Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2013, 06:53 PM   #31
hexnut
just cruising

Oddometer: 1,446
I restored an 8 HP 1957 Eagle a few years ago.

hexnuts...a curse put on your balls by a mean gypsy
3/5 Cav, C Troop, BlackKnights, Vietnam 1969
hexnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:59 PM   #32
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by hexnut View Post

Gorgeous!
Old 08-28-2013, 02:19 AM   #33
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogogordy View Post
The Stellas are built in India by LML. They did purchase some of Piaggio's old tooling, but they never made "real" Vespas. They made Indian-made, licensed similar versions of them called Bajaj for sale in that market. Big differentiation there. And a different set of standards as well by those local consumers....

I worked for a Genuine dealership for nearly 4 years....the Stella isnt the same machine as a Vespa...not close. They'd like you to think so (GSC) but for those of us who have owned real, P-Series Vespas....we know better.

There's a darn good reason a 30 year old Vespa in decent shape still commands as much as a new Stella and used Stella prices aren't even comparable.

Im not saying the Stella is bad, but its not a Vespa. No matter how hard you wish it to be.
I don't know what the scooters LML made for Vespa were called, but it was not Bajaj. They were a completely separate company, and built only 4 stroke scooters. The Stella, LML Star, and Belladonna are all near perfect Vespa P series copies, to the point where 99% of the parts are interchangeable. Many vintage Vespa P series scooters have complete LML motors and other Indian made parts in them. They are direct bolt in replacements. The only big difference between the Stella and a Vespa P series is the quality of the engine and electrical. The Stella body/frame is solid as a rock, and should last through a truckload of LML engines.

JerryH screwed with this post 08-28-2013 at 02:28 AM
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:20 AM   #34
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by hexnut View Post

How could anyone restore something like that and not keep it?

Hear is a nice one. Price is not that bad if you could get parts. No more than a PCX150 OTD.

http://tucson.craigslist.org/mcy/3954441711.html

JerryH screwed with this post 08-28-2013 at 02:29 AM
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:04 AM   #35
baloneyskin daddy
bikaholic

Oddometer: 2,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
How could anyone restore something like that and not keep it?

Hear is a nice one. Price is not that bad if you could get parts. No more than a PCX150 OTD.

http://tucson.craigslist.org/mcy/3954441711.html
What happens a lot of times is as you rummage around trying to scrounge up parts for your build you stumble upon other interesting bikes or parts of bikes and the urge to do another build starts to creep in even as you work on complete the 1st one.And while it would be nice to keep all of them ,its not always monetarily or physically possible. And to some people it's simply another project and lets move on to the next.
baloneyskin daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:43 PM   #36
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I don't know what the scooters LML made for Vespa were called, but it was not Bajaj. They were a completely separate company, and built only 4 stroke scooters. The Stella, LML Star, and Belladonna are all near perfect Vespa P series copies, to the point where 99% of the parts are interchangeable. Many vintage Vespa P series scooters have complete LML motors and other Indian made parts in them. They are direct bolt in replacements. The only big difference between the Stella and a Vespa P series is the quality of the engine and electrical. The Stella body/frame is solid as a rock, and should last through a truckload of LML engines.
Behold! The Bajaj 2T! Not a Vespa, not a 4T. http://scoot.net/classifieds/forsale.html?id=44469

The big difference between the Stella and the Vespa P series is the quality. Period. Engine, electrical, frame, paint, rubber. Have I missed anything?

Sorry, Ive sold more of them than you've ever owned...and saw them after the fact for warranty work. Including broken or poorly made frame welds, terrible paint, and rubber which turns to goo in the showroom.

A copy of an iconic and loved product is never an iconic and loved product. Its one that wishes to capitalize on the reputation earned by another, and rarely even comes in a close second. Always cheaper....and always "cheaper".

Not the same experience.
Old 08-28-2013, 04:20 PM   #37
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogogordy View Post
Behold! The Bajaj 2T! Not a Vespa, not a 4T. http://scoot.net/classifieds/forsale.html?id=44469

The big difference between the Stella and the Vespa P series is the quality. Period. Engine, electrical, frame, paint, rubber. Have I missed anything?

Sorry, Ive sold more of them than you've ever owned...and saw them after the fact for warranty work. Including broken or poorly made frame welds, terrible paint, and rubber which turns to goo in the showroom.

