Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2013, 09:35 PM   #31
dman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 565
I realize tastes are subjective, but I'm surprised to see multiple mentions of the Nighthawk 750. A fine bike, I'm sure, but aesthetically and functionally they seem like pure transportation devices, with none of the retro/superbike appeal of the other bikes mentioned. In fact, to me the new 1100 just barely escapes the same feeling, but at least it's a premium bike in features and finish (plus 350 more cc) which makes a big difference. ZRX, CB919 and 1000, Zephyr and eben the Nighthawk 700 (especially S) are much more appealing to me. I am a former owner of a CB900F bought new in '81 and ridden for 5 years/50K miles .... silver of course, like the factory Superbikes.

-Dimitry
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:44 PM   #32
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by epb View Post
Yep, but it runs counter to your point about the Kawasaki - there may be relatively few of them but those that pop up for sale tend to be low-miles and well-kept. And while they were only here a couple of years, they were sold by Honda for much longer, so parts availability is still good.
I have nothing against the CB1000, but the data says they are a relatively rare bike, much rarer than a ZRX. ZRX's had a seven-year production run in the US (and many more years overseas) and were very popular the first few. CB1000's had a two-year run with poor sales in the first and only a handful sold in the 2nd. Also, any newer bike is going to have a bigger selection on the market simply because of attrition. I'd estimate that ZRX's outnumber CB1000's on the market by 10:1 or greater and this is borne out by a quick check of Cycle Trader which shows one CB1000 for sale and 22 ZRX's.

I will give you that Honda is usually better stocking parts than Kawasaki, but I'd still give the nod on parts availability to the ZRX, just because so many more bikes are running around. Also the ZRX is still in production today for some markets (not the US) which helps with parts availability. The ZRX engine is based on the old ZX-11 mill which helps with parts too. (If the CB1000 is still being made for overseas markets, I'm not aware of it. The CB1000 does share some commonality with the CBR1000F which helps with parts.)

Again, nothing against the CB1000 and if you can find a clean one, it would be a good alternative. But when someone says they looking for an used alternative to a new CB1100, this means, at least to me, that they want something relatively available and plentiful, not rare collector bikes or antiques. The ZRX is cheap, plentiful, similar in performance (actually quite a bit faster, especially the 1200cc versions), and has the same retro vibe. The only areas where I see it seriously at a disadvantage is if someone really wants an air-cooled bike, or feels they need ABS and/or fuel injection.

- Mark

markjenn screwed with this post 08-27-2013 at 10:50 PM
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:02 AM   #33
epb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
Again, nothing against the CB1000 and if you can find a clean one, it would be a good alternative. But when someone says they looking for an used alternative to a new CB1100, this means, at least to me, that they want something relatively available and plentiful, not rare collector bikes or antiques.
I went with the CB1000 as my rec because it's more recent than he was asking about for about the same money, and built by the same company with pretty similar goals in mind as the bike he really wants. I'll concede it's not the best option for someone looking for any large-displacement UJM, but it seems like the perfect solution for someone looking for a CB1100 with only $3k or so to spend. I'm not disputing your analysis of its shortcomings, but in the context of the OPs goals they might not have as much weight. That emotional component is why some guys buy a used M3 for money that would get them a new Camaro (and how I ended up with an NT650 rather than the SV650 everyone assured me was better ;)).
Old 08-28-2013, 02:06 AM   #34
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman View Post
I realize tastes are subjective, but I'm surprised to see multiple mentions of the Nighthawk 750. A fine bike, I'm sure, but aesthetically and functionally they seem like pure transportation devices

-Dimitry
I mentioned it because you get the same air cooled rough hewn but modernized feel as the CB1100. You don't get FI, but it's still very close in stance and whatnot.
And the aftermarket support is pretty strong.
They're dirt cheap too, so if he wanted to he could customize one with an old style tank, strip off the plastics and install a seat and tailpiece that look reminiscent of the new bike, and have something really interesting for less than 5 grand.

No, it's not a rocket. But you don't go looking for a standard bike with no fairing because you want to do 150mph down the back stretch.

What the NH 750 does have is the feel of a Honda 4 along with the smell, sounds, and visual appeal of the air cooled mill.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:26 AM   #35
Skidmarkart
Repeat Recidivist

Oddometer: 171
I had a GSXG-1100 with stage one jets, and a Jardine pipe back in the mid 2000's. I picked it up for $1100 with 3k miles. It was a hoot to ride, and absolutely bullet proof. I put a coat of flat carbon-colored paint on it, a flatter drag bar, and a little bullet fairing and it was a pretty decent looking retro bike. The big GSXR derived 1100 was awesomely powerful and it was a really comfortable bike for long rides, short rides, sporting rides, whatever...

Come to think of it, why the hell did I sell it?
Skidmarkart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:10 AM   #36
roma258
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman View Post
I realize tastes are subjective, but I'm surprised to see multiple mentions of the Nighthawk 750. A fine bike, I'm sure, but aesthetically and functionally they seem like pure transportation devices, with none of the retro/superbike appeal of the other bikes mentioned. In fact, to me the new 1100 just barely escapes the same feeling, but at least it's a premium bike in features and finish (plus 350 more cc) which makes a big difference. ZRX, CB919 and 1000, Zephyr and eben the Nighthawk 700 (especially S) are much more appealing to me. I am a former owner of a CB900F bought new in '81 and ridden for 5 years/50K miles .... silver of course, like the factory Superbikes.

-Dimitry
How'd you get on with the CB900F? There's a real peach in the for sale section on this site that I keep coming back to. Lovely looking bikes. My other suggestion would be the GS1000s from early '80s. Still very affordable, but seem to be coming into their own in terms of desireable older bikes.
roma258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:18 AM   #37
slower_than_you
Slacker

Oddometer: 32
Bing a fan of them , might I suggest a Kawi GPz ? They made several displacments ranging from a 305 to an 1100. Im a fan of the 750's ( seems most people either forgot or dont wana admit it ,but , Wayne Rainey won lots of races and a championship on a GPz 750 in either 83 or 84 if my memory serves me ).Very cool loking bike ,makes decent power and one can be had on the cheap.
slower_than_you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:14 PM   #38
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by roma258 View Post
How'd you get on with the CB900F? There's a real peach in the for sale section on this site that I keep coming back to. Lovely looking bikes. My other suggestion would be the GS1000s from early '80s. Still very affordable, but seem to be coming into their own in terms of desireable older bikes.
You'll find that even though market value is X dollars, a lot of owners won't turn loose of the CB900F for that amount of money. And that's kind of what it's coming down to with them. You're going to have to talk someone out of one with a sales pitch that uses ascending numbers if you don't get one now.

I loved mine, but it was not a good handling bike, not an efficient bike, and not a super comfortable bike. You have to love them for what they are and forgive them for not being better.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:39 PM   #39
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 9,968
CB1100F?

Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:34 PM   #40
Ogre_fl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidmarkart View Post
I had a GSXG-1100 with stage one jets, and a Jardine pipe back in the mid 2000's. I picked it up for $1100 with 3k miles. It was a hoot to ride, and absolutely bullet proof. I put a coat of flat carbon-colored paint on it, a flatter drag bar, and a little bullet fairing and it was a pretty decent looking retro bike. The big GSXR derived 1100 was awesomely powerful and it was a really comfortable bike for long rides, short rides, sporting rides, whatever...

Come to think of it, why the hell did I sell it?
I didn't mod mine beyond the bars and faring, but I ask myself that same question at times.
But I know the answer was garage space.

Dont forget, it was also a shafty and smoooooooth.

Ogre_fl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 04:36 PM   #41
stripple
Runnin' Hard

Oddometer: 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta View Post
CB1100F?

I'll second that! I have always thought these bikes have a lot of charm. When looking at the specs, it seems that the ZRX would put a serious thrashing on the 1100F, but the Honda has much more curb appeal IMO.

Has anyone spent significant time on both? Care to share impressions?
Old 08-28-2013, 05:34 PM   #42
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre_fl View Post
I didn't mod mine beyond the bars and faring, but I ask myself that same question at times.
But I know the answer was garage space.

Dont forget, it was also a shafty and smoooooooth.

I wonder if I could find an old beater and chop off the final drive and weld it onto my GSA??

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:32 PM   #43
Gham
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta View Post
CB1100F?

If you read Kraven's comments on the CB900F you can just about double the money for the 1100.
Trying to find one with reasonable miles that hasn't been modded would be difficult at best.Not saying it couldn't be done but you could score a newer (and better) ZRX for about the same cash.

Society Historicus Revisioniscus
Gham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 03:26 AM   #44
espacef1fan OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 673
Sounds like the zrx gets the nod for the most easily attainable best all around bike. The gpz 750 sounds intriguing for the heritage

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
espacef1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:38 AM   #45
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 9,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by stripple View Post
Has anyone spent significant time on both? Care to share impressions?
I owned a pristine CB1100F for about 5 years and it was my sole mode of transport for about a year of that time. During which it never gave me any problems and the ONLY time it didn't start in the morning, is the night I left the parking light on.

it is a pretty fantastic bike. Very smooth, great engine - very linear power and great sound even stock. yes they are fairly hard to find in stock trim but they are out there and the people that have them usually take care of them.
To this day, it is the nicest stock 1100 I have ever seen

took a couple short trips on it - this pic from heading up to Moto GP at Laguna Seca

they have problems, just like any other bike.... and this is a ONE year bike. Not any bike problems, but little things.

CB1100F.net is a pretty amazing resource and I still know a bunch of those guys over there.

I do miss her. I sold her to the head of development of Honda North America. I even delivered it to the corporate offices in Irvine to a the guy - he had just moved over here from Japan and he had never seen one in real life. He didn't even ask me about it - he just handed me an envelope full of cash and wouldn't stop glaring at it.

I love superstandards and for as much as I like the new 1100, it lacks a kind of muscularness that this bike doesn't
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote