User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2013, 04:28 PM   #1
ked OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 341
the rig, the ride and the rite-up

well, i picked up 1985 Honda v65 Sabre with a Motivation Formula II sidecar. previously, i had seen 4 rigs, stood next to 2 of them and touched 1! i took the train to Chicago, changed trains and went west to Red Wing, Mn where Bill picked me up and gave me a bed for the night. the next morning, i took the rig out for a 1/2 mile ride down Bill's street. made a few slow turns and came back to the house. soon after that, DaveBig came from Rochester, Mn and we talked, took a few pics, and DB and I headed down the Wisc side of the Mississippi River and off to Rochester so DB could drop his terrier, Justin, off at the house. Temps are around 98*F. we then headed south to the Iowa border where we found out that i had an air shock in the rear and we pumped it up. hopefully, it will help.

made it 300 miles the first day and got a room. i am used to back to back 600 mile days, but this seat makes my butt sore. going to definitely need to something about the seat.

as i write this, i am cooling off in a Chick-Fil-A resturant, north of St. Louis, MO. it didn't take long for the seat to resume its attack on my rear

i'll try to post pics later, if i can figure how to do it.

ked

ked screwed with this post 08-28-2013 at 10:08 PM
ked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 04:31 PM   #2
ked OP
Gnarly Adventurer

this is Bill and me. I am in the yellow shirt.
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-X...o/P1000190.JPG

this is DBs rig and mine. catching lunch before heading to Iowa.
[/url]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-w...o/P1000192.JPG

getting ready to go solo!
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-E...o/P1000193.JPG

going, going, gone..........
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-L...o/P1000195.JPG

ked screwed with this post 08-28-2013 at 04:40 PM
Old 08-28-2013, 05:21 PM   #3
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,418
You forgot to wrap image tags around the URL's. Here they are--

Looks like you fit just right together. A gel pad from Spencer might fix that seat for you.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:35 PM   #4
GreatWhiteNorth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,719
Nice!

Dig that Hondaline fairing - old school cool. That Motorvation looks good on there. Happy motoring.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:46 PM   #5
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer: 2,614
Ked
You do seem positive and of course your one of those positive charged guys.I thought it was interesting that the rig had so much power even geared as high as it is.Lots of potential, I don't think Bill ever got it properly sorted.
Realignment with desired air in rear shock, need a pretty flat spot I use my garage.I'd try power unit in middle of range, then leave it alone.
Adjust upper attachments till bike is straight up and down,use a square on wheel or a level on brake disks.
Ride it on a flat road see how it works leave power adjuster alone at this point,readjust as necessay lean left for right pull, right for left, when it's fairly nuetral on a flat road it's good.
Checking toe during the adjustment you might as well get used to that also only concerned with rearwheel and sidecar wheel, I like a laser level, using my garage door and a long chunk of carboard.
You'll have plenty to do but there's allot of power and a pretty nice chair there.DB
Old 08-28-2013, 09:33 PM   #6
ked OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebig View Post
Ked
You do seem positive and of course your one of those positive charged guys.I thought it was interesting that the rig had so much power even geared as high as it is.Lots of potential, I don't think Bill ever got it properly sorted.
Realignment with desired air in rear shock, need a pretty flat spot I use my garage.I'd try power unit in middle of range, then leave it alone.
Adjust upper attachments till bike is straight up and down,use a square on wheel or a level on brake disks.
Ride it on a flat road see how it works leave power adjuster alone at this point,readjust as necessay lean left for right pull, right for left, when it's fairly nuetral on a flat road it's good.
Checking toe during the adjustment you might as well get used to that also only concerned with rearwheel and sidecar wheel, I like a laser level, using my garage door and a long chunk of carboard.
You'll have plenty to do but there's allot of power and a pretty nice chair there.DB
funny, that's what i've been thinking about as i ride. i have read some about set up, so i am only partially ignorant. i even designed (in my head) a way to check toe in. when i get home, i'll read up on adjustments and see what i can some up with. thanks for the advice.

heck, i am already thinking about a dual sport rig. i really like DBs. even if i only drove it in 2 circles for 300 feet.

i am in Sikeston Missouri. could have pushed through for another 150 miles but decided to give my butt a rest. 2 motels in one trip could ruin my reputation. but at these temps, i am in no mood to sleep in a tent. getting soft as i get older, i guess.