A copy of an iconic and loved product is never an iconic and loved product. Its one that wishes to capitalize on the reputation earned by another, and rarely even comes in a close second. Always cheaper....and always "cheaper".

Not the same experience.
I owned a Stella several years ago and I concur. It is NOT a Vespa. While it was fun to play with and I did some go fast work to mine (and ultimately put a sidecar on it) the quality was a distant cousin to a Vespa. After installing the Pinasco top end I kept waiting for the bottom end to protest in the form of a loud catastrophic "bang".

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:56 PM   #38
blugg1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 404
Gogogordy, hey thanks, I did the link. Help me with this: It has 265 miles on the ODO and has a rebuilt engine?
Old 08-29-2013, 02:40 AM   #39
DaBinChe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,022
Quote:
IMO at least, because it is not a close copy of the original it is not worth nearly as much, BUT, I do love the way it looks. If you can't have the real thing, then something that looks like the real thing (like Kawasaki's copy of the Triumph Bonneville) is the next best thing. I would certainly ride it. You would likely be the only one who knew it was fake. Many people are even fooled by the modern Bonneville. I really wish it had a manual transmission, but my guess is that most potential buyers wouldn't want one. Very few new or casual scooter riders buy Stellas, and that is probably a big part of the reason. Well, that and the fact they have to be worked on a lot.
Kawasaki's copy of the Triumph Bonneville is not a copy of the bonnie but a retro version of their W series bikes which has it's origins in being a copy of the BSA A7. Only difference in this case of "copy cat" is that the "copy" is much better then the "original.
DaBinChe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:04 AM   #40
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blugg1 View Post
Gogogordy, hey thanks, I did the link. Help me with this: It has 265 miles on the ODO and has a rebuilt engine?

Seals man. They dry up with non-use, and the bike wont run.

70 Y/O technology combined With 30 Y/O materials....

(no, thats not my bike)
Old 08-29-2013, 07:10 AM   #41
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBinChe View Post
Kawasaki's copy of the Triumph Bonneville is not a copy of the bonnie but a retro version of their W series bikes which has it's origins in being a copy of the BSA A7. Only difference in this case of "copy cat" is that the "copy" is much better then the "original.
Very true....

That japanese repop ("tribute" to?) of an old british classic is a better machine, but still isnt that british classic.

Every Asian manufacturer we know has attempted to produce a Harley-inspired cruiser and while they've made some noteworthy machines none of them are Harleys and nobody (even the most complete motorcycle ignoramus) is fooled into thinking they are.

gogogordy screwed with this post 08-29-2013 at 07:46 AM
gogogordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:27 AM   #42
blugg1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 404
I had a W650 for two years. I think it was a 2001. I took the badges off the tank and it became a mystery bike. Some folks would compliment me on a remarkable restoration of an old BSA. It was reliable, good looking, comfortable, and the exhaust note was spot-on British vertical twin.

I'm wondering why in the hell I sold it.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:25 PM   #43
DaBinChe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by blugg1 View Post
I had a W650 for two years. I think it was a 2001. I took the badges off the tank and it became a mystery bike. Some folks would compliment me on a remarkable restoration of an old BSA. It was reliable, good looking, comfortable, and the exhaust note was spot-on British vertical twin.

I'm wondering why in the hell I sold it.
D'oh!!!

See that you are in Bisbee, RedArrow is gonna move there in a year.

Revising an old thread double D'oh!
DaBinChe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 12:58 PM   #44
k3ith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
I've been wondering for a few years as the old Cushmans went up in price why Cushman themselves don't go back into the scooter business. It's not like they've gone out of business, they just don't sell scooters anymore.

Personally, I've wanted one of cushman's package cars (google it kids) since I saw one used for selling ice cream when I was a kid. In retrospect, that may have been the first "motorcycle" I ever drooled over. Of course the fact that it had a big cooler filled with ice cream on the front didn't hurt.
k3ith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 04:59 PM   #45
TheReaper!
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetalscooter View Post
Real question is WHom makes that 404 cc engine? Long term reliability or Ural reliability
EXACTLY who makes it and what kind of reliability ? That said 404cc in that little thing it has to haul ass .

TheReaper!
TheReaper! is offline   Reply With Quote