John E
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 782
Well yeah...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
So, troll from the start huh?

Jim
Didn't you read the first post? The entire thread is just trolling.

That's why it's so funny to read the incredibly ignorant arguments being made.

Its science after all...

This is the Sea
The Waterboys/Mike Scott
John E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:45 PM   #1112
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Oddometer: 7,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical C View Post
I am just pointing out the absurdity of the atgatt argument.
No..your not..you're proving your stupidity..there is science, research and data to prove, that, th vast majority of time..you wil not suffer a major head injury in a motor vehicle accident, when vehicle is of modern variety and equipped with airbags.

There is also, science, research and data, that, your head will split like a melon when impacting concrete at 20mph..or from a skateboard...or bicycle..

The rest of it..hey...up to you...I wear jeans when running to the store a few blocks away..but always a jacket and gloves..and helmet as required..

BTW I had a good friend..helping push a bike into a sprinter van..slipped off ramp, fell in parking lot, hit his head and died in front of everyone..it wasn't pretty.
VEGASGSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:51 PM   #1113
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,812
Quote:
You can say that you might hit a deer on the way to a shop so you need to protect against that but the same applies for the helmet in the car.

I am just pointing out the absurdity of the atgatt argument.
That does not hold water.

Modern cars have advanced safety systems, crash zones, seat belts and airbags, that protect the passengers. Driving this kind of vehicle, you are already “using gear”, even if all you have to do is put on your seat belt. But the rest is there, and it´s a lot more than any motorcyclist can ever have. These two cannot be compared, because they stand on different levels regarding protection. Of course you can still be killed or injured in your car. But that is a lot more probable, if you crash on a motorcycle. Riding a motorcycle without proper gear – even easier.
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:27 AM   #1114
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,689
overrated? nah. a lot of gear is like having a lot of money. its ok and good, but won't save your life if a house falls on you, or you go flying into a wall at 90mph. and if it does, you may wish it hadn't once you wake up from hitting the wall. if you know you're awake

suppose atgatt is great for sliding across pavement and some impacts, but it won't defy the laws of physics for you

let's just all keep the rubber side down. if we can do that, we can ride nekked for all it matters
Old 08-29-2013, 01:12 AM   #1115
Vertical C
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGASGSA View Post
No..your not..you're proving your stupidity..there is science, research and data to prove, that, th vast majority of time..you wil not suffer a major head injury in a motor vehicle accident, when vehicle is of modern variety and equipped with airbags.
Car crashes do have head trauma.

A new report conducted by the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia and State Farm Insurance found that of the more then 55,000 teenage drivers and their passengers who were seriously injured in auto accidents during 2009 and 2010, 30 percent suffered acute head injuries, including concussions, skull fractures and traumatic brain injuries (TBI).

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jimgorze...a-among-teens/

Motor vehicle accidents are the leading cause of all head injuries. These accidents cause about 28% of traumatic brain injuries; sports injuries cause another estimated 20%. Other common causes are household falls and physical assaults.

http://www.searcylaw.com/do-you-know/dyk-head-injury/

The ATGATT argument is that if there is a chance then you should. Therefore that follows that if there is a chance that a helmet might make a difference in a car accident then you should wear one there too.

Vertical C screwed with this post 08-29-2013 at 01:21 AM
Vertical C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:31 AM   #1116
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,812
Quote:
Car crashes

Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:07 AM   #1117
henshao
Bained

Oddometer: 607
I actually take the time to drench myself in napalm and thumbtacks before each ride, seeing as you can never wear enough gear to be 100% unharmed in a crash you might as well make sure you take far more damage than necessary.
henshao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:39 AM   #1118
Navy Chief
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,544
I have a question for Vertical C and Wraith Rider...

Why does this have to be judged in absolutes? Why can you not see (or choose not to see) that 99% of the self professed ATGATT riders use a sliding scale to judge the risks associated with a particular ride and make gear decisions according to how they perceive the risk. ATGATT is just an acronym, not a law, and not a religion... You two seem to be the only ones on this entire thread that only see this in black and white, and make completely absurd arguments to attempt to justify your gear choices.

