Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2013, 07:27 AM   #1
TNsticks OP
Uber-n00b

Oddometer: 46
Dear Honda,

Dear Honda,

I really like your NC700x and cb500x bikes. The gas mileage, unique low rpm torque, great highway comfort, lower center gravity, low maintenance, and the fact that you expand your market. However, "adventure" does not quite fit them straight from the store. Maybe they could be classified as a Sport Touring?

Please make these modifications stock and release the model that we really want. NC700xt/ cb500xt (for trail-ready )
Spoke rims, 70/20 tires, Light bar/crashbar, Engine protection, Skid plate protecting full underside, cooler/ radiator guard, durable rear-end for heavier duty luggage, slightly larger gas tank if possible, power outlet inside storage box (for phone, bluetooth device, camera, or other device charging in dry), ABS on manual shift, bark-buster hand guards, and power outlet outside of box (for gps, heating, and other external accessories).

What do you guys think? That should do nicely right? If you bought one stock and did these things, you would be investing another 1.5-2.5k right? If they did this from factory and only upped the trim line by 1k or so. I'd buy before a lot fo other bikes. What about ya'll?
TNsticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:32 AM   #2
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,661
Horsepower!

You forgot! Cause those bikes don't have any.
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:44 AM   #3
TNsticks OP
Uber-n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED CAT View Post
LOL, true. It's not a peppy bike. More utilitarian in its motor design. Is it the necessary sacrifice to the the fuel mileage and price break from the other bikes?
I'm not a super aggressive rider (anymore), so I won't miss it much realizing the trade-off would be more valuable to me personally. Wasn't planning on jumping hills or riding wheelies down the free-way. If it can do 100 mph and climb a hill... I'm game.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:02 AM   #4
TeepS
Full Circle Rider

Oddometer: 320
L.T.S. too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED CAT View Post
And, "long (such as it is) travel" suspension.
TeepS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:45 AM   #5
modeselector
Common as muck

Oddometer: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNsticks View Post
Dear Honda,

I really like your NC700x and cb500x bikes. The gas mileage, unique low rpm torque, great highway comfort, lower center gravity, low maintenance, and the fact that you expand your market. However, "adventure" does not quite fit them straight from the store. Maybe they could be classified as a Sport Touring?

Please make these modifications stock and release the model that we really want. NC700xt/ cb500xt (for trail-ready )
Spoke rims, 70/20 tires, Light bar/crashbar, Engine protection, Skid plate protecting full underside, cooler/ radiator guard, durable rear-end for heavier duty luggage, slightly larger gas tank if possible, power outlet inside storage box (for phone, bluetooth device, camera, or other device charging in dry), ABS on manual shift, bark-buster hand guards, and power outlet outside of box (for gps, heating, and other external accessories).
In reality the 500 already has a large enough tank. The NC could use 1/2 gallon more.

Slightly larger spoked wheels and a bit better suspension/ground clearance is the main thing from keeping these bikes from taking any real market share from BMW's 650/700, the Vstrom etc.

To keep the price competitive, all the other accessories you mentioned would be handled by the aftermarket companies.

Sooo close yet so far. Maybe Honda see's the "Adventure" market as too much of a niche market to properly participate.
modeselector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:26 AM   #6
Nevada
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
Quote:
You won't see more power from the CB500. It's designed specifically to come in just under the "new" EC A2 tiered licensing requirement of 47hp.

Of your list, the only one's I'd really, really want to see from the factory is the spoked rims, power outlet, switchable ABS. You left out the absolute most important aspect though, more suspension travel. I'd like to see 6-7" front and rear.

Based on the way Honda prices things, the rest would be cheaper from the aftermarket. (Yes, the power outlet might be cheaper too, but in this new age of electronic gadgets everywhere, it's a really inexpensive thing for Honda to add that gives good return from the marketing perspective.)
Nevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:56 PM   #7
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,073
Quote:
Dear Honda,

What do you guys think? That should do nicely right? If you bought one stock and did these things, you would be investing another 1.5-2.5k right? If they did this from factory and only upped the trim line by 1k or so. I'd buy before a lot fo other bikes. What about ya'll?
Just give me good skid-mounting points and 21/17 spoked wheels, while retaining the ABS option on manny-tranny models. Tubeless would be great. I can take care of the rest easily enough.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:48 PM   #8
TNsticks OP
Uber-n00b

Cool guys. SO...