God help me! ked

ked screwed with this post 08-28-2013 at 09:46 PM
Old 08-28-2013, 09:42 PM   #7
ked OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE View Post
You forgot to wrap image tags around the URL's.

didn't forget, i never knew how! my computer skills were maxed out just getting the URLs.

Looks like you fit just right together.

yea, i didn't want a Gold Wing type rig, and couldn't afford a gs/ural type, so i am pretty happy with it. hopefully, some improvements will yield good result. for all the V65's power, it is not a huge bike.

A gel pad from Spencer might fix that seat for you.

i'll look into Spencers seat. my seat is good for an hour or so. tomorrow morning i am going to tape a brick to the seat. gotta be an improvement!

thanks, ked

ked screwed with this post 08-28-2013 at 10:10 PM
Old 08-29-2013, 05:11 AM   #8
hahnda
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
You might find that the rear shock looses it air quicker than you think. At least the air shock on my Sabre lost it air in a pretty short amount of time, yours may also. I got into the habit of checking it before every ride because having it stiffer in the rear helped quite a bit with the handling.
Heidenau Tires
hahnda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 05:26 AM   #9
ked OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hahnda View Post
You might find that the rear shock looses it air quicker than you think. At least the air shock on my Sabre lost it air in a pretty short amount of time, yours may also. I got into the habit of checking it before every ride because having it stiffer in the rear helped quite a bit with the handling.
thanks. i'll do that. also, last night i found out that the front forks have air adjust also. and some sort of dampening control at the top of one fork leg and the bottom of the other leg. i'll read up on that when i get home. seems like a lot of things that could break.

and thanks for our conversation before i went to Wisc. i appreciated your help, as well.

homeward bound, ked
Old 08-29-2013, 05:48 AM   #10
hahnda
Gnarly Adventurer

The Sabre had an anti dive feature built into the forks. I think that is what you might see on the bottom of one of them.

You can pump the forks up a bit but to much will cause some leakage at the fork seals probably.
Heidenau Tires
Old 08-29-2013, 10:54 AM   #11
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer: 2,614
Kevin your getting to be like a dog urrr god to me, Quota's, Sabres I should haul the Elefant up and have you do something to it for your resume.DB
Old 08-29-2013, 01:12 PM   #12
hahnda
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebig View Post
Kevin your getting to be like a dog urrr god to me, Quota's, Sabres I should haul the Elefant up and have you do something to it for your resume.DB
Does it need anything?

I'm more into older stuff though, 2 Nortons, 2 Triumphs, and a Kawi 750 H2 in right now.

My Sabre sidecar rig was good to me. It was pretty low maintenance and went down the road quite well. It handled much better than my current rig but the Sabre rig was MUCH lower and had the leading link. The Quota rig is much more fun on the gravel though. The Sabre rig handled not so well on gravel.
Heidenau Tires
Old 08-29-2013, 08:05 PM   #13
ked OP
Gnarly Adventurer

rode mostly back roads and a few 4 lane roads, till i got to St. Louis. then i hit the familiar interstate, for the first time. heavy traffic with 50 mph, right turn, on/off ramps, and impatient cars behind you can make for some tense moments. kept my mind on driving and just got thru the traffic. felt like a first time driver for a few moments.

i made it home around noon. hated to hurry, but being a Dad has responsibilities. 880 miles with about 32 mpg. many thanks to Dave, Bill and Kevin for their help and advice.

now i am going to check "toe-in" and look into some steering mods. i hope this new hobby doesn't end up costing me much!

ked

ked screwed with this post 11-19-2013 at 06:34 AM
Old 08-30-2013, 03:27 AM   #14
cleatusj
Dirt floor engineer

Oddometer: 1,056
Ked, did you go down the east or west side of the river from the boot heel? I like the run down 51 better. It's been a few years and I'm sure the town has spread a long ways north of Fraizer.

Glade you had a safe ride home. Enjoy

Hack build: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...rt+floor+build
cleatusj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:43 PM   #15
ked OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatusj View Post
Ked, did you go down the east or west side of the river from the boot heel? I like the run down 51 better. It's been a few years and I'm sure the town has spread a long ways north of Fraizer.

Glade you had a safe ride home. Enjoy
sorry, just saw your post. i went down the west side. i had a few things i wanted to see in AR.

and yes, there is much above Frayser.

ked