'08 ZZR600 minty
steveWFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:31 PM   #17
mudvaynedude122
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesLathe View Post
I used to build custom bicycle frames and tried several well recommended powder coaters over the years. Rust issues screwed me. I can't imagine ever trusting powder coating again no matter how many glowing reports I hear.

You might not think of rust with aluminum, but it does corrode and can certainly do that under the powder coat. Then, as your friends say, it can peel off.

Sailah says it's cheap. It isn't necessarily inexpensive, but cheap sounds right. I think I paid quite handsomely for cheap work.
As someone who powder coats quite a bit, I am interested in the rust issues. I have yet to experience a powder coat failure on a properly prepped and blasted part. Where the parts that you had done blasted before hand? Also what kind of areas did the rust start at? Tight corners, edges, started on the bare metal areas that had to be masked off and crept under the powder coating?

Thanks

"The very basic core of a man's living spirit is his passion for adventure." -Jon Krakauer
mudvaynedude122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:35 PM   #18
Sevv
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesLathe View Post
I used to build custom bicycle frames and tried several well recommended powder coaters over the years. Rust issues screwed me. I can't imagine ever trusting powder coating again no matter how many glowing reports I hear.

You might not think of rust with aluminum, but it does corrode and can certainly do that under the powder coat. Then, as your friends say, it can peel off.

Sailah says it's cheap. It isn't necessarily inexpensive, but cheap sounds right. I think I paid quite handsomely for cheap work.
Aluminum needs to be exposed to oxygen to oxidize, properly applied powder coat will not let the air in to start the process.
Sevv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:36 PM   #19
mudvaynedude122
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggy50361 View Post
I've had the same issues with PC, if not undertaken correctly it will peel (aluminium corrosion).
Anodising looks good but where you rub up against the bike will eventually wear through the protective layer.
Polishing a frame is a daunting task plus will take up all your time keeping it in good condition, and if anyone tells you to clear coat the finished article, just remember the preparation process, new paint needs a keyed surface to stick to, but you've just spent 6 months removing every minute scratch on the frame to make it sparkle so no key, no adhesion!

If it was my bike, I'd media blast the frame after removing any scratches then clear coat.
Yes, is is not ideal to use clear paint or powder coat over a polished surface, but when its polished aluminum, the choices are very limited and clear powder coat is at the better end of the spectrum. Again, the polished, completely smooth finish is not ideal and durability will be sacrificed, but when you have a polished frame, durability wasn't the main concern to begin with. There are always sacrifices when it comes to form vs. function.

"The very basic core of a man's living spirit is his passion for adventure." -Jon Krakauer
Old 08-26-2013, 02:45 AM   #20
foggy50361
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudvaynedude122 View Post
Yes, is is not ideal to use clear paint or powder coat over a polished surface, but when its polished aluminum, the choices are very limited and clear powder coat is at the better end of the spectrum. Again, the polished, completely smooth finish is not ideal and durability will be sacrificed, but when you have a polished frame, durability wasn't the main concern to begin with. There are always sacrifices when it comes to form vs. function.
I understand, just feel if you know a finish is going to fail, because it will, why waste your money/time/effort. Nothing more soul destrying than watching all your hard work going to s**t in front of your eyes and there is nothing you can do about it, unless you start all over again.
Dr Seuss. One man getting it right all the time
foggy50361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:53 AM   #21
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
Clear coating of any kind over polished aluminium is a complete waste of time. However if customers insist, then I doubt very much anyone doing that sort of work commercially is going to refuse to do it?

Powder coating applied over bare metal may well also fail after a while. Proper way to coat a frame is to blast clean, heat in oven to degas, then apply epoxy powder primer, and finally top finishing coat.

A lot of people miss out the epoxy prime coat, and this can lead to problems on bike frames and parts.
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:35 PM   #22
mudvaynedude122
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggy50361 View Post
I understand, just feel if you know a finish is going to fail, because it will, why waste your money/time/effort. Nothing more soul destrying than watching all your hard work going to s**t in front of your eyes and there is nothing you can do about it, unless you start all over again.
I understand your point of view, I guess I just look at it a different way. My perspective is that all coatings will eventually fail, or get so worn down that you will want to redo them anyways. Coatings serve 2 purposes, to temporarily protect the underlying material and also for aesthetics. In the case of coating polished aluminum, aesthetics don't play any role so we are purely looking at the functional aspect. Say you get 20 years out of a fully prepped and powder coated piece, maybe you will only get 5 years out of the clear powder coating over a polished surface. How long would you get out of bare polished aluminum before it has to be re-polished?

I understand that polished pieces can be maintained and I do leave certain polished aluminum pieces bare if they are easy to remove and polish. A frame is not the easiest thing in the world to maintain the polishing on. Lots of tight corners, stuff in the way, ect, it will never look as good as the day you first polished it and will continue to go downhill unless you do a completely disassembly. Putting a coating on it(although it does degrade the polished look slightly) will maintain an overall better look for a longer period of time.

Again, thats just my take on it.

Old 08-29-2013, 12:37 AM   #23
foggy50361
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Thumb And I get where you're coming from.

mudvaynedude122, I'm one of the converted. My baby is an E30 turbo doesn’t come out when its raining bla, bla, bla. She's polished, plated, painted and powder coated, so I really do get it, I just think it's an XR650, used maybe everyday why make life hard on your self. Use the most robust method of protecting the frame for the future.
(Also please don't think I'm being dismissive about the bike as everybody buys either what they can afford or what they fall in love with, so each to there own)
Dr Seuss. One man getting it right all the time

foggy50361 screwed with this post 08-29-2013 at 12:40 AM Reason: Could also be cause I'm getting old!
foggy50361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 01:17 AM   #24
subybaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,889
Oh, come on- do it right.