User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2013, 04:06 AM   #1
Dilligaf75 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Help me decide TAT or UT/COBDR in 2 weeks

My vacation this year has had to be postponed a few times (being self employed I needed to make sure work was done first) Anyways, I have cleared 2 weeks starting Sep 13th. I have 2 full trips routed into basecamp and I just cant decide which one to take!

1-Ride the TAT in reverse from OK to Tellico and then spend a few days riding the Smokey Mountains and then up into the Shawnee in Illinois to finish up a ride I started last month (we stopped early due to a chain problem with one of the riders.) This route would bring me closer to home as I go along and would finish off with just a 5 hour ride home from the last point.

2-Trailer the bike over to somewhere near the OK/NM border and pick up the tat into CO. From there I have routed a loop following the UTBDR/COBDR. This one sure seems like more fun overall but would be stretching my vacation to all available time off and doesnt leave much room for any types of delays or problems. This route will leave me with an 18hr drive back home at the end although it will be in my suburban towing the bike.

Bike:
2007 KLR650, well farkled, d606r/mt21f, 14t front sprocket, 13k miles
Accommodations: Mostly camping with motel every 3 days or so
Experience:First year on dual sport, but been riding street for 20 years, I am confident on all conditions faced so far (gravel, dirt, single track, watercrossings, etc) I will be traveling solo, carry a SPOT with tracking on my camelbak. The bike is already set up and packed for an extended trip.

What do you think, which route would be best considering timeframe, experience, bike, etc?

Dilligaf75 screwed with this post 08-28-2013 at 04:10 AM Reason: Edit
Dilligaf75 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 02:11 AM   #2
rhino_adv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilligaf75 View Post
My vacation this year has had to be postponed a few times (being self employed I needed to make sure work was done first) Anyways, I have cleared 2 weeks starting Sep 13th. I have 2 full trips routed into basecamp and I just cant decide which one to take!

1-Ride the TAT in reverse from OK to Tellico and then spend a few days riding the Smokey Mountains and then up into the Shawnee in Illinois to finish up a ride I started last month (we stopped early due to a chain problem with one of the riders.) This route would bring me closer to home as I go along and would finish off with just a 5 hour ride home from the last point.

2-Trailer the bike over to somewhere near the OK/NM border and pick up the tat into CO. From there I have routed a loop following the UTBDR/COBDR. This one sure seems like more fun overall but would be stretching my vacation to all available time off and doesnt leave much room for any types of delays or problems. This route will leave me with an 18hr drive back home at the end although it will be in my suburban towing the bike.

Bike:
2007 KLR650, well farkled, d606r/mt21f, 14t front sprocket, 13k miles
Accommodations: Mostly camping with motel every 3 days or so
Experience:First year on dual sport, but been riding street for 20 years, I am confident on all conditions faced so far (gravel, dirt, single track, watercrossings, etc) I will be traveling solo, carry a SPOT with tracking on my camelbak. The bike is already set up and packed for an extended trip.

What do you think, which route would be best considering timeframe, experience, bike, etc?

Sean,

The eastern TAT is a lot of fun & not terribley technical. Riding solo, this is likely your best choice. That being said .......after riding with you, I'm sure YOU can handle the BDRs solo. This is undoubtedly the better of the two rides. Which ever you choose YOU will have a great ride.
Be sure to post up a ride report.

Brad
985+ Old Bridges in Missouri
PAVED ROADS...... ANOTHER PERFECT EXAMPLE OF NEEDLESS, SPENDING BY THE GOVERNMENT"
rhino_adv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 03:17 PM   #3
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,578
if you want off road fun the the OK to TN section of the TAT could be done on a street bike w/ 50/50 tires...
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:59 PM   #4
Dilligaf75 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 7
I am sitting here in my hotel in Savanna, TN. Crossing into Mississippi tomorrow. Rode down to do a couple rides in the Smokies on Sat/Sun/Mon. Started TAT yesterday. Plan to get through Arkansas and slab through OK to ride some of the CO/UT BDR's. Having a blast, later all.

Update 9/21
Something wrong with shock, feels like riding a pogo stick, adjustments on preload adjuster dont seem to make any difference, not seeing any oil leakage from shock, looks like I may be slabbing back soon.

Dilligaf75 screwed with this post 09-21-2013 at 03:27 AM
Dilligaf75 is online now   Reply With Quote