Spoke Rims
Better Travel
Mounting Points for Aftermarket parts
ABS (that can be turned off) on manual
Maybe a half-gallon larger on tank
Electronic Outlets

and we might be talking more competitive?

"niche market"... They got to be after something. I just don't see the crotch-rocket guy saying now wait a min... the cruiser guy or even the dirtbike guy. I think they ment to target the true adventure market (while attracting some attention to comfort commuters) but just missed by a little making it a little tender for the trails. In my opinion a few easy fixes gets them there. Maybe it's working for them regardless. Soooooo close.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:36 PM   #9
dogjaw
plays well alone

Oddometer: 2,359
This is a strange forum; I'm happy as a jackass eating cactus while riding my CBX, the become strangely dissatisfied after reading about all the things Honda got wrong, only to repeat the cycle when I go for another ride... I have to remind myself that the best motorcycle for any situation is the one you have available, and is at best a blank canvas when new.

CB500X, DR650 semi motard
dogjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:05 AM   #10
TNsticks OP
Uber-n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogjaw View Post
This is a strange forum; I'm happy as a jackass eating cactus while riding my CBX, the become strangely dissatisfied after reading about all the things Honda got wrong, only to repeat the cycle when I go for another ride... I have to remind myself that the best motorcycle for any situation is the one you have available, and is at best a blank canvas when new.

I hear ya man, I saw your comment in the CB500x thread. Seems like you're loving it. I'm broke and would rather have some things stock, before I purchase. If I had one, it probably would be 50/50 or 60/40 tar/dirt. I'd still get one at the right price as they are now, don't get me wrong...
I could be really wrong on these things...it's just stuff I'd think I would prefer and most generally the customer that it is being geared to.

I have a 2010 Kia Soul and LOVE it. However, they did better on the 2012 ones and fixed a few things that suited the customer better with little cost to themselves. 6-speed Tranny, for example. People kept stating they wanted better gas miles, they listened with an easy fix (from 28mpg to about 31). I didn't run out and buy a new soul bc of it. I'm glad they did it, wish I had one. But it isn't a big enough difference to matter to someone that has already purchased and enjoying their machine daily.

and 2 years before others, mind you....I woulnd't give up those 2 years owning or waiting for the soul to be "just right". RIde your beast and enjoy it! I'm envious!

TNsticks screwed with this post 08-29-2013 at 06:20 AM
Old 08-29-2013, 11:17 AM   #11
Kaneto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Quote:
"niche market"... They got to be after something. I just don't see the crotch-rocket guy saying now wait a min... the cruiser guy or even the dirtbike guy. I think they ment to target the true adventure market (while attracting some attention to comfort commuters) but just missed by a little making it a little tender for the trails. In my opinion a few easy fixes gets them there. Maybe it's working for them regardless. Soooooo close.
Same thing could have been said about the Versys, but Kawasaki did quite well by it despite it not being a true adventure bike, or true sport bike. Some people modded it to be more suitable for adventure, some made it more suitable for touring, some found it just right for what they wanted. I have a feeling Honda went the same way, rather than committing fully into the adventure niche. Considering that I'm looking at the NC700X as a possible replacement for my Versys, I think Honda hit the mark pretty well.
Kaneto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:20 PM   #12
The_Precious_Juice
Green Horn

Oddometer: 585
I hear you man

I started researching MC back in January to replace my ten year old Saturn. I wanted to have a MC as a primary vehicle.

I failed to find that bike.

I settled on going with a bike just for a several month long adventure tour.

Sadly, one of the top bikes on my list came out back when Atlanta hosted the 100th Summer Olympics, and when Terry Labonte won his 2nd and last Winston Cup title in Nascar. And they're still making them today! I tell cagers this, and they get confused mighty quick.

