take donations to the Mother Lode Fairgrounds. Instead, please make donations at the Food Bank in Jamestown Monday through Friday between 9:00AM and 1:00PM. Click here for a map. ...a list is being kept of people want to help out to get on that list call (209) 984-3964."
http://www.mymotherlode.com/news/loc...er-Needed.html
People have been asking what they can do, and are being told to donate to the National Red Cross. While they do lots of good, I think people want to avoid the overhead and donate diectly.

They also need people in the area that can house animals of all shapes and sizes. Tuolumne County Animal Control is keeping a list: Monday-Friday 9:00 am to 4:00 pm (209) 984-1338
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:31 AM   #41
St.Stan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
[QUOTEbigger Al, do you know if the Sugar Pine/China Wall OHV area is affected by the fire near foresthill? ][/QUOTE]

I went up there Sat. to have a look at the fire, Sugar pine is open and unburned. China Wall is open but the portion of the trails on the south side of Foresthill road is under temporary closure but unburned. The west fire line is apparently along the Deadwood Ridge road leading out to the old town site, and running east from there.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:41 AM   #42
itsatdm OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,417
I don't know the smoke conditions in Forest Hill but they can't be good. My daughter went over Hwy 88 this morning and in places the visibility was 50ft. I have picture of Carson City and it is smokey.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:22 PM   #43
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,418
The view from the Central Valley:

The view from Pine Mountain Lake :

High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 02:12 PM   #44
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

Oddometer: 7,726
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
I don't know the smoke conditions in Forest Hill but they can't be good. My daughter went over Hwy 88 this morning and in places the visibility was 50ft. I have picture of Carson City and it is smokey.
It was pretty crappy here this morning, as it has been every morning since the American Fire started in Foresthill. Things tend to clear out by noon, and it's much more pleasant. The Rim Fire is making life difficult for asthmatics from Central California all the way into Canada. I did some work at CalFire earlier today, and they expect that things in Yosemite could last for another month or more.

Steve McQueen

Bigger Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 02:23 PM   #45
StuInFH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
I'm in town, overlooking the middle fork side of FH Divide. It's odd, but like Al said; the smoke comes and goes almost on a 12 hour cycle. It will clear out midday and we will go to bed with the windows open for the delta breeze, but then be awakened during the early morning hours with smoke so thick vis is less than a quarter mile, some mornings only a few hundred yards.

We had a break for a few days and now I am wondering if we are getting Rim smoke like most everyone else.

I saw bikes coming back from Sugar Pine on Sunday, so I guess riding is still going on, but I would contact the ranger station before heading up.
StuInFH is offline   Reply With Quote