Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2013, 08:42 PM   #781
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triplepawed View Post
I'm measuring my Honda Element tomorrow to see if a Grom fits in the back.
Well if a CBR600 (I'm guessing that's what's in the pic) can fit, I have no doubt a Grom will
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:20 PM   #782
Tip Over
Whoopsie!

Oddometer: 994
I felt like an absolute fool riding around on a Grom.

But you know what? I didn't actually care. It's a really fun little bike and I was too busy seeing how far over I could crank it on my little route I decided to take.
Tip Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:45 PM   #783
corndog67
Banned

Oddometer: 1,281
What's wrong with Jerry? He seems to have some deep seated hate for these bikes. I bet they turn into next Honda 50, just like McDonalds, 100 million sold. I know he's hoping/wishing for them to flop, but i think they are going to be a strong seller, Jerry is the ONLY one that i've seen sniveling. I bet he wouldnt even give one a chance by riding one (someone might laugh). It isn't the bike they're laughing at, its you. Of course, someone laughed at him on his XR100, maybe that fucked with his psyche enough to turn him against little bikes. Then he showed everyone when he got his XR400, I bet they went home and cried then! I ride an XR75 or a 1970 CT70 pretty much every day in my neighborhood. My neighbors actually ask if they can ride either of them, regularly. Of course, they are big time fun. Like a Grom would be, I assume. You should worry less about your image and maybe practice stuffing a Grom underneath a sport bike in some turns.
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:38 AM   #784
easternshorebiker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Out of curiosity, I did a partial fill up today. 0.72 gallons for 68 miles. That is all around town miles with varying amounts of throttle and speed. Most of the trips were around a mile each, nearly constant stop and stop, which is typical of what I put my Ruckus through. Should be pretty easy to break 100 MPG for the riding that I do.

Believe it or not, I need to watch my speed though. I picked up a warning this morning for riding 35 in a 25 MPH zone.

easternshorebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:52 AM   #785
JerseyBiker
Scootarazzi

Oddometer: 1,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by corndog67 View Post
What's wrong with Jerry? He seems to have some deep seated hate for these bikes. I bet they turn into next Honda 50, just like McDonalds, 100 million sold. I know he's hoping/wishing for them to flop, but i think they are going to be a strong seller, Jerry is the ONLY one that i've seen sniveling. I bet he wouldnt even give one a chance by riding one (someone might laugh). It isn't the bike they're laughing at, its you. Of course, someone laughed at him on his XR100, maybe that fucked with his psyche enough to turn him against little bikes. Then he showed everyone when he got his XR400, I bet they went home and cried then! I ride an XR75 or a 1970 CT70 pretty much every day in my neighborhood. My neighbors actually ask if they can ride either of them, regularly. Of course, they are big time fun. Like a Grom would be, I assume. You should worry less about your image and maybe practice stuffing a Grom underneath a sport bike in some turns.
While Jerry is the most vocal about it, there are several of us who have expressed surprise that the Grom is being imported by Honda. To me, it appears to be a toy with no real practical purpose. I would love to ride one. I'd love to have a place I could go and rent one for a day but can't see ever actually owning one.

Some have compared it to the Honda Ruckus. A check on Total Ruckus reveals folks who have spent many thousands of dollars changing/upgrading a $2000 scooter. I don't get that either.

Still, there is room for toys and those of us who don't get it certainly aren't wishing for a flop of this or any scooter. A rising tide floats all boats and an increase in any type of small motorcycle/scooter interest serves us all well.

My .02

David
Old 08-29-2013, 09:05 AM   #786
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyBiker View Post
While Jerry is the most vocal about it, there are several of us who have expressed surprise that the Grom is being imported by Honda. To me, it appears to be a toy with no real practical purpose. I would love to ride one. I'd love to have a place I could go and rent one for a day but can't see ever actually owning one.

Some have compared it to the Honda Ruckus. A check on Total Ruckus reveals folks who have spent many thousands of dollars changing/upgrading a $2000 scooter. I don't get that either.

Still, there is room for toys and those of us who don't get it certainly aren't wishing for a flop of this or any scooter. A rising tide floats all boats and an increase in any type of small motorcycle/scooter interest serves us all well.

My .02

David
The majority of motorcycles sold in this country are sold as toys. Why should this be any different?? This one just happens to be less expensive and probably more pure fun than most. Sure, most larger motorcycles could be used as practical transportation, but how many are?

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:28 AM   #787
CaptnJim
Scootist

Oddometer: 819
Quote:
Originally Posted by easternshorebiker View Post
Out of curiosity, I did a partial fill up today. 0.72 gallons for 68 miles. That is all around town miles with varying amounts of throttle and speed. Most of the trips were around a mile each, nearly constant stop and stop, which is typical of what I put my Ruckus through. Should be pretty easy to break 100 MPG for the riding that I do.

Believe it or not, I need to watch my speed though. I picked up a warning this morning for riding 35 in a 25 MPH zone.

Great on the mileage! If you're gonna be a Gromster, you need to commit: never let 'em take you alive!!

While I said I wouldn't be buying one, I sure hope Honda sells a bunch of 'em. I get the fun factor. I understand the appeal. When I mentioned people laughing at a rider on one, I wasn't referring to any concern about someone laughing at me... I got over that a LONG time ago. But, how many young guys are that secure?

When my daughter was young (over 25 years ago), we moved from a place out of town (where she could ride her Yamaha dirt bike) to in town; I bought her a Honda scooter. I also insisted on ATGATT for her. Some other (jealous) kids laughed at her on the scooter with a helmet and boots. She didn't want to ride the scooter any more. I can see something similar with potential Grom buyers. OK, certainly not the self-assured folks here, but younger buyers who aren't smart enough, nor confident enough, to be participants in this ADV forum.

I think the Grom has enough going for it in the fun factor alone to be a sales success... early on. Time will tell if it has legs. For those who are going to ride it and enjoy it, who gives a rat's rear if it is a huge seller - as long as you get yours!

I know some folks here buy and sell bikes all the time. I tend to have more "long term relationships" with my bikes. I hope you Grom riders are able to enjoy your bikes for a good long time. Really.

I'm a lover, not a hater,
Captain Jim

PS A Grom in the back of an Element sounds like a great way to go!
Old 08-29-2013, 09:33 AM   #788
corndog67
Banned

Toys. Just toys. I've got a 6 minute, $15 a week commute on my KTM. I'm pretty sure a Grom would make that into a 7 or 8 minute, $6.00 a week for gas, commute. I see people put multiple thousands of dollars into aluminum bags, Scheberth Helmets, the fanciest fog and driving lights you can get, grips from Rizoma for $150 (fuckin' ridiculous!), $100 levers that aren't finished as nice as stock Brembo or Magura , etc., etc., on their big bikes. I don't see what the difference would be for a Grom. We accessorize. Whether its making a big KTM or GS, that will probably never see a trail in its life, appear to have just returned from Senegal, to making an XR230L appear to be a Supermoto, to making your GSXR, look like Schwants race winning Lucky Strike Suzook, its what we do.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:21 PM   #789
minimotos95
it's a KLR who cares

Oddometer: 172

im imagining what Jerry would say if yamaha brought the ysr50 back.

i get laughed at all the time when riding my mini. i started to actually like it. if they are laughing that means they know you are there, if they know you wont get smashed accidentally. my bike is designed for a kid not an adult like the grom so its probably funnier

in america motorcycles will always be toys instead of transportation. that is just the way it is, and why we dont get any newly imported under bones
minimotos95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:36 PM   #790
JerseyBiker
Scootarazzi

Oddometer: 1,901
Well, if you read my post y'all will see I'm not a hater on the Grom.

Also, while most bikes may be sold as toys, that's a long way from a toy with no practical purpose.

I'm wishing the Grom the best and hoping it is a success but also am fully expecting it to be a dud.

Time will tell. Till then we each have our opinions.

Also as an observation, while Jerry may express his opinions on bikes and scoots and may even do it over and over, the only personal attacks I see come from others, not Jerry. We all have opinions and are entitled to them, how about simply disagreeing with the opinion and not attacking the person?