At first I thought I was really lucky because in 2011 and 2012/13, a lot of bikes started coming out.

New V-Strom
New GS thumpers
New F800GS
New R1200GS
Husy's TR650
And of course Honda's bikes.

Sadly, these bikes are close, but not where I need them to be.

With Honda: There is not anything in between the CRF250L and the CB500X/NC700X.

Like what many of you'all have said, Honda is making MCs to sale globally. 48hp for Europe. The 500s have the same engine and frame.
Honda did their research, and believe a lot of riders do not take their bikes up to 100+ miles per hour. Hell, I only did it once with my first bike, Honda F3.
Looks like their research shows that Enduros/Dualsport/Adventure do not go off the tarmac much at all.

_
I have to look at the good side of things. Here in the US, MC are cheaper, and the fuel is cheaper. Plus Canada is a great neighbor to have. I'm glad to have the once in a life time opportunity to do some adventure touring. Sure, I can't find the exact MC I'm looking for, but I'll adapt and over come.
The_Precious_Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 03:21 PM   #13
theloop
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Funny thing is, if Honda would have made the cb500x like some you suggest, I would not have bought it. The next closest thing I was thinking about was a NT700v with ABS, I liked the shaft drive, but hated the side cases, so I made the CB500x my little sports tourer. and it was about $3000 cheaper even after I installed the large windshield and hepco becker cases.
theloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:37 PM   #14
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by theloop View Post
Funny thing is, if Honda would have made the cb500x like some you suggest, I would not have bought it. The next closest thing I was thinking about was a NT700v with ABS, I liked the shaft drive, but hated the side cases, so I made the CB500x my little sports tourer. and it was about $3000 cheaper even after I installed the large windshield and hepco becker cases.
The CB500F is pretty close.

I can't really justify buying a new CB500X until I know that I can put a skid and a 21" front knobby on it easily and inexpensively enough to bother with. As a do-it-all bike for the single-bike garage, the DR is still more versatile. It'll do serious dirt. It'll run slab for days on end. The CB500X looks like a fun and comfortable little bike that should work well for many people, but Honda missed the mark a little bit for somebody like me. The sand and mud around here is no place for a 17" front on a 400lb+ bike, and not being able to mount a sturdy skid leaves the exhaust/engine open to expensive damage from merely a rock kicking up off the front tire. I'd love to have an inexpensive, low-seat, dirt-capable bike that runs slab well, like the DR is, but with ABS, a little more power, and a little more comfort for 2up. The CB500X is so freaking close. It's like a mini-Wee, IMO. This should normally mean that it's better for the dirt, but a 17" front wheel and the lack of mounting points for a sturdy skid kind of put a damper on this. Honda already has 2 street-oriented 500cc twins. They could have hit one out of the park with a dirt-capable 500 twin adv bike by just putting on a front 21 and some skid-mounting points. Let the aftermarket or optional equipment take care of the rest. Did Honda wuss out? It seems like it, to me at least. A lot of people probably feel differently, but they may not be as interested in riding dirt as much.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:44 PM   #15
Precis
Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer: 3,313
Quote:
Dear Honda,

"Unique low rpm torque"?
You're joking, right?
And "70/20" tyres? I think I'd like a full 100% from my tyres, thanks!

Face it, these bikes are the two-wheeled equivilent of a Honda CR-V softroader SUV: they'll never have to climb anything more severe than the kerb at the mall, will only see dirt when dropping kids off at the soccer pitch - and mostly get parked out the front of a suburban home to impress the not-nearly-so-adventurous pussy next door.
About all that other stuff you want? Please wait a moment, a Touratech representative will be along to empty your wallet shortly. It'll come from the after-market - either some Chinese factory will be stamping out poorly-made accessories at rock-bottom prices, or some enterprising and recently-downsized crafstman will start popping out bespoke parts at a slow but steady rate.
as said elsewhere, Honda (et al) provide a bland blank canvas; please feel free to draw on it whatever you like - but be aware that doing so will invalidate your warranty....