Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2013, 08:03 AM   #46
goosecreek
a desk prop

Oddometer: 2,248
Yea I could see being whacked by brush all day while dodging those things.
goosecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:32 AM   #47
littlelionmonster OP
Rerutnevda ylranG

Oddometer: 782
Day 13 - Tablelands and Green Gardens hike

Stayed at Lemond cg. and just did some day hikes in the park. Weather was a chilly start that warmed up to a sunny day. Stopped at the visitor center to get the pass then couple clicks over to the tablelands for a short hike/walk.

Red side of the valley is the "Tablelands" which is part of the earth's mantle that got shoved to the crust a long fricin time ago. Its a stark contrast in the valley. Red and barren on one side, green on the other.

Walked to the base of a stream coming down from the top. This is one of my favorite shots of the trip. I had to play with the camera to get the colors to show up.

Saw this rig in the parking lot. They're from Austria and driving around the US and Canada for a couple months. Nice set up!!

And apparently............, I haven't uploaded all the pics from this day. Ooops.

Guess I'll finish this day a little later.....
Old 08-23-2013, 11:15 AM   #48
littlelionmonster OP
Rerutnevda ylranG

Day 13 - Tablelands and Green Gardens hike continued.....

Pics from the hike on the Green Gardens trail

See if you can find the boat

Glad I wasn't out with these guys, and the sea was pretty calm....

Probably not ADA approved......

There are 3-4 little campsites that you can hike back into. Right on the edge of the cliff, with the waves crashing. Not a bad place to take a break.

I was a little early to go see the sea caves and other features that are accessible at low tide, so the ninja and I just hung out for awhile.

The hike back out.

By now, it was about time for supper. I headed back to the visitors center and asked about a good place to eat. The gift shop lade recommended "The Old Loft Resturaunt in Woody Point. Said they had excellent Moose Pie and some kind of fried bread called Touton. Sounded good, so down the road I went.

The Meal

Dip the bread in a little molasses. It hit the spot!!

then it was back to the campground for the evening. As I'm degearing, I start to hear this load whooshing sound, kind of like a small jet or something. I look up and there's an eagle chasing another bird !!! Talk about awesome, like a scene from Top Gun being reenacted by two rather large birds. They banked and twisted for just long enough for me to try and get a pic, but the took off.

Great ending to another great day!!
Old 08-23-2013, 12:39 PM   #49
Spiff Spiffster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Top notch ride report. Some great pictures also. Great stuff. You have shown our province well.

Murph has taken on quite the ADV ambassador role. His generosity is exceeded only by his knowledge of the "off the beaten path" roads and trails. He is quite the asset to the Adventure rider motorcycle community in Newfoundland. Mind you, there are many here that would afford you the same courtesies, Murph goes above and beyond to welcome those "from away".
Spiff Spiffster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 01:39 PM   #50
KnightRider374
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Nice report

It's great to see there isn't a shortage of good rides in North America! Thanks for the report, and another bucket list destination...now where will I find the time?
KnightRider374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:57 AM   #51
littlelionmonster OP
Rerutnevda ylranG

Day 14 lemond to port a basque ferry

Another pretty day. Got the tent dried out and everything packed up then decide to do the short bike in the cg. No hurry ferry didn't leave til 12am and was only 3 hours there. Hiked over to an abounded town site.

Pretty high tech security gate. I tried and tried to get passed this, but finally gave up

Saw a rotted carribou on the trail. Right in the middle of the trail, completely undisturbed. Luckily, it was mostly done, so it didn't stink too much.

Thats right, I'm rocking the lime green and capris.

Rolled out about noon and stopped in Deer Lake to check email. Weather note from ferry. Headed out and weather got worse the further south. Started spitting rain and the wind really picked up the last 30 km, The Wreckhouse lived up to its name. Would have been a beautiful ride, but I could only focus on the road. Thought I was going in the ditch with a couple gusts. Got to ferry about 5 and watched it rain and 6 other bikers come in. Wind had gotten worse later on so glad I was there.

Two guys from Georgia rolled on FJR's. They had just done the Translab and were complaining about their fork seals.

A group of bicyclist rolled in a little later. They road across NF and were headed down to NS. They were raising money for something, but I don't remember what.

Dinner - there are few things better then a good roast beef sandwich with extra gravy and fries.

Ferry couldn't leave until 7am due to the weather, so everyone loaded the boat around 10pm and tried to sleep.
Strapped in and ready for a rough ride

Moved to the reserved seating area but ended up on the floor for awhile.
Old 08-24-2013, 07:29 AM   #52
Clipper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Thumb Tlh

I love reading the ride reports on the Trans Lab as well as those who come to the island. While I see many of the same sights in the reports, I really enjoy the varied viewpoints of those who come here and the adventures and sometimes mis adventures!

