ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-27-2013, 03:35 PM   #1
Pioneer1210 OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: UK
Oddometer: 34
Question F800GS - Hyperpro/Lower Suspension

Hi guys,

I've been a rider for more than 15 years but mostly with classic bikes and thinking to move on now and buy a GS! However, after driving 3-4 different F800GS (even with the low seat) i dont really feel comfortable with the height! I'm about 5.5 but i'm concerned about slow speed maneuvering and stopping.

I've seen that hyperpro does several lowering shocks/springs (25/50/80/100mm) and their price seems reasonable, however does that affect the bike handling/offroad ability considerably?

Also, are there any other options available?

Thank you
Pioneer1210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:07 PM   #2
Jays-f800gs
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Spokane, WA
Oddometer: 246
Im 5.5 and have the hyperpro 50mm and low seat, can get both balls of my feet down now, and early do one foot stops. The springs are stiffer/better then stock, less nose dive, but you lose some clearance.

Do it, you'll love it. Also I ride with a guy at work, fz6 I keep up with him just fine in the twistys.
__________________
'10 F800gs
Jays-f800gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:56 AM   #3
GordyMN
b00n-E
 
GordyMN's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Yugo, Minnesota
Oddometer: 247
I bought my 2010 used and it had the -50mm hyper pro's. My wife is 5'5" and could manage riding my bike with the stock seat, but low seat would have made it perfect for her.

I am 6'2" and 250lbs and those springs just weren't for me. I installed the stock height HD hyper pro's and am much happier.
They handle much better for me, but I will say when the going gets slow 'off-road' I occasionally miss the -50mm in height. ;)

Other options are out there, but bang for the buck it's hard to beat hyper pro.

I still have the -50mm springs ...............
GordyMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:59 PM   #4
Schai
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer1210 View Post
Hi guys,

I've been a rider for more than 15 years but mostly with classic bikes and thinking to move on now and buy a GS! However, after driving 3-4 different F800GS (even with the low seat) i dont really feel comfortable with the height! I'm about 5.5 but i'm concerned about slow speed maneuvering and stopping.

I've seen that hyperpro does several lowering shocks/springs (25/50/80/100mm) and their price seems reasonable, however does that affect the bike handling/offroad ability considerably?

Also, are there any other options available?

Thank you
Personally, I think that the best option is to start with an F700GS. But for the F800, Hyperpro is the cheapest route to being able to better use your legs for support. With the soft springs letting the bike sag down and rise up, the sidestand gets more awkward.
Schai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 10:01 AM   #5
davss
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2014
Oddometer: 25
Anyone know how much of actual ground clearance I'd loose if lowered my GSA-T '14 using 20mm kit from 860 to 840? I'll also need to take into account an extra load and a pillion passenger on paved roads only.

I'm 5.6" with 29" inseam and manage to put just over half of one foot on the ground atm but there are situations when it feels a bit uncomfortable particularly when the suspension automatically rises or uneven terrain under feet. Then my legs can't quite reach the ground properly and it's not a nice surprise if am unprepared. I learn not to use legs at all, stay on the bike and anticipate instead :) Obviously, when doing off-road, recovering a 230kg+ bike requires larger part of your foot or often both and is virtually impossible when tip-toeing unless wheels are in a groove or deep mud. You'll pass the balance point too quick before you get to do anything. I tried once with a 1200GS and managed to hold it up for some seconds then gave up and let it go down. I'm sure it was quite a stupid thing to do from my health perspective although didn't want to be a wimp in front of others. That's why love crashbars so much and IMHO they are a must on such heavy bikes unless you are super skilled and can fly this beast. My crashbars paid off within two weeks from purchase.
davss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 11:00 AM   #6
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer
 
itsatdm's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Nor Ca.
Oddometer: 4,613
Find out where they are taking the height measurement, seat or spring. I have an aftermarket shock that is 5mm shorter than stock and it lowers the seat 15mm.

At 5-6 I assume you weigh less than 175lb and if you do, you are probably within the weight limits of the stock spring. Run the fork tube up within the clamps.

Before you do, determine the front rider sag number. It is easy to do for the forks. Put a zip on them at full extension and see where they end up with a rider. Most strive for 30%. If less than that, you can shorten the spacer under the spring to achieve proper sag.
__________________
BMW Motorrad USA customer service: "We make superior motorcycles and continue to improve them."

itsatdm screwed with this post 08-15-2014 at 11:10 AM
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 03:19 PM   #7
davss
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2014
Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by davss View Post
Anyone know how much of actual ground clearance I'd loose if lowered my GSA-T '14 using 20mm kit from 860 to 840? I'll also need to take into account an extra load and a pillion passenger on paved roads only.

