User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2013, 08:12 AM   #1
WhicheverAnyWayCan OP
Deaf Biker

Oddometer: 840
BAM & RoB 2014?

I am tentatively planning on doing BAM and RoB in summer of 2014 and as of now, it is looking possible for me to do the trip next summer. I should know something for sure before Thanksgiving this year.

I am hoping to ride the entirely section or at least major of it. I acknowledge that eastern section is very difficult but I am up for the task and believe I am capable of it. After doing BAM, plan to ride portion of Trans-Siberia Hwy getting to Kolyma Hwy and up to beginning of RoB. Ideally, I'd prefer Old Summer Road if the river is not too high to cross.

My plan is to ride to west coast and ship bike from west coast of USA mid-June and try to be in Russia before July 1st to ride BAM in month of July and then do Road of Bones before making a return trip back to USA. Ideally, air ship it from USA to Korea but sea ship it back to USA on RORO ship.

I was just checking to see if anyone on here have been contemplating similar trip? Or at least one of the road? Whatever! Just didn't hurt to see if there might be someone interested in making the attempt and would like to team up so teamwork effort will help get us through difficult section.

PM or reply to this thread if interested.

WhicheverAnyWayCan screwed with this post 08-06-2013 at 08:41 AM
WhicheverAnyWayCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:23 AM   #2
FlyingPenguin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
I am also in the planning stages for a similar trip- Vlad, ROB, BAM and thence into Mongolia, Pamir Hwy and 'Stans. Possibly a route thru the Anabar Road and Vilyuisky Trakt. Sort of a backwards version of Colebatchs route a few years ago.

I may be leaving a bit earlier. Right now I'm thinking of flying me and the bike out of Vancouver in late May or early June.

Deadhorse- 2002, 2012
ALCAN 5000- 2004
COBDR- 2014
FlyingPenguin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:40 PM   #3
WhicheverAnyWayCan OP
Deaf Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin74Q View Post

I may be leaving a bit earlier. Right now I'm thinking of flying me and the bike out of Vancouver in late May or early June.

Hmm.. let me know how that work out for you financially. It seems pricey to ship bike to Vlad at this time. I plan to have a word with Doogle (here on ADV) what his latest total price was shipping/flying from Richmond Powersport(Vancouver BC, Canada) to S.Korea. My high school buddy is now living in Eugene, Oregon and I may stay with her while I explore cheapest option at the time between Portland/Seattle/Vancouver. If need to, I could ship bike from Vancouver and fly from other city to keep cost low and similar situation on return trip.

Because I want to do entire section of BAM, I would have to be as light as possible so I am gonna leave half my stuff at friend's and travel with what I know I will need and keep them in top box (no sides). I am in contact with the local in Siberia , Bolot BochKarev, and few months before my trip to Siberia, He and I will coordinate where I can ship 2 sets of tires, 1 set of tubes, and a case of oil so I can have access to them easily when I need to.

I am going to defer Mongolia, western Russia, and Europe trip until other time. My plan is to do eastern Siberia, North/Central/South America then if budget permit maybe continue the trip in Africa up immediately after South America.

At this rate, it looks like 2015 is a solid departing date instead of next year (2014).
Old 08-28-2013, 12:45 PM   #4
WhicheverAnyWayCan OP
Deaf Biker

Oh yeah, I was quoted shipping from Newark, NJ to England for $700 (cash) or $740 (credit card) with sea freight then there is $200 port fee in England prior to picking up bike. I have not determined if the insurance and fuel cost from England to beginning of western section of BAM would be 'feasible' vs $500 in fuel cost getting from eastern NC to Eugene, OR. I have few buddies between here and Eugene for free overnight so that is big difference for me.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:41 PM   #5
FlyingPenguin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
My plan so far is to use Richmond powersports also and fly with the bike into S Korea.
Initially I was going to start in Europe and head east but after researching the RR's and weather perhaps it is better to start in the East. Seems that it is better to be on the BAM & ROB earlier than later and I don't want to get in a hurry in KG and the Pamirs and Tuva.

Deadhorse- 2002, 2012
ALCAN 5000- 2004
COBDR- 2014
FlyingPenguin is online now   Reply With Quote