Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2013, 03:35 PM   #1
Pioneer1210 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Question F800GS - Hyperpro/Lower Suspension

Hi guys,

I've been a rider for more than 15 years but mostly with classic bikes and thinking to move on now and buy a GS! However, after driving 3-4 different F800GS (even with the low seat) i dont really feel comfortable with the height! I'm about 5.5 but i'm concerned about slow speed maneuvering and stopping.

I've seen that hyperpro does several lowering shocks/springs (25/50/80/100mm) and their price seems reasonable, however does that affect the bike handling/offroad ability considerably?

Also, are there any other options available?

Thank you
Pioneer1210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:07 PM   #2
Jays-f800gs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
Im 5.5 and have the hyperpro 50mm and low seat, can get both balls of my feet down now, and early do one foot stops. The springs are stiffer/better then stock, less nose dive, but you lose some clearance.

Do it, you'll love it. Also I ride with a guy at work, fz6 I keep up with him just fine in the twistys.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:56 AM   #3
GordyMN
b00n-E

Oddometer: 240
I bought my 2010 used and it had the -50mm hyper pro's. My wife is 5'5" and could manage riding my bike with the stock seat, but low seat would have made it perfect for her.

I am 6'2" and 250lbs and those springs just weren't for me. I installed the stock height HD hyper pro's and am much happier.
They handle much better for me, but I will say when the going gets slow 'off-road' I occasionally miss the -50mm in height. ;)

Other options are out there, but bang for the buck it's hard to beat hyper pro.

I still have the -50mm springs ...............
GordyMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:59 PM   #4
Schai
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer1210 View Post
Hi guys,

I've been a rider for more than 15 years but mostly with classic bikes and thinking to move on now and buy a GS! However, after driving 3-4 different F800GS (even with the low seat) i dont really feel comfortable with the height! I'm about 5.5 but i'm concerned about slow speed maneuvering and stopping.

I've seen that hyperpro does several lowering shocks/springs (25/50/80/100mm) and their price seems reasonable, however does that affect the bike handling/offroad ability considerably?

Also, are there any other options available?

Thank you
Personally, I think that the best option is to start with an F700GS. But for the F800, Hyperpro is the cheapest route to being able to better use your legs for support. With the soft springs letting the bike sag down and rise up, the sidestand gets more awkward.
Schai is offline   Reply With Quote