Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2013, 03:42 PM   #151
dwrads
Right Wristed

Oddometer: 488
[At this point I don't have anything, but I will need to get some sort of USB charging point set up on my bike. I'll probably just get a low voltage TAPP, but would prefer to have the TAPP 2, just want some way to deal with the power drain issue on my small single cylinder moto's battery. So I was just curious what you thought about a switch.

Thanks for your response.

DW[/QUOTE]

Hi Shove I need and am ready to get a TAPP 2. Even if I have to figure out a switch myself. Do you have any switches that might be appropriate for this?

DW
Old 08-27-2013, 07:55 PM   #152
JackpotDuc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Interested...

I'm interested in a few of these units
Any discount for adv inmates?
Should I just order from twisted throttle?

Thanks
Old 08-27-2013, 10:43 PM   #153
Shov3BR OP
Tinkerer

Oddometer: 282
Inmate Discounts

We do offer discount in the form of free shipping. That works out to 10% on TAPP, about 14% on TAPP Lite (when they become available again!) and a bunch on cables, especially the short ones.

The problem is handling the discount with Google Wallet which is rather obtuse with coupons and stuff. Fortunately Google Wallet is going away and I mean completely away; Google is shutting it down. We are going to use PayPal which handles coupons. The conversion could be completed as soon as next week.
Meanwhile send me a PM with what you want and we'll work out the price and issue a PayPal Invoice (PI)or take a phone order. the PI is a convenient way to pay as you don't need a PayPal account to pay. Any credit card will do. Of course you can use PayPal if you prefer.

Thanks for your interest in our stuff.
Cheers,
-Shov

'11 KTM 990 ADV Dakar, '08 KTM 690 Enduro, '09 H-D Road King, '82 H-D FXRS (Shovelhead)
Shov3BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:55 PM   #154
Shov3BR OP
Tinkerer

Switched TAPP USB Power

DW[/QUOTE]

Hi Shove I need and am ready to get a TAPP 2. Even if I have to figure out a switch myself. Do you have any switches that might be appropriate for this?

DW[/QUOTE]

DW - First off sorry for the VERY late reply. I was on a ride to the Arctic Circle and Inuvik last month and some stuff just fell through the crack while I was gone. If it wasn't for the previous post from JackpotDuc I would have still missed your post

I have a couple of toggle switches available that have waterproof boots for the toggle. They are a oversized for TAPP at 15A but would work.

I'll have to look up what we paid for them but I'm sure they weren't very expensive. As a way of making amends for the tardy response I will throw one in at no charge with a TAPP order. Send me a PM and we'll work out what you need if you haven't already done something.

Again, apologies for the late response.
-Shov

'11 KTM 990 ADV Dakar, '08 KTM 690 Enduro, '09 H-D Road King, '82 H-D FXRS (Shovelhead)
Old 08-28-2013, 11:08 AM   #155
IRideASlowBike
Banned

Oddometer: 1,786
Do you make a weatherproof coax plug I could plug my Gerbings heated gear into?
IRideASlowBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:48 PM   #156
Shov3BR OP
Tinkerer

Heated Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRideASlowBike View Post
Do you make a weatherproof coax plug I could plug my Gerbings heated gear into?
Our Baryl 12VDC all-weather power ports are the same configuration barrel jacks as Gerbing and other popular heated clothing i.e. 5.5mm x 2.5mm. However, as our Baryl power ports are limited to 7.5A max we specifically warn users not to use them for heated clothing.

I have always been curious how Gerbing can carry the 15A that they used to claim through a 5.5mm x 2.5mm coax barrel connector set. We had a heck of time finding a jack & plug set that would go to 7.5A. Most are rated to 5.0A max.

I see that Gerbing has a recall on some heated jackets that are overheating the connectors causing burns. not sure what is behind this issue but I can guess.
-Shov

Old 08-29-2013, 12:54 AM   #157
oz97tj
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 819
This may have already been asked so forgive me.

I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 and a 2013 BMW GSW. I currently have a powerlet to CIG lighter adapter run off my factory port on the dash and a generic cog lighter charger to my phone. Problem is my phone literally takes an entire day to charge without using GPS on it.

