ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2013, 02:31 PM   #46
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuInFH View Post
the smoke comes and goes almost on a 12 hour cycle. It will clear out midday and we will go to bed with the windows open for the delta breeze, but then be awakened during the early morning hours with smoke so thick vis is less than a quarter mile, some mornings only a few hundred yards.
It's the heat/cool cycle of the day. The full heat of the day causes an uplift of air over the fire, then it all comes back down in the wee hours of the morning. It is starting to lift now.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 02:54 PM   #47
AngryScot

Oddometer: 18,307
Such horrible stuff, I was flying in last week from the east coast and was looking forward to seeing the valley on the approach to the bay area. It was quite a surprise!

AngryScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 03:02 PM   #48
Stinez
Rhymes with Heinz :D

Oddometer: 47,433

Quote:
Squelching Sierra fires left forest ready to burn

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) Unnaturally long intervals between wildfires and years of drought primed the Sierra Nevada for the explosive conflagration chewing up the rugged landscape on the edge of Yosemite National Park, forestry experts say.

The fire had ravaged 282 square miles by Tuesday, the biggest in the Sierra's recorded history and one of the largest on record in California.

Containment increased to 20 percent but some 4,500 structures remained threatened and firefighters were making stands at Tuolumne City and other mountain communities.

The blaze was just 40 acres when it was discovered near a road in Stanislaus National Forest on Aug. 17, but firefighters had no chance of stopping it in the early days.

*snip

The GOP puts the "Con" in Conservative.
Stinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 03:49 PM   #49
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinez View Post
From the same article: "Because we are in such tremendous deficit of this post-fire habitat type, especially in this area, the Rim Fire is a good thing ecologically," Hanson said. "This is not destruction, this is ecological restoration."

Sucks right now, but necessary and a long-term good.

Hope no one gets killed. Everything else will come back, eventually...
Old 08-27-2013, 08:01 PM   #50
itsatdm OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,487
Tioga Pass through Yosemite will be closed at 12noon 8/28 through at least 9/1. The Closure point is between Crane Flat and White Wolf campground. Better check beyond that to see if it reopens.

itsatdm screwed with this post 08-27-2013 at 08:18 PM
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:39 AM   #51
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
Tioga Pass through Yosemite will be closed at 12noon 8/28 through at least 9/1. The Closure point is between Crane Flat and White Wolf campground. Better check beyond that to see if it reopens.
Sounds like they are using the road as a staging area for a back burn through the weekend.

It will mess up (alter) my weekend plans, but their work is more important. I will just have to use one of the passes farther north.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:22 AM   #52
Gerg
Cupcake

Oddometer: 8,246
One of the issues of a fire like this is the sterilization of the soil from the heat. We had a very hot fire a few years ago above Kernville (MacNally Fire). That area is all scrub brush, the trees haven't returned.

I was part of a group that planted about 400+ trees along a trail our Jeep Club maintains. It's been so dry since the fire that there is less than 5% of those trees have survived. It's going to be a VERY long time before trees return to that area.

It's also interesting that the Rim Fire is burning through an area that was burned 47 years ago. It was heavily replanted and I went through there during the Sonora 49'er a few years back. Interesting to see an area of forest with nothing but ~20' trees. I suspect the whole thing is all gone...again.

BOOF 160, AMA, RA, MOA, HOG
Live life like you stole it!
Your $5 off SMUGMUG Coupon is
hESgLtqESqM1Q

Gerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:28 AM   #53
Stinez

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Stu View Post
From the same article: "Because we are in such tremendous deficit of this post-fire habitat type, especially in this area, the Rim Fire is a good thing ecologically," Hanson said. "This is not destruction, this is ecological restoration."

Sucks right now, but necessary and a long-term good.

Hope no one gets killed. Everything else will come back, eventually...
The people tasked with protecting the giant sequoias think a smallish fire through there would be good for the area.

All of this underbrush, as has been mentioned, is harmful in the long term.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:53 AM   #54
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerg View Post
I was part of a group that planted about 400+ trees along a trail our Jeep Club maintains. It's been so dry since the fire that there is less than 5% of those trees have survived. It's going to be a VERY long time before trees return to that area.
Part of that is likely due to hydrophobic soil conditions. I don't know the chemistry of it, but after a fire the soil actually repels moisture. The first year of rain will bead and run off, rather than infiltrating. The higher runoff velocity also contributes to erosion and stream sedimentation. Expect some muddy rivers this year, with low fish counts.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:25 PM   #55
St.Stan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
The Star Fire burned a lot of area around French Meadows and even though they reseeded, the brush got a good head start. But you can see the tops of the pines sticking out above the brush, eventually they'll get tall enough to shade it out.

I think a lot of the high intensity burning in the Rim Fire was in 20 year old pine plantations planted after the last fire. The trees are close together and have a higher percentage of needles relative to their size than bigger trees so the fire really gets going more so than a stand of mature timber.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:38 PM   #56
TierHawg
Herder of the J-Cats

Oddometer: 130
I was up in Crystal Falls visiting my step-mom yesterday. Just depressing. The air was bad, and the roads and businesses just seemed empty. Not sure if many are going to head up 108 for the Labor Day weekend. The effects of this fire may be felt for a long time.
TierHawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:15 PM   #57
dman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 565
I was up in Ebbetts Pass/Markleeville and Gardnerville last weekend and the smoke was pretty bad starting below Angels Camp. I'm thinking about camping at Big Trees State Park mid-next week before heading further east and south. Any forecast on smoke around Arnold by next week? I breathed enough last week, don't want to do it again.

-dman
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:52 PM   #58
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,191
quite a few amazing shots here
http://imgur.com/a/qCgiJ
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:30 AM   #59
Stinez

This picture makes me think that we're going to have some serious slide issues in the next several years.

PS Those are some heartbreaking pics.

IMO Some of these pics seem to show that the canopy can survive if we manage the underbrush.

Old 09-05-2013, 10:34 AM   #60
ADVMindset
Americana Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,137
Rim fire cause update...

I hadn't heard much about the possible cause of the Rim fire until a few days ago and they were speculating that pot growers could have been guilty.....
Well I just received a news update from a Sacramento news channel that it was caused by a hunter with an illegal fire ! What a dumbass for even thinking about having a fire as dry as it is, let alone for not tending to it properly ! They said no arrests have been made yet. I think they need to prosecute this IDIOT !!!
ADVMindset is offline   Reply With Quote