I'm 5.6" with 29" inseam and manage to put just over half of one foot on the ground atm but there are situations when it feels a bit uncomfortable particularly when the suspension automatically rises or uneven terrain under feet. Then my legs can't quite reach the ground properly and it's not a nice surprise if am unprepared. I learn not to use legs at all, stay on the bike and anticipate instead :) Obviously, when doing off-road, recovering a 230kg+ bike requires larger part of your foot or often both and is virtually impossible when tip-toeing unless wheels are in a groove or deep mud. You'll pass the balance point too quick before you get to do anything. I tried once with a 1200GS and managed to hold it up for some seconds then gave up and let it go down. I'm sure it was quite a stupid thing to do from my health perspective although didn't want to be a wimp in front of others. That's why love crashbars so much and IMHO they are a must on such heavy bikes unless you are super skilled and can fly this beast. My crashbars paid off within two weeks from purchase.
I confirmed with Hyperpro: 20mm = 20mm ground clearance. Measured it visually today and seems like it's quite a lot. I don't want to convert my F800GSA-T into a street bike hence will probably have to live with it (some feedback on my experiences here http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=125).
davss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 06:15 AM   #8
Turnerdude1
Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2014
Oddometer: 13
I am in the market for a used GS F700 and have a 29 inch inseam. Did a tour of the Alps and rented a F700 low seat low suspension and the seat height was 30.1. Was wondering if bought a F700 stock and put the hypro suspension on it how much would it cost and how much would it lower the bike. Having hard time finding a bike with factory lowered suspension. Thanks for any help you can give me..
Turnerdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 04:00 PM   #9
WooHoo
Adventurer
 
WooHoo's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: East of Oz.
Oddometer: 33
Thumbs up for Hyperpro

I have the 50mm lowering kit in my 2010 800gs, front and back. Handling is improved with the progressive springs. Lower height is not an issue unless you really do rough stuff and even then I suspect it is not much of an issue (I just rode mine from London to Magadan with some rough stuff in Mongolia and KYrgystan and while plenty of rocks hit the bash plate it rarely bottomed out).

I also have Bitubo inserts in the front and they are also great.

The spring install is a DIY job EXCEPT compressing the rear shock to get the ring collar off. A press helps here.
WooHoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 04:28 PM   #10
BMW_BIKER_KEITH
Gnarly Adventurer
 
BMW_BIKER_KEITH's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: St Louis Missouri - USA !
Oddometer: 399
Woohoo -

Did you have to do anything with your sidestand?

How about the Center stand? Still able to use it?
__________________
2010 Lava F800GS...AKA "Dirty Harry"
1998 R1200C Classic Black...AKA "Dick The Cruiser"
BMW_BIKER_KEITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 07:40 PM   #11
K7TNT
Gnarly Adventurer
 
K7TNT's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: N.E. Wyoming
Oddometer: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerdude1 View Post
I am in the market for a used GS F700 and have a 29 inch inseam. Did a tour of the Alps and rented a F700 low seat low suspension and the seat height was 30.1. Was wondering if bought a F700 stock and put the hypro suspension on it how much would it cost and how much would it lower the bike. Having hard time finding a bike with factory lowered suspension. Thanks for any help you can give me..
I put the Touratech 30mm lowering springs on my 14 f700gs and it works for me. I also have a 29" inseam on a good day. This set up works for me.
__________________
Ride Safe, Richard 14 F700GS ( My Wyoming has an East infection )
K7TNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 07:46 PM   #12
sorebutt
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Lewiston,ID
Oddometer: 1,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_BIKER_KEITH View Post
Woohoo -

Did you have to do anything with your sidestand?

How about the Center stand? Still able to use it?
I have the lowering springs on my 2011 and just did it for a friend on his new bike. The handling is much improved and it seldoms bottoms out, and I take it a lot of places it was never meant to go.

You can still use the center stand unless the bike is loaded. The bike only lowers about 1/2" when the bike is just sitting there. Then it goes down the rest of the way when you put your weight on it. So you only have about 1/2" more of lift to get the bike on the center stand.

I thought the stock sidestand was too long because it is hard to get down unless you are on level ground. I cut my stand down 1 1/2" and it is perfect for me.
sorebutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 12:54 AM   #13
WooHoo
Adventurer
 
WooHoo's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: East of Oz.
Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_BIKER_KEITH View Post
Woohoo -

Did you have to do anything with your sidestand?

How about the Center stand? Still able to use it?
Hi Biker Keith,

No mods to either stands. The centre stand seems unaffected. The bike does sit up a little more upright on the side stand.

I do also have a 'foot' on the side stand a few mm thick which doesn't help either.

I actually had it lowered through the triple clamp as well at one point... Combine the lowered triple, lowered springs and the side stand foot and I had to park the bike on level, or negative camber. Since I put the forks back in the triple clamp at factory height it is fine in almost all parking situations.
WooHoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014