Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2013, 12:46 AM   #3871
Ron50
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiz.au View Post
Hello everyone,

Need to go to Bathurst in a few weeks just for the weekend. The bloke there is telling me to go Goulburn, Taralgon, Blacksprings, Rockley way from Goulburn.

I'm not looking for an adventure, in fact I would probably take the blacktop through Yass, Cowra and Blaney for this trip otherwise. I am also undecided yet about taking the 4WD or the F650GS Dakar. But this guy reckons it's heaps quicker than than my normal road route? Google says it's nearly an hour longer, and the same distance. (276km vs 295km on Blacktop) So I'm buggered if I can work out how it could be quicker?

Does any one have any recent info on this route that's been suggested through Abercrombie?

Thanks,
G.

The original advice was good but I'd go through Oberon and O'Connell rather than Rockley -- good blacktop all the way and food and fuel available. I wouldn't put too much reliance on Google; the times may have been from before the road from Goulburn to Black Springs was all sealed and renamed as part of The Tablelands Way.

Ron50 screwed with this post 08-27-2013 at 01:07 AM
Ron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:48 AM   #3872
havafati
Yassdafarian

Oddometer: 2,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by godsilla View Post

bludger.

ha ha
havafati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:50 AM   #3873
ferals5
f5eral

Oddometer: 1,021
Can't believe fati would swerve and crash to miss DD...

I'd have hit him Dave...
ferals5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:08 AM   #3874
dirty dennis
are we there yet

Oddometer: 2,345
you wouldnt be able to catch me. dreamer!!

7th Day Adventourist & Yassdasafarian
dirty dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:10 AM   #3875
ferals5
f5eral

Oddometer: 1,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty dennis View Post
you wouldnt be able to catch me. dreamer!!
didn't catch you on the weekend either...

you missed a good one
ferals5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:49 AM   #3876
dirty dennis
are we there yet

Oddometer: 2,345
yeah, so it seems. just had a couple of things to get done so thats the way it goes!

7th Day Adventourist & Yassdasafarian
dirty dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 04:11 PM   #3877
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,342
Reluctant to start a tyre discussion, but ...

Has anyone tried a Mitas E09 Dakar on one of the higher HP bikes ... ?

The new E09 Dakar is supposed to be tougher than the E09 Adventure ...

Tougher compound and sidewall ...

The last time I ran an E09 there wasn't the choice - but I presume that was what is now called the E09 Adventure - and that was on the DR650, which was pretty easy on tyres ...
Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:09 PM   #3878
Jdeks
Departed

Oddometer: 958
I used one (the dakar) to take all those photos above.

Very good in sand. Fairly good one rocky trails. OK in mud, but not much lateral tractional in corners. Interesting on wet tarmac. Excellent mileage (3 return trips to and from sale-cbr, a series of weekend runs, and THEN the run to birdsville and it still had a bit of life left in it).

They are, however, the single hardest sidewall I have ever encountered. I ran one with a flat rear for almost 100km on the 950, and didn't even NOTICE. Couldn't break the bead, even with the whole bike up on the sidestand trying to press the wall in. Had to take it over to the local mechanic in Birdsville, and use their TRUCK tire press to get the bastard off.

So - If you'e heading out west, I'd recommend taking one, and leaving your spare tubes and tire levers at home.
Jdeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:21 PM   #3879
havafati
Yassdafarian

Oddometer: 2,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdeks View Post

Very good in sand. Fairly good one rocky trails. OK in mud, but not much lateral tractional in corners. Interesting on wet tarmac. Excellent mileage (3 return trips to and from sale-cbr, a series of weekend runs, and THEN the run to birdsville and it still had a bit of life left in it).

They are, however, the single hardest sidewall I have ever encountered. I ran one with a flat rear for almost 100km on the 950, and didn't even NOTICE. Couldn't break the bead, even with the whole bike up on the sidestand trying to press the wall in. Had to take it over to the local mechanic in Birdsville, and use their TRUCK tire press to get the bastard off.

So - If you'e heading out west, I'd recommend taking one, and leaving your spare tubes and tire levers at home.

I'll attest to Rowans sidewall problems. The reddest he was for the whole trip.....

Cheers
Fati
havafati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:15 PM   #3880
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by havafati View Post
I'll attest to Rowans sidewall problems. The reddest he was for the whole trip.....

Cheers
Fati

Thanks Rowan and Fati

I had read something similar re' difficulty fitting and removing - in fact, someone else reported riding on an undetected flat ...

The flipside might be that you could run it with a low pressure on fire trails ...

I'll give it a try ...

If it can survive a 950 reasonably well, then should be OK ...
Old 08-27-2013, 08:36 PM   #3881
Jdeks
Departed

Low pressure? You can run it with NO pressure.

Which is what I did on a trip earlier this year to Lovaks hut near Jamieson when it started to rain, and we got lost on the side of a muddy hill.

Seriously, it's STIFF.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:10 PM   #3882
GodSilla
I did that.

Oddometer: 7,600
Hi Hoots, I'm just having a Mitas Stone King removed from the rear of my XR600 today, the front (other brand) is worn out at around 5k but the Mitas rear has done 8k and I still can't kill the last bit. They prolly aren't as stiff as the above tyre, but they wear forever (and ever, and ever, and....). FYI and consideration. Cheers.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:32 PM   #3883
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodSilla View Post
Hi Hoots, I'm just having a Mitas Stone King removed from the rear of my XR600 today, the front (other brand) is worn out at around 5k but the Mitas rear has done 8k and I still can't kill the last bit. They prolly aren't as stiff as the above tyre, but they wear forever (and ever, and ever, and....). FYI and consideration. Cheers.
8k is pretty amazing ...

I think about 4K is my record (an E07), although seem to ditch tyres earlier than most people ...

I'll try this E09 Dakar ...

I was intending to put a Scorpion Rally on the back this time, but looked at one and was a bit dissuaded by the lack of depth in the tread - sort of resembled a partly-worn E09, which led me to think that ...

And the Motoz Tractionator I think just tried to too hard to grip the road - got worn down very quickly, and is no longer tractionating ...

The quirky (almost ridiculous) little MT43 trials hybrid is still my favourite on the 690 thus far ...
Old 08-27-2013, 11:09 PM   #3884
Jdeks
Departed

I'm just surprised that with all this talk of stiffness flying around, nobody's made a single pun. Not even ONE. Poor form, gents.

Hoots, I scrounged a Scorp Rally at about 70% for the trip BACK from BVille ( for $50, score!). It was a 140, so a bit narrow for the 950, but fairly comparable to the E09 TBH, just didn't last quite as long, and it would slip up on the tarmac pretty easily. Stil, not a bad tire, esp in the sand. I think you can see it on the bike in the dunes in the photos before
Old 08-28-2013, 10:38 PM   #3885
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Oddometer: 8,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdeks View Post

That old tyre on the back of 'Kenny' doesn't like loose gravel!!!!,
It's a Pirelli MT13 [400x18"] - what's that one you've got off the KTM??
Cheers
Baza
hunter_greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote