User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2013, 05:44 AM   #1
ywouldi OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Wiring help, one spare wire!

When I took apart my 1983 R80 TIC I very carefully labelled every wire I disconnected and so far that tactic seems to have worked well. The only think is that there was one wire unlabelled and I cannot identify it in the wiring diagram in my Haynes manual.

It's Brown/Black and comes from the main loom under the crossbar of the frame and terminates in a rubber covered spade connector. I appears to have something to do with the coils but as far as I can see they are wired up correctly.

Pictures!

ywouldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:01 AM   #2
Stan_R80/7
Beastly Gnarly

Oddometer: 1,130
Sure that is not the brown/black wire associated with the neutral switch? If you can't find a brown/black wire on your wiring diagram, then that is not the correct wiring diagram. Good luck!

p.s. my WAG about the neutral switch came from this diagram: http://www.stephenbottcher.net/BMW/w...lor_wiring.pdf
Stan_R80/7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:44 AM   #3
ywouldi OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan_R80/7 View Post
Sure that is not the brown/black wire associated with the neutral switch? If you can't find a brown/black wire on your wiring diagram, then that is not the correct wiring diagram. Good luck!

p.s. my WAG about the neutral switch came from this diagram: http://www.stephenbottcher.net/BMW/w...lor_wiring.pdf
No, I don't think it's that. I've got the neutral switch wired up as previously connected and labelled.

That diagram is very helpful indeed! I'll check some more options out!
Old 08-27-2013, 06:54 AM   #4
Kai Ju
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,717
Horn ?

Or to put it another way, does everything work ?
Kai Ju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:15 AM   #5
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,677
There are several "universal" things about the european wiring color schemes.... brown means ground, black tracer means it is a switched circuit.... so it probably is something like a horn, neutral switch or something that is switched-to-ground (i.e. the switch completes the circuit by providing a ground, not by providing power).... Same way the rear brake light works, with two switches: power is provided to the bulb, but the ground is provided by engaging either switch (foot or right perch)....

Keep lookin' .... and as mentioned above, if everything works, its not a problem!!

Old 08-27-2013, 08:16 AM   #6
rambozo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 420
I think it's horn as well, my 82 has twin horns and the left one is brown/black,
book says brown/white for horn though

I'm pretty sure my tic beater has a spare wire I didn't use, the one in your
photo looks like it hasn't been connected in quite a while, if ever, maybe that's
why you missed labelling it
rambozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:36 AM   #7
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,389
Horn.

And my bike is 8 years older than that wire.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:58 AM   #8
ywouldi OP
Adventurer

Right, the consensus is horn. Thinking about it, the horn cable which I've connected doesn't yet have a ground and I don't recall testing the horn before I got it disassembled so maybe it's a switched ground?

Anyway, it's the only wire not connected so the only thing for it is to get the battery hooked up and starting pressing buttons!

In other news, got the brakes bleed, new tyres fitted, battery fitted to Boxer Metal's underframe holder, rear brakes connected and rear balance pipe removed and welded up.

This has been a real learning curve, not least when brake fluid started pissing out of every connection! Turns our that the spinner connections on the braided lines aren't in fact spinner connections but nuts to be done up once the routing is sorted!!
Old 08-27-2013, 11:24 PM   #9
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by ywouldi View Post
When I took apart my 1983 R80 TIC I very carefully labelled every wire I disconnected and so far that tactic seems to have worked well. The only think is that there was one wire unlabelled and I cannot identify it in the wiring diagram in my Haynes manual.

It's Brown/Black and comes from the main loom under the crossbar of the frame and terminates in a rubber covered spade connector. I appears to have something to do with the coils but as far as I can see they are wired up correctly.

Pictures!

Horn. Should be 2 of them, one for each side. The horn is not ground control that late. Fitting grounds is a good idea.
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 04:28 AM   #10
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,946
The horns ground is the frame
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 03:30 AM   #11
orangebear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,210
Don't worry about spare wires my r100gs has 3 connectors under the tank that are not used and all the lights ect work fine . At some point I am going to cut them off.
Klr650c the 1 I should not of wasted my money on
Honda xl125rc powered by a cg125 block fun wee bike
orangebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:20 AM   #12
Biebs
BMW Airhead

Oddometer: 446
Accessorizes - extra wires

I believe BMW started putting some connectors for accessorizes on their bikes - I have an extra connector on my 89 GS looks like that.

More important does everything work?? What about the Horn???
Biebs is offline   Reply With Quote