Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2012, 03:28 AM   #16
skibum69 OP
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 5,003
day 7

day 7

Up early I messed around a little, got the bike all packed up and said my goodbye's to Lizzy and Billy. Now that her son Angus has flown the coop to go live with his dad in Toronto she gets a little lonely rattling around her house when Billy's at work or at his house. Strange to me too visiting without seeing Angus kicking around. We both really enjoyed the chance to catch up on our lives a little, it's been awhile.

I rolled out of the yard and onto route 20 headed east a few exits to the airport. I was on time and so was Suzie's flight. As I'm standing in the pickup lane a guy comes up to me and starts chatting, turns out he's a moto guy riding mostly trials now but plenty of common ground to chat about. Suzie calls to tell me she's there and when she walks up she's on the phone with Air Miles cursing because they wouldn't honour one of her tickets. I handed her her riding pants and she went off to change. The pickup lanes at most airports now are no parking so it didn't take long for security to come up to me, they were nice enough when I said I was waiting on my passenger. When she got back we packed her stuff, checked the load and we both got on. About 10 seconds after sitting on the bike Sue said "tell Keith to order that bike." I just let out the clutch and drove.

getting ready to ride

let the adventure begin, or in my case maybe that would be "continue"

We took the Mercier Bridge and I don't blame dresda at all for avoiding the Montreal bridges, it took awhile in single lane traffic. At the far end the 4 lanes split and me not having a map, (actually I hadn't had a map since Fredericton), I took the 138 south instead of heading east to the 15, oops. It didn't take long for me to realize we were headed to upstate New York instead of Vermont so we pulled over in Sainte Martine and asked a couple of guys how to get to the border? No problem turn left go up to the next right to Sainte Remi and then towards Sainte Edouard where you'll see the signs for the 15. Awesome.

Suzie had her camera out and was taking a few pictures on the fly, some different scenery than home.

As we were pulling back out we saw a funky car go by, looking a little different than the one I saw go by my Soiree preparations back in '09. We were going the same way so we chased it down.

getting closer

there it is

maybe we'll be on there?

This looks a lot more solid than the one I saw go by my place.

We made it onto the 15 and booted it for the border, no issues there and we continued on our way towards VT. My plan was to stop at the first gas station and pick up a map but it turned out we didn't need to. The first town we went through was Rousse's Point and what should I see parked on the side of the road? Emmbeedee standing next to his bike. Ha, I pulled up beside him and he had big smile on his face when he turned to look. He said he and dresda were talking about keeping their eyes open for us on the road as they knew our schedule.

We joined them for lunch and had a tasty sandwich as we watched the rain start in earnest. I went out to get the raingear, nothing like a rubber suit to keep you dry.

comfy

The four of us hit the road down through Lake Champlain on route 2. This was a pretty drive and we were planning to stay on the secondary roads going south. Once we got into the outskirts of Burlington we changed our minds and jumped on the Interstate. 89 took us the quick way to Bethel where we jumped off and went looking for the north road to bypass route 12 that was closed between Bethel and Barnard due to Hurricane Irene. There was flood damage evident everywhere we went all weekend.

Bethel

Riding with the GPS junkies dresda and Emmbeedee has some definite advantages, they pretty much know where they're going and having intercoms they can discuss what's going on and not waste time stopping etc. I did buy a map when we stopped for gas but it got soaked and was useless to us for almost all the time we were in the state.

gas stop

Once we hit the campground we ended up doing a quick stop by the lean-to's to double check they were all gone and then we rode around to look at all the sites that were left. Both Sue and I spotted one that looked good immediately and pulled in to start getting camp set up in the rain.

we're here

The one thing I really regret is not getting a pic of the 2 of us in our rubber suits in the rain when we showed up. Oh well, the memories will have to do.

a light day

Once we were set up and out of our riding gear we strolled up to where Mzcountryboy was hanging and settled in for some serious bullshitting and overindulgence.

let the games begin

I was really enjoying seeing folks I'd met in '08 when I first went to CroMag, didn't feel at all like 3 years had gone by.

EvilClown is in the house

people are entertained

Freethebeast was subject to peer pressure and took his turn with the 40 ouncer of Screech hand delivered by yours truly

Gregster made it in and as promised delivered a box of Cohiba cigarillos to me as I hadn't made it to a tabagie in Montreal. One of my rally extravagances. Luckily Sue stayed around long enough to drag me out of it and back to the tent before I got into any trouble or ended up sleeping in a ditch, the sticky zipper on the tent fly just about did me in but all was well in the end and we were out for the count.

The first week was in the rearview with only a few mishaps and the weekend promised plenty of entertainment and lies with like minded inmates. Bring it on.
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 05:28 PM   #17
skibum69 OP
slave to gravity

day 8

day 8

We had a relaxing morning getting up and heading to the General Store for breakfast. The French toast was tasty as well as the hash and eggs. MZ and a couple of others were there too and we started talking route info to get to Conway, New Hampshire. I'd been wanting to check out Whitehorse Gear for some time and Sue was shopping for some new gear.

General Store

the neighbourhood ducks

the view across from the store, towrds the campground

We got going at some sensible hour like 11 and headed south on 12 to Woodstock and onto 4 through Qeuchee, nice touristy gorge to go over. Lost of evidence of the flooding all over the place, we saw bridges etc with debris 15 feet up, devastation, brings back memories of Igor.

Quechee Gorge

roadwork

where are we?

From there we headed generally north on 10 to go pick up route 188 which promised to be a lot of twisty fun. Who knew Dartmouth college was in Hanover? Pretty upscale looking town

Hanover

Hanover

new copper roof

We passed through plenty of rolling countryside and small farms, nice to see so much activity and what mostly appeared to be still working farms surrounded by old infrastructure

Once we started climbing the fall colours started to show too, pretty countryside

One town even boasted a rocket

After the sweet ride on 118 we stopped for gas in Lincoln.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:34 AM   #18
Gregster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 959
Hey where's the rest of this report?
Gregster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 02:33 PM   #19
skibum69 OP
slave to gravity

No idea? I guess I got lost on the way home?