Happy Holiday weekend! Y'all ride safe and post some ride reports of the cool places you went over the long weekend!
Old 08-29-2013, 04:40 PM   #791
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyBiker View Post
.... To me, it appears to be a toy with no real practical purpose.
In the U.S. most motorized cycles are used as toys with no real practical purpose. What's the real practical purpose of a Harley with loud pipes, that cost more than the owner's car, that is only used to go bar to bar two weekends per month in the summer? What's the real practical purpose of a dirt bike that gets trucked to the trails?

My wife doesn't commute to work on her current XT-225. She doesn't run errands or go shopping on it. What is its real practical purpose? She'll take a ride, and then come home and get in her SUV to run errands or go to work.

And why can't a toy look like a toy?
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 05:30 PM   #792
corndog67
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by viverrid View Post
In the U.S. most motorized cycles are used as toys with no real practical purpose. What's the real practical purpose of a Harley with loud pipes, that cost more than the owner's car, that is only used to go bar to bar two weekends per month in the summer? What's the real practical purpose of a dirt bike that gets trucked to the trails?

My wife doesn't commute to work on her current XT-225. She doesn't run errands or go shopping on it. What is its real practical purpose? She'll take a ride, and then come home and get in her SUV to run errands or go to work.

And why can't a toy look like a toy?
About the only real practical purpose I can see is mental health issues. I can get off of work at 1 or 2am, all pissed off, do a 4 or 5 gear wheelie at 100 mph down the block on my KTM, and every thing gets better.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:55 PM   #793
Dav101
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Opposites Attract

Took the twins out for a ride today. I gotta say though – given that the Grom is a ton of fun - it felt kind of slow after back to back rides.

Please excuse my opinions if they seem harsh – they’re just my opinions.

People believe the Grom was made for children and that is a mistake. It was made for big kids. I guess I’m one of those big kids. I’m 44, 225, 5’11” 32” inseam and I rode the thing practically all day breaking in. If you want to know what it’s like just picture yourself getting in the front car of a roller coaster. When riding facing straight ahead and ears level with the horizon all I see in front of me is the top ¼ of the mirrors. There is nothing in front of you and it feels like your superman flying in a sitting position.

I was nervous about all the talk about ergonomics but I have found the Grom quite comfortable for a mini. 30 minute rides through a variety of road twists, hills, slaloms, curves, and down hill whooshes leaves one exhilarated and not a bit sore or cramped up. Who is going to ride the Grom for longer than 30 minutes at a time? …people that take the bike way too seriously. I’m not one of those people. The Grom is a toy in every sense of the word. (The best toy – EVER!)

On flat roads I reached 55 mph easily enough but that’s about it. But who is going to ride the grom on flat roads? No one in their right mind. The bike slows to 50 mph climbing hills and speeds to 60 going down. It will go faster, I’m positively sure, but until I’m broken in I’m not letting the RPM’s get too high. I got the feeling you'd have to lay the Grom on it's side to touch a peg down - plenty of cornering goose bump inducing clearance.

I removed the seat strap for comfort and placed a washer under each metal seat hook to make popping the seat on and off easy. Moving around on the seat is easy and can offer one on a long boring highway drone another 30 minutes easily enough. Other than the battery tender pigtail I won’t be changing anything on the bike. It is what it is and it makes me grin whenever I set eyes on it. Cool little bike.

If you feel the need to justify owning a Grom and the need to defend your choice to own one – you care way too much about what others think. I signed my name for one with no deposit down and was told if I go the full 36 months I will end up paying a little less than $160.00 in total interest for the loan. Pffft… $160.00 is a night out at a Hockey Game… not too big a deal to me. $3426.85 OTD including state sales tax, dealer fees, registration, title, …everything. Maybe I could have done better but the bike is awfully new and I’m pleased.

And lastly if anyone is still reading this… The PCX150 can run circles around the Grom. I have one, I know. So if your on your Grom and you pull up to a PCX150 at the light and your about to go all Michael Andretti… save yourself some embarrassment... don’t get cocky.
Dav101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:02 PM   #794
quasigentrified
Cityfolk

Oddometer: 652
great writeup, thanks!

'14 Triumph America LT for posin'
quasigentrified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:08 PM   #795
CaptnJim
Scootist

Oddometer: 819
I read it all the way through - that's the attitude one needs with that bike! Fun write up!

Captain Jim