Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2013, 03:43 PM   #76
Todd34 OP
Toubab

Oddometer: 821
I went home and checked the 25 freaking sheets that I had signed at the end of our pack out. No bike on the shipping sheets and no bike on the storage sheets. I couldn't believe that the one thing that I forgot to check for on the packing list was the bike. I'm a fucking idiot!

I called the shipping company and asked them but their sheets were the originals so they said the same thing. The gal asked me if I was sure there was a motorcycle!

I helped them load it into the truck.

She checked the sheets again and checked the warehouse but no bike.

At that point I lost it and told her that I helped load it into their truck and had witnesses, that I wanted everyone's name that did the pack out because I was going to file a stolen vehicle report. She asked for two hours to figure out where it went. It was a VERY long hour before she called me back.

It's not on any paperwork but she assured me that it's in crate #6 and it's enroute with the rest of our HHE. How's that for a stressful conversation?
Todd34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 05:30 PM   #77
REAPER_ONE
Done

Oddometer: 3,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd34 View Post
It's not on any paperwork but she assured me that it's in crate #6 and it's enroute with the rest of our HHE. How's that for a stressful conversation?
As you well know shit happens but for some reason the stress dissolves quicker when you post the good, bad, and this case potentially ugly here. Can't wait to see you riding through African Paradise <-- only a joke if you can't appreciate how the other 90% of the world is. Living in it is just like camping but everyone wants to take a shit in your tent and there are no trash cans around.
REAPER_ONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 04:10 AM   #78
Todd34 OP
Toubab

Yeah, I figured if anyone would understand it would be this crew. I just want the bike to get here so I can start exploring this place in earnest.

Every time I drive down the street I find something that makes me laugh and I love it. There are so many things here that just wouldn't make sense to most Americans. I think my favorite so far is the guy that herds his longhorn cattle past all of the high dollar houses every day. He herds them right across major roads and everyone just stops and watches them go by. He lets them graze in empty lots next to embassies and beach villas and that's just how it goes.

All the trash sucks though.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:20 AM   #79
REAPER_ONE
Done

Oddometer: 3,037
That would be video worthy on this thread. When someone asks me about a particular shit hole (place and not the people), I tell them to drive my photo album to the top of one of the largest transfer station's dump piles, roll down all the windows, and flip through the pages and eat lunch. Heat always adds to the experience Loved the people except the ones who were shooting at me... then I was indifferent. you know...Just a target

Please keep the photos coming. Random humor a bonus.
REAPER_ONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:01 AM   #80
XC Rider
Motorcycle Vagabond

Oddometer: 2,782
Damn Todd, that made my blood pressure rise just reading about it! Glad it's all sorted out (for the time being). Say, do you know anything about Algeria, Western Sahara, and Mauritania? Especially safety wise for a person traveling by motorcycle? I'm starting to put together my itinerary for next summer, and I was thinking about checking out the Iberian peninsula (Spain & Portugal), and figured I might take a ferry and go to Morocco just to say I've been to Africa on a motorcycle. Then it occurred to me that Dakar is just a little bit farther down the road. Only thing is I'd have to traverse through either Algeria, Western Sahara, and Mauritania. Any thoughts?
SpotWalla: WHERE IS XC RIDER!?
XC Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:08 AM   #81
goosecreek
a desk prop

Oddometer: 2,203
Wow that was an emotional roller coaster. Man I hope this turns out okay.
goosecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:34 PM   #82
gastone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,945
Shit Todd, just read about the fuck up. Sorry to hear that you're going through this man.
VAC
You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty...
gastone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 04:13 PM   #83
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

Oddometer: 4,295
There are several RRs about Morocco on ADV. Both Pyndon and Walter Colebatch have done them - in the past couple of years. IIRC, Pyndon was originally going to head into one of the countries you mention and had to abort.

Walter's from 2011:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=727119

Pyndon from 2009:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=464723

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC Rider View Post
Damn Todd, that made my blood pressure rise just reading about it! Glad it's all sorted out (for the time being). Say, do you know anything about Algeria, Western Sahara, and Mauritania? Especially safety wise for a person traveling by motorcycle? I'm starting to put together my itinerary for next summer, and I was thinking about checking out the Iberian peninsula (Spain & Portugal), and figured I might take a ferry and go to Morocco just to say I've been to Africa on a motorcycle. Then it occurred to me that Dakar is just a little bit farther down the road. Only thing is I'd have to traverse through either Algeria, Western Sahara, and Mauritania. Any thoughts?

"For those who fight for it life has a flavor the protected never know."
USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
6USMC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:20 AM   #84
Todd34 OP
Toubab

Hey Denis,
I'll ask around at work tomorrow but from the limited amount that I've heard it's a bit sketchy between Morocco and Dakar. I had hoped to ride up the coast next spring from Dakar to Morocco and then ride around a bit but I may end up either shipping the bike or just renting one up there.

Summer time in Morocco might be rough. I think Walter did it in August or September and it was very hot. I'm shooting for either the Spring or Fall.

But you know you are welcome here anytime you decide to come over. The weather is never really too hot and I've been told that the winter here is great. Cool but not too cold.

Todd34 screwed with this post 08-27-2013 at 11:25 AM
Old 08-27-2013, 11:24 AM   #85
Todd34 OP
Toubab

Thanks guys. It was one hell of a stressful day. It hasn't been the smoothest ride so far. They shipped my UAB (air that is supposed to arrive in a week) to Dakar via Dubai for some reason and it took almost three weeks. They were supposed to have my HHE here on 8/13 and then pushed that to 9/5 and then the whole missing motorcycle thing pushed me over the edge.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:13 PM   #86
JaxObsessed
RushMoran....... :D

Oddometer: 10,153
Crossing fingers for you Todd.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:44 PM   #87
Todd34 OP
Toubab

Well, they did paint it red and white........

Old 08-27-2013, 02:45 PM   #88
Todd34 OP
Toubab

Old 08-28-2013, 02:14 PM   #89
Todd34 OP
Toubab

Saw these two at the hardware store.