ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-28-2013, 06:00 PM   #511
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer
 
VEGASGSA's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: The Northwet..
Oddometer: 6,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otherworld View Post
What started as a problems with GSLC thread turning into a pissing contest says to me the 2013 was a superb launch! Phew. Pick mine up tomorrow. Cant wait.
We're just havin' funs...no pissing contests..not up here..drop in the basement n00b..

Oh yeah..bring beer and bacon sammichs...
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
You are not half as ugly as I thought you would be!
VEGASGSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:32 AM   #512
Dangerous hamster
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Oddometer: 65
Hey folks have read this thread I wondered if the fact that a lot of people are having issues with their switchgear could be down to the fact the swithgear isn't sealed. If you look at the image there is a gaping hole to let water in

While my bike was getting serviced I checked the different model bmw bikes and it appeared that they were all sealed apart from the new model

[IMG]



It's not just my bike with this hole is it :) ?
Dangerous hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:40 AM   #513
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer
 
VEGASGSA's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: The Northwet..
Oddometer: 6,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous hamster View Post
Hey folks have read this thread I wondered if the fact that a lot of people are having issues with their switchgear could be down to the fact the swithgear isn't sealed. If you look at the image there is a gaping hole to let water in

While my bike was getting serviced I checked the different model bmw bikes and it appeared that they were all sealed apart from the new model
Naw..none of them are "sealed" water can always get in around the buttons themselves..nor are they designed to be..

The problem with the new switch gear..AS I UNDERSTAND IT..is a manufacturing process coupled with the assembly and there being too much clearance between the "contacts"..(Due to temp variations..)Why they work sometimes and not others..

JetSpeed may be able to elaborate here..I think his has had these problems..as well as Marchyman..
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
You are not half as ugly as I thought you would be!
VEGASGSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:47 AM   #514
nwpa
Generally amused
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Along the Great Lakes
Oddometer: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous hamster View Post
Hey folks have read this thread I wondered if the fact that a lot of people are having issues with their switchgear could be down to the fact the swithgear isn't sealed. If you look at the image there is a gaping hole to let water in

While my bike was getting serviced I checked the different model bmw bikes and it appeared that they were all sealed apart from the new model


It's not just my bike with this hole is it :) ?
Mine failed at 600 miles and had been garaged and never exposed to any moisture.

I've put a few thousand miles on the replacement switch now with no issues.
nwpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:52 AM   #515
Hicks
der Überluber
 
Hicks's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Prague, CZ
Oddometer: 457
repost from the "threadfest" thread:

guys.. check the bolts on the final drive(!)

We've found 3 of them loosened.

21 000 kms so far.

+

okay.

I've not intended to post what I've found, but -- safety first -- here it goes :/

edit: watch for STRANGE noises when pushing the bike. it was NOT AUDIBLE while riding.. even when engine turned off. I suspected the brake... it was pretty hard to find out the cause.



__________________
R1200GS 2013 LC, F800GS '08 (130 000+km)
.de + .at + .it + .sk + .pl + .hu + .li + .ch + .fr + .es + .p + .and + .lu + .be + .nl + .uk + .sco + .ork + .slo + .hr + .bih + .srb
Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:53 AM   #516
Hicks
der Überluber
 
Hicks's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Prague, CZ
Oddometer: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy-09 View Post
That's not good, I'm sure your dealer knows, that should reach BMW service for sure, screws are not supposed to come lose, right? Typically blue Loctite is used on that type of stuff but don't see any color on that screw...
looks like the screw was not loctited.

Dealer told me that it was probably NOT secured by loctite:



bigger pics of that tortured bolt:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-y...822_084626.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-1...822_084525.jpg

Now I'm waiting for the NEW FINAL DRIVE. Until it's arrival, I have that poor bold loctited.

Honestly I still have my underwear kind of brownish my dealer told me the screw SHOULD BREAK in case of lockdown, but I'm not that sure.. it could move somewhere to the brake caliper .. or parts of it.
__________________
R1200GS 2013 LC, F800GS '08 (130 000+km)
.de + .at + .it + .sk + .pl + .hu + .li + .ch + .fr + .es + .p + .and + .lu + .be + .nl + .uk + .sco + .ork + .slo + .hr + .bih + .srb
Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:55 AM   #517
Bazgab
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Bazgab's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Raleigh, NC
Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwpa View Post
Mine failed at 600 miles and had been garaged and never exposed to any moisture.

I've put a few thousand miles on the replacement switch now with no issues.
The issue with my switchgear was exacerbated by water entering the housing as my original switchgear didn't have any issues until it was rained on for the first time. Then the buttons started failing and sticking, mainly the turn signals and the Trip/Info button.

Mine has been flawless as well after it was replaced with the revised replacement switchgear.
Bazgab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:59 AM   #518
fubar201
Gnarly Adventurer
 
fubar201's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: SF Bay Area
Oddometer: 255
I was never impressed with the feel of the switch gear, but didn't have any failures. After reading this thread I preemptively gave all the switches a WD-40 treatment. The feel is much better and all are still working after over 5K miles. I will likely repeat every few months.
fubar201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:23 AM   #519
JetSpeed
Naviator
 
JetSpeed's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: KNZY
Oddometer: 2,589
No issues with the switchgear on my GS-W and I've been through a few downpours.
Just had an issue with the clutch friction zone being fine when cold and then all over the place the rest of the time, but it seems to be sorted out, was caused by either the oil level or type.
__________________
2013 R1200GSW
JetSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:29 AM   #520
Hicks
der Überluber
 
Hicks's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Prague, CZ
Oddometer: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by fubar201 View Post
I was never impressed with the feel of the switch gear, but didn't have any failures. After reading this thread I preemptively gave all the switches a WD-40 treatment. The feel is much better and all are still working after over 5K miles. I will likely repeat every few months.
did the same.
__________________
R1200GS 2013 LC, F800GS '08 (130 000+km)
.de + .at + .it + .sk + .pl + .hu + .li + .ch + .fr + .es + .p + .and + .lu + .be + .nl + .uk + .sco + .ork + .slo + .hr + .bih + .srb
Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:37 AM   #521
JetSpeed
Naviator
 
JetSpeed's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: KNZY
Oddometer: 2,589
I'm a little hesitant to spray WD40 in contact area of perfectly working switchgear.
I have no first hand knowledge and nothing to back this up but it seems to me that initially it may make the switches operate nicely but over time the oily residue would attract dirt.

I also wonder if the later production GS-W's don't already have the upgraded switchgear, I noticed that the early production GS-W's had Metzler tires and later had Michelins, my bike was built in 5/13.
__________________
2013 R1200GSW
JetSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:40 AM   #522
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer
 
VEGASGSA's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: The Northwet..
Oddometer: 6,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by fubar201 View Post
I was never impressed with the feel of the switch gear, but didn't have any failures. After reading this thread I preemptively gave all the switches a WD-40 treatment. The feel is much better and all are still working after over 5K miles. I will likely repeat every few months.
Find something besides WD 40..it turns to varnish and becomes gummy...
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
You are not half as ugly as I thought you would be!
VEGASGSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:48 AM   #523
Dangerous hamster
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Oddometer: 65
Cheers for the replies. I won't have switchgear nightmares tonight then :)

I've had a couple of further issues with my bike.

I have filled her up on several occasions and found a big pool of petrol underneath the bike. I haven't overfilled her and not sure why the petrol would be there but I have her booked in to be looked at. I opened the petrol cap to fill her and the petrol cap was in bits when I flipped it. Again bmw have ordered a replacement and will fix it


My biggest concern with this bike is the ESA. It's not really what I expected. When I go over a slightly pitted road surface it just doesn't feel smooth to me

I also made the mistake of leaving the preload set to pillion and not changing it back again after my pillion ride. I didn't realise what I'd done at first and thought the bike had gone faulty. I could feel and hear clunking, clacking and slipping whenever the clutch was pulled in or when I just rolled on or off the throttle. The bike was almost unrideable.

I had a eureka moment and sure enough after changing to solo the bike was sorted. I tried this several times to confirm it and every time the same results.

Has anyone else experienced this with the ESA.?
Dangerous hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:22 PM   #524
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer
 
VEGASGSA's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: The Northwet..
Oddometer: 6,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous hamster View Post
Cheers for the replies. I won't have switchgear nightmares tonight then :)

I've had a couple of further issues with my bike.

I have filled her up on several occasions and found a big pool of petrol underneath the bike. I haven't overfilled her and not sure why the petrol would be there but I have her booked in to be looked at. I opened the petrol cap to fill her and the petrol cap was in bits when I flipped it. Again bmw have ordered a replacement and will fix it


My biggest concern with this bike is the ESA. It's not really what I expected. When I go over a slightly pitted road surface it just doesn't feel smooth to me

I also made the mistake of leaving the preload set to pillion and not changing it back again after my pillion ride. I didn't realise what I'd done at first and thought the bike had gone faulty. I could feel and hear clunking, clacking and slipping whenever the clutch was pulled in or when I just rolled on or off the throttle. The bike was almost unrideable.

I had a eureka moment and sure enough after changing to solo the bike was sorted. I tried this several times to confirm it and every time the same results.

Has anyone else experienced this with the ESA.?
No clue on your fuel issue..a vent line some where isn't terminated I'd guess..

As to your ESA..If you left it on "two helmets"..when you were on your own..I'd venture a guess, it made noise because the shock was topping out..(Getting as long as it could)..so..between the shock and all the swingarm mass coming to an abrupt stop..yeah..it would be noisy and a bit disconcerting...

I'd also guess you are on the lighter side of GS owners? I doubt I'd notice..
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
You are not half as ugly as I thought you would be!
VEGASGSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:50 PM   #525
Dangerous hamster
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Oddometer: 65
Ha ha I'm not as light as I used to be but imagine I'm not the heaviest on here:). I'm about 13 stone.....my pillion was about 7 stone (my daughter)

The same issue also occurs when you change ESA but don't wait for helmets to stop flashing before you pull off. I made this mistake before I read the manual :)

Thanks for the reply
Dangerous hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014