Great ride report you have here and I love the photography!

And Murph....every one here knows Murph Great guy and our unofficial tourism ambassador
Clipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:03 PM   #53
kelsow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,118
It's amazing how someone can ride the exact same roads and get a different experience.
Tons of stuff you saw that I didn't on 2 trips across. Brilliant stuff.

Nothing better than Pineapple Crush, Toutons and of course Murph.

Site: dualsport.ca and rideatlantic.ca
kelsow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:20 AM   #54
littlelionmonster OP
Rerutnevda ylranG

Alright, I need to wrap this up.

Day 15 ferry to fundy park
Decent Ferry boat ride across the water. I thought it might rough, but it was pretty pleasant. Got a bit more sleep but mostly read a book. Landed about 1130 and off the boat around 1230. Then just beat it to Fundy National Park. The orginal plan was to ride the Cabot trail, camp at Meat Cove, but there was supposed to be more 50-70 kmh winds, so I decided to skip it this trip.

So I decided to just push on to the Bay of Fundy. Followed another ADV'er from PA riding an older BMW for awhile. Then it started to rain and get cold again. Got in to the park about 6, set up camp, made some shitty Ramon noodles and turkey.

Then walked down to the bay at low tide then passed out listening to the rain.

I had made another Tent space connection with West Isles Foo Foo for the following night on Deer Island, just south of Saint John, so I had an easy day's ride.

I just hung out and watched the tide come in.

Pretty cool stuff. Walked through town at 10 AM and the guys were just sitting around. Got some lunch and walked by through at 1130 and everyone was running around, loading / unloading the catch of the day. Boats coming and going.

On the way to Saint John, I passed this place.

then I stopped and watch the Reversing Rapids
Going in

Coming out

Statues at the park overlooking the rapids. It was an impressive BEAVER!

littlelionmonster screwed with this post 08-29-2013 at 09:59 AM
littlelionmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:35 AM   #55
littlelionmonster OP
Rerutnevda ylranG

Made it down to St George so I could catch the ferry to Deer Island. Low and behold, West Island Foo Foo was right behind me.

It was a beautiful ride to his place. Another great ending to the day.

After a great dinner of Fish and chips, (forgot to get a pic of the actually place)

West let me ride the little 110 around the property.

I was lucky enough to get an invite to breakfast from West's mother. We talked of all kinds of things, family, travel, etc. I was so stuffed by the time I left that I could barely walk.

Again, I can't thank West and his family enough for putting me up for the night. If you ever want to great place to stop, look him up.

Ferry ride out. Notice how the trailer is almost hanging off the boat.

It was time to head back to the states and meet my wife and kids in Bar Harbor. As soon as I crossed the border, it started raining. And rained hard all the way to BH.

Got checked in and waiting for the family to show up.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:57 AM   #56
littlelionmonster OP
Rerutnevda ylranG

From here, we finally took a proper "family" vacation. Once the rains passed, we enjoyed Bar Harbor for a week, then started heading back to VA by way of the White Mnts, Vermont and NY.

Since this isn't Facebook, I'll just post pics of the good stuff.

Take a one of the boat tours if you ever get to BH.

We camped for most of the week at Seawall CG. We had a blast checking out the tidal pools, eating lobster and riding the trails.

Best Fathers Day EVER!!!

Lobster run - not quite ATGATT

Blueberry pie with my sweetie

Then we loaded everything up and started to head back.

I was more then a little nervous loading the Tiger on the rack, but I didn't have any issues.
Awesome BBQ and beer at the Atlantic Brewing Co.

Who did this?

Good thing I had some JB weld. Had to fix the stove

Old man in the mountain - sort of

Then off to Lake Placid. It was Olympic day with actual athletes at some of the venues. It was pretty cool to meet them.
Maybe one day.......

On top of the ski jump

Peeing on top of the ski jump

They even let me try out of the luge team. The coach said if I was 20 years younger, I'd have a future in luging

Stopped at Dinosour BBQ in Syracuse NY to relive some grad school memories.

And them slabbed it down 81 and back to VA

HOme again!!
Old 09-04-2013, 08:42 PM   #57
Gruesome
Alter Heizer

Oddometer: 830
Very enjoyable ride report! Maybe add a map of where you've been? Google 'my maps' makes it pretty easy.
Gruesome is offline   Reply With Quote