User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2013, 09:58 PM   #196
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Oddometer: 327
Day 49

Made it to Ojai, Ca. yesterday where it was thank god cooler, because with the temp going up to 44c in the valley this was not fun at all, no pictures of that just blasted through as fast as I could.
From Taft to Ojai is Hwy 33 that runs through the Los Padres National Forest and that is a blast to ride, with temperatures dropping the further in and up you go, made for some welcome relief.

Today I did drive along Hwy1 and stopped at all the beaches to find some real beauty, but with the temperature at only 23c and a stiff breeze not much luck, maybe tomorrow.

Have been dallying around a bit and beating the shit out of the Mitas E07 Dakar tires so that I can order some new ones before heading South, have over 21000 km or 13125 mi on them and there is still thread left, will take a picture of them when I put the new ones on and give the final numbers.

Jeff
Super Tenere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 12:13 PM   #197
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Day 50 51

Spent some time around the LA beaches and then headed towards San Diego and camped at the San Mateo Campground near San Clemente, not much rest because some kind of war games going on in the hills, bombing and gun shots all night long.
Try to find some other quiet place to stay for tonight, also fond out that my tires will be arriving on Monday and so I will have to hang around here for a few days.

Look at the kid on the left as he will be passing this lady.

Jeff

Super Tenere screwed with this post 08-22-2013 at 12:18 PM
Old 08-22-2013, 04:33 PM   #198
TomsFunMachine
Apprentice Adventure

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Tenere View Post
From Taft to Ojai is Hwy 33 that runs through the Los Padres National Forest and that is a blast to ride, with temperatures dropping the further in and up you go, made for some welcome relief...
I found myself on that road back in November of 2012, looking for an interesting road between the central (San Juaquin) valley and Ventura. As the road started to climb, it was about 11pm, I got tired, and I happened upon one of those brown California road signs with the picture of a tent, and a right turn arrow. I followed the dirt road, crossed a wide creek, crashed through a little ice, and found my camp for the night. Fortunately I was in my 4x4 camper van w/heater

The ride up and over Pine Mountain the next morning was beautiful in the van, particularly where it drops into Ojai. On a bike, it must be fantastic!

That's quite a journey you're on, it's on my bucket list
Old 08-22-2013, 06:52 PM   #199
bchbumn
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Just stumbled on your thread tonight. Looks like an awesome trip! Be safe, and good luck!
Old 08-23-2013, 11:28 AM   #200
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsFunMachine View Post
I found myself on that road back in November of 2012, looking for an interesting road between the central (San Juaquin) valley and Ventura. As the road started to climb, it was about 11pm, I got tired, and I happened upon one of those brown California road signs with the picture of a tent, and a right turn arrow. I followed the dirt road, crossed a wide creek, crashed through a little ice, and found my camp for the night. Fortunately I was in my 4x4 camper van w/heater

The ride up and over Pine Mountain the next morning was beautiful in the van, particularly where it drops into Ojai. On a bike, it must be fantastic!

That's quite a journey you're on, it's on my bucket list
Hey TomsFunMachine, on a motorcycle is always more fun when it comes to crazy curves and inhaling the surroundings, and thanks for coming along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchbumn View Post
Just stumbled on your thread tonight. Looks like an awesome trip! Be safe, and good luck!
Thanks bchbumn, and great to have you along.

Jeff
Old 08-23-2013, 11:30 AM   #201
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Day 52

Had a good night at the Lilac Oaks Campground in Valley Center, Ca. Checking the stats on my tires twice a day, and then will need to put them on, so today will look for places that can do it for not to much money.

Had a great get together with Wei (NomadicOne) and Paul with Asli that are also going to Mexico and beyond, we will be going as a group and that should be better when it comes to getting hassled by the authorities and other unwanted things.

Have tallied the amount of money that I have spent for the last 50 days (25% of the trip) and have come just a few dollars short of $3000 (30% of the trip). Not bad considering that it also includes a oil change and several Park entrance fee's, this should be easier and get better when we hit south of the border.

Jeff
Old 08-23-2013, 11:42 AM   #202
paulsc
Stromtrooper

Oddometer: 5
Hi Jeff! Asli & I just went through your thread, cool trip so far! Looking forward to riding to mexico together!
paulsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 12:13 PM   #203
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsc View Post
Hi Jeff! Asli & I just went through your thread, cool trip so far! Looking forward to riding to mexico together!
Thanks Paul, same here and will make the days seem less long.

Jeff
Old 08-25-2013, 10:42 AM   #204
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

day 53/54

Last couple of days just hanging out and camping around in the mountain's of San Diego, been riding the crazy twisties around here, man what a job this is but someone has to do it, Hwy 76 to the S6 in the Palomar Mountains to the Observatory is awesome and there are a ton of others but that one stuck out.
Pictures to follow because this camping has very slow connection.

Jeff
Old 08-25-2013, 03:53 PM   #205
Icy Roads
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
One of my favorite places

Quote:
Last couple of days just hanging out and camping around in the mountain's of San Diego, been riding the crazy twisties around here, man what a job this is but someone has to do it, Hwy 76 to the S6 in the Palomar Mountains to the Observatory is awesome and there are a ton of others but that one stuck out.
Pictures to follow because this camping has very slow connection.

Jeff
I love San Diego you lucky dog!
Old 08-26-2013, 10:39 PM   #206
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Roads View Post
I love San Diego you lucky dog!
Thanks Icy Roads, there are so many crazy roads to ride around here, and the weather is great, man what a job.

Jeff
Old 08-26-2013, 10:43 PM   #207
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Day 55

As promised the pictures of the Palomar Observatory and the bikers hangout.

Here are the pictures of my old tires after 21837 km's or 13648 miles, the rear is almost finished but the front has some cupping going on but would be good for a couple thousand more if needed, not bad considering the roads I have taken with them, lets hope the next set last as long or better.
Rear

Front

After finally having my new tires installed I am ready to go to Mexico, will head out after meeting up with Wei, Paul and Asli just before the border tomorrow.

Jeff
Old 08-27-2013, 10:33 PM   #208
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Day 56

First I would like to thank Tim, Kari and the kids for being so kind as to have my tires shipped to them and for hosting me during this time, it was great to see you guys again and forever grateful for the generous hospitality that you offered.

Got together with Wei, Paul and Asli just before Mexico and headed to the border that took about 2 hrs to complete, then down Hwy1 and then Hwy3 across to San Felipe.

Tomorrow of the beaten path along the Gulf of California, and according to Wei it's only about 200km of off road, we will see about that come tomorrow.

Jeff
Old 08-28-2013, 03:51 AM   #209
grahamspc
Smitty

Oddometer: 142
Very good mileage out of those tires...compared to Metzlers on my GS....I may have missed a thread..are you replacing them with the same tire??..enjoy Mexico.
grahamspc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:31 PM   #210
ReadyFreddy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Quote:

Have tallied the amount of money that I have spent for the last 50 days (25% of the trip) and have come just a few dollars short of $3000 (30% of the trip). Not bad considering that it also includes a oil change and several Park entrance fee's, this should be easier and get better when we hit south of the border.

Jeff
Wow, Jeff, that's really good!! Almost spent that in the two weeks Down East!! so you're doing great budget-wise....You should teach a class to my youngest daughter about frugality..hehehe
ReadyFreddy is offline   Reply With Quote