Is the problem the charger I use, or the port on the dash? I don't know if simply buying one of your cables would do the trick or if I need to buy the Tapp set up or both? Further, Powerlet has a powerlet plug to micro USB cable supposedly that will do the trick, bit I can't figure out if its limited in output too which would not solve my problem.

So, what do I need?
Old 08-29-2013, 04:24 AM   #158
Ciph3r
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post

I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 and a 2013 BMW GSW. I currently have a powerlet to CIG lighter adapter run off my factory port on the dash and a generic cog lighter charger to my phone. Problem is my phone literally takes an entire day to charge without using GPS on it.

Is the problem the charger I use, or the port on the dash? I don't know if simply buying one of your cables would do the trick or if I need to buy the Tapp set up or both? Further, Powerlet has a powerlet plug to micro USB cable supposedly that will do the trick, bit I can't figure out if its limited in output too which would not solve my problem.

So, what do I need?
It's probably the usb cig adapter you use. Had the same problem and changed to another usb adapter and now the phone (Samsung Galaxy S2) is charging fast. I have this adapter http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B008CPO8KS/ it's one specially made for Android devices, but I think they are only available in Germany, but maybe you can order through amazon.de?
Ciph3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:43 AM   #159
Shov3BR OP
Tinkerer

Slow Charging Smartphone

Quote:

So, what do I need?
There's not anything wrong with your charger setup, it's Apple's fault!

Here's a link to a post I just put up regarding the smartphone slow charge rate issue and what we have done to work around it:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=914577

Hope this help clarify the issue.
Cheers,
-Shov

Old 08-29-2013, 01:50 PM   #160
oz97tj
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shov3BR View Post
There's not anything wrong with your charger setup, it's Apple's fault!

Here's a link to a post I just put up regarding the smartphone slow charge rate issue and what we have done to work around it:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=914577

Hope this help clarify the issue.
Cheers,
-Shov
Thanks. I already read that article which caused me more confusion actually. I've used two cig light chargers and both did the same thing. The one I tried recently is my wife's Motorola car charger. I know for a fact on her Droid it charges fast. I haven't tried it on my phone in a car but I assumed it would be the same, hence my curiosity if its my factory plug on my bike. I suppose a simple test would be to plug my phone with that charger into my car and see what happens.

Assuming its just the cable, and I purchased one of your redband cables, I'd still need to convert the factory powerlet style port to USB. Would I need one of your pigtails for that or would a generic version work? It seems like $65or so for your pigtail and your redband cable is over the top to charge my phone. Not to mention more parts to lose. Do you offer a powerlet style plug to micro usb that I can use to charge my phone without the extra connection?
Old 08-29-2013, 05:26 PM   #161
Shov3BR OP
Tinkerer

Quote:
Assuming its just the cable, and I purchased one of your redband cables, I'd still need to convert the factory powerlet style port to USB. Would I need one of your pigtails for that or would a generic version work? It seems like $65or so for your pigtail and your redband cable is over the top to charge my phone. Not to mention more parts to lose. Do you offer a powerlet style plug to micro usb that I can use to charge my phone without the extra connection?
I always have to chuckle at riders who spend umpty-hoot thousand dollars on their Beemer, umpty-hoot hundred dollars on their phone, think nothing of the outrageous prices that BMW dealers charge for the simplest of farkles but won't spend $50 for a USB charger and $15 for a special application cable.
But then again priorities are priorities.

If you are going to use a cigarette lighter type USB adapter be sure to buy a good one. There are a bunch of really crappy ones out there.
My personal favorites are Griffin and Belkin. Things change quickly in this market but hopefully these two manufacturer's are maintaining their quality.

If you want to go big bucks with an all-weather powersports USB power port, we have a new version specifically for BMW's that have the "GPS" socket installed.
If you thought $49.95 was too much to pay for our all-weather USB power port with a DIN 4165 plug, this new BMW version is priced at $79.95! And why is that you ask? It's because the mating connector is a BMW proprietary part and can only be purchased from a BMW dealer. The price - $35 This is for a plug with three wires installed. This one part nearly doubles the cost of our USB power port.

-Shov

Old 08-29-2013, 06:30 PM   #162
oz97tj
Studly Adventurer

Well that's a bit rude, isn't it? Having money to spend on an expensive bike doesn't somehow mean I want to give my money away. What I find funny is how a vendor will alienate a large group of riders because one asked a question. By your theory, us BMW owners have money to burn anyway so you should be trying sell to us instead of offend us.

I was asking why I need to buy TWO separate parts? You have everything available in separate parts to make it just one. You are right in the fact I don't want to spend $65 on a handful of parts cobbled together to make work. Further, I just looked that part up for the GPS plug and it's $20 at Max BMW. Best yet, if you ask them a question about it hey wont give smart ass answers. Fact is, I'd gladly spend the needed amount of money of a part that does it's job and does it well but $65 for a hodgepodge of separate parts doesn't make sense. I personally also don't want it more or less permanently on my bike as I don't always have my phone plugged in that way.

Now, let's move forward please. Is there an option to have ONE part that plugs into the powerlet style plug and has the micro USB?
Old 08-29-2013, 06:55 PM   #163
Shov3BR OP
Tinkerer

Sorry you took offense. It was a feeble attempt at humor.

In answer to your question, no, USB is 5VDC. vehicle voltage is 12VDC. Never the twain shall meet. You need a voltage regulator somewhere. We feel that our TAPP family of all-weather USB power ports is a low cost robust solution that offers lots of flexibility to the user.
You have probably noticed that a majority of USB device manufacturers such as Apple and Samsung supply their chargers as a two piece setup; the wall wart and the cable. This provides much more flexibility for the user as different length cables can be used without having to purchase the whole charger.
In our case it's even more advantageous as you can buy cables in multiple lengths and plug configurations. I don't believe that any of our customers think consider it a hodgepodge. However, I'm sure they would balk at having to purchase a different USB power port for each device they wanted to charge.

Here are some installation options:

1) TAPP-BMW all-weather USB power port with BMW "GPS" plug.
Advantages: Compact, easy to install (especially the bike this specific version for BMW), all-weather even when a cable is plugged in when used with a TAPP CAPPed cable, available in both universal mount and panel mount versions.
Disadvantages: Almost twice the cost of other TAPP products due to the high cost of the BMW connector.
Part count: 1 piece

2) TAPP-DIN 4165 all-weather USB power port with DIN 4165 plug.
Advantages: Ultra easy installation - just mount the TAPP and plug into the DIN 4165 socket (sometimes called the BMW or Powerlet socket), can be easily removed and swapped between bikes with the DIN 4165 socket, all-weather even when a cable is plugged in when used with a TAPP CAPPed cable, lower cost than TAPP-BMW.
Disadvantages: Not as clean of an installation as TAPP -BMW and has to be disconnected to use the DIN 4165 port for other applications.
Part count: 1 piece

3) Cigarette Lighter USB adapter.
Advantage: Low cost, easy installation if there is no need to attach the adapter to the bike.
Disadvantage: no way to make weatherproof. Mounting can become a kludge if you want a secure mount rather than having the cigarette lighter flop around loose; cigarette socket is notoriously unreliable when used while riding - they just shake apart. Note that cigarette lighter sockets are very handy for stuff like tire pumps and big hand held lights that can be used for night time repairs or setting up camp. These are stationary applications, i.e., you disconnect the device before moving.
Part count: from 2 to 4 depending on the connection type.

Note that all of these options do not include the USB cable.

Hope that helps.
-Shov

Shov3BR screwed with this post 08-29-2013 at 08:58 PM
Old 08-29-2013, 09:15 PM   #164
Shov3BR OP
Tinkerer

Powerlet Solution

It appears that Powerlet has the solution for you. It is a single purpose cable, DIN 4165 (Powerlet) plug on one end, "pregnant snake" in-line regulator and a USB Type B Micro straight plug on the device end.
http://www.powerlet.com/product/mini...rlet-cable/259

Old 08-29-2013, 10:11 PM   #165
oz97tj
Studly Adventurer

Thanks for the help. I've seen the Powerlet solution but I've never found specs if it is indeed the 2a or 1a.

Let me ask this. I suppose I've only ever used normal USB connections and I've never been impressed with how secure they are, hence my concern about having another connection mid way along the circuit. With the Tapp Capp, how secure is the USB cable? Is there a chance of it wiggling loose or is it pretty well locked in place?