Bottom line is we all make a conscious choice to take risks any time we throw a leg over a motorcycle and push the ignition. How we choose to mitigate those risks is a personal choice, nobody needs to be judging anybody for their decisions. I could care less if you ride naked down the Autobahn, or across the outback, why do you care what I wear?
Navy Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:11 AM   #1119
BC Brian
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
I have a question for Vertical C and Wraith Rider...

Why does this have to be judged in absolutes? Why can you not see (or choose not to see) that 99% of the self professed ATGATT riders use a sliding scale to judge the risks associated with a particular ride and make gear decisions according to how they perceive the risk. ATGATT is just an acronym, not a law, and not a religion... You two seem to be the only ones on this entire thread that only see this in black and white, and make completely absurd arguments to attempt to justify your gear choices.

Bottom line is we all make a conscious choice to take risks any time we throw a leg over a motorcycle and push the ignition. How we choose to mitigate those risks is a personal choice, nobody needs to be judging anybody for their decisions. I could care less if you ride naked down the Autobahn, or across the outback, why do you care what I wear?
I, for 1,am with Wraith Rider and Vertical C

Anything except 100% is not ATGATT

There are risks everywhere. Why single out motorcyles?

I don't think anyone is saying don't wear Gear, just that its not
totally necessary to wear it ALL, ALL the TIME
BC Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:26 AM   #1120
blk-betty OP
bam-a-lam

Oddometer: 2,364
Quote:

Exactly and yet almost every posted pick on Killboy Failure thread gets ridiculed when the rider is not completely geared up. It's the nazi attitute toward riders who choose otherwise that I find childish and a little offensive, in the same light as those that get bent out of shape if another rider they don't know fails to initiate or return a wave.

Why does one feel the need to comment about another's choice? Often ridicule is rooted in insecurities.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:37 AM   #1121
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk-betty View Post
Exactly and yet almost every posted pick on Killboy Failure thread gets ridiculed when the rider is not completely geared up. It's the nazi attitute toward riders who choose otherwise that I find childish and a little offensive, in the same light as those that get bent out of shape if another rider they don't know fails to initiate or return a wave.

Why does one feel the need to comment about another's choice? Often ridicule is rooted in insecurities.
You really do not understand the Killboy thread at all, do you?

Jim

PS Get your delicates out of the wad they are in and enjoy the site, or go find a cruiser site where they will applaud you for your choice of "kit"!
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:39 AM   #1122
Navy Chief
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC Brian View Post
I, for 1,am with Wraith Rider and Vertical C

Anything except 100% is not ATGATT

There are risks everywhere. Why single out motorcyles?

I don't think anyone is saying don't wear Gear, just that its not
totally necessary to wear it ALL, ALL the TIME

How about we chage the acrynom to make you happier, there is an entire thread here http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=915389 with suggestions....

How about:
ATGAFTRATT

All The Gear Appropriate For The Ride All The Time.

Does not quite roll off the tongue the same way though....

But to me that is the spirit behind ATGATT ..

If your world is only in black and white then YMMV....
Old 08-29-2013, 06:40 AM   #1123
Navy Chief
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

Jim

PS Get your delicates out of the wad they are in and enjoy the site, or go find a cruiser site where they will applaud you for your choice of "kit"!
I thought that it was pretty common knowledge that the entire Killboy thread was tongue in cheek and intended to be fun.... Guess not....
Old 08-29-2013, 06:47 AM   #1124
BC Brian
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
Quote:
How about we chage the acrynom to make you happier, there is an entire thread here http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=915389 with suggestions....

How about:
ATGAFTRATT

All The Gear Appropriate For The Ride All The Time.

Does not quite roll off the tongue the same way though....

But to me that is the spirit behind ATGATT ..

If your world is only in black and white then YMMV....

Maybe go back and read the original post.......page one, post 1
BC Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:59 AM   #1125
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk-betty View Post

Quote:

Jim

Apparently I don't GET the Killboy thread either. I thought it was supposed to be a picture thread , but the lame riding dorks there have turned it into a ride critiqueing thread. Few of them have any idea what they're talking about.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote