Noth
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Noth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 08:40 AM   #288
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

Oddometer: 617
I'm trying to capture some still frames from the GoPro movie of us heading out of town. Time consuming work.
Hondarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 05:00 PM   #289
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

Dawn broke bright and sunny on Day 6 and it was time to start our journey home. This is usually the time when my homing instinct kicks into high gear and I can focus on nothing more than getting home as quickly as possible...no side trips...no photo ops...no breaks...just straight home via the fastest roads available. It's almost involuntary...I can't help it...once the trip is over, I just want to be home.

Knowing this about myself, I tried to plan a couple must-see destinations along the way...just to keep the adventure going a bit longer. I perused the map and settled on some destinations that I was sure Mike had never experienced...Mount Rushmore, Wall Drug, and the Corn Palace in Mitchell, South Dakota. Epic.

Mike and I were packed up and ready to hit the road before the Misty MOuntain Lodge had even seen the first rays of sunshine. We were headed east out of the mountains and then north into Wyoming.

MIke was ready to rock...

Is that a hot tub in the background? I missed that.

Misty Mountain LOdge has plenty of grills for guests to use and a nice fire pit for chilling after a long day of riding. I highly recommend this place. Its a little rustic, but the family that runs it is nice and it was clean.

Old 08-31-2013, 06:03 PM   #290
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

Today's route will bring us through some desolate areas...360 miles to Mount Rushmore...should be about 6 hours of riding...play tourist for a little bit...then press on until we find lodging for the night.

Old 08-31-2013, 06:34 PM   #291
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

First glimpse of sunshine as we hit the road...

Mike looks like he's ready to rock. I wonder if there is any oil in that crankcase.

Old 09-01-2013, 06:42 PM   #292
Connito
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Fantastic report! I have been to most of the places you have on your report, but the way you present them, it just makes them better! You surely have your way with words!
Thank you for taking the time to entertain us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondarider View Post

Mike looks like he's ready to rock. I wonder if there is any oil in that crankcase.

Uh-Oh!

Cheers,
Pete

Neil Peart
Connito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 04:14 AM   #293
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

It's been brought to my attention by a certain over-critical coworker that I've just been "phoning it in" for the last few entries and not putting forth the same amount of effort as earlier. It's true. We've reached the point in the ride report when I generally just want to go home, see the family, and sleep in my own bed. Outside of the ride report, in the real world, I'm all geeked up for my next trip that begins in about 3 days.

That being said, I suppose I can't just end the thread with "We rode home." I'll try to muster up some enthusiasm. After all, we did stop to tour the World Famous Corn Palace...a life changing event in itself...surely that's worthy of a hundred words or so.

Hondarider screwed with this post 09-04-2013 at 09:39 AM
Old 09-04-2013, 05:12 AM   #294
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

Riding out of Estes Park was bittersweet at best...Big Thomson Canyon Rd. (Rt.34) is twisty and scenic enough...the sun was bright and warm...the temperature was comfortable...traffic was non-existant, but we were leaving Colorado today and that always depresses me. I could have spent another 3 months banging around the mountains; working my way over into Utah or up to Jackson Hole...Guanella Pass...Hurricane Pass...Loveland Pass...Ouray...Pagosa Springs...Million Dollar Highway...a thousand roads and trails I've never even seen. A couple days in Colorado is nowhere near enough...it's like being punished for being from somewhere else. Sure, it's better than simply staying home, but it's not nearly enough. It's like a kiss from a beautiful stranger just before she boards the plane - never to be seen again. It exhilirates...your heart soars...and then it crushes you with feelings of loss and longing. It makes you wonder if you would have been better off having never experienced it at all...happily oblivious...never knowing the thrill of it, but never knowing the pain of losing it either.

The upside is that you know where this particular girl lives...you can visit her again...you can breeze into town whenever you want and she's always there waiting for you...never even asks where you've been...just happy to show you something new...arms wide open for that welcoming embrace...hell, you can move in with her and start a new life if you want...she's game...if you're willing to give up your current life. People do it all the time...our driver for the 4wd tour did it...most of the folks you meet in ther mountains did it. The mountains are full of people who were so smitten with her that going back to flatland life was just too much to handle...they put a ring on her finger and decided to make a life together.

Colorado has been my not-so-secret affair for over 20 years. Sure, she's had relationships with other people for much longer than that and she gets around quite a bit, but she's never far from my thoughts and I come back to see her every chance I get. And while I seem to be getting older by the day, she's holding up quite well. Sure, she's had some work done...a little paving here and there where I used to enjoy her youthful dirt roads...a little widening or straightening of her curvy parts for the sake of progress...but she still looks good to me. I don't think I'll ever marry her...she doesn't seem to get along with my family...but when I can find the time to get away, I usually head straight for her doorstep and we have a great time while it lasts.

Today, I'm leaving her again.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:39 AM   #295
grahamspc
Smitty

Oddometer: 179
Just discovered this thread and trying to catch up...very funny...some of the anecdotes remind me of my group of riding buddies and our ongoing banter..great storytelling btw.
grahamspc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:55 AM   #296
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

Back to the ride!

So we're zipping east on Rt 34 in the early morning...the sun is blindingly bright and warm, but there are pockets within the canyon which won't see sunlight for another couple hours...we swap back and forth between the 2 disparate climates as we charge into into the corners and push the motorcycles just a little bit harder than usual. These may be the last twisty roads we see for days so one must make the most of the opportunity to actually lean into a curve. I find myself surprised once or twice as the pavement transitions from warm, dry, and sticky to cold, wet, and slippery mid-corner.

The Big Thompson river carved out this canyon over the milenia and I find myself grateful for its efforts. There's something about a twisty road being accompanied by a twisty river that just resonates for me. Perhaps its the ludicrous notion that, should I overshoot a tight corner, the water will soften the crash. I know that's clearly not true...rocky banks...shallow river...ice cold...boulders...rapids...etc...but I enjoy riding along the river nonetheless. It gives the road an almost natural, flowing feel...it's like Feng Shui for motorcyclists.

Old 09-04-2013, 07:23 AM   #297
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

I love morning rides...the roads are clear...the air is still...there's a perfect shade of green that only exists in the early morning...long before the harshness of midday...the sun warms the landscape and your soul.

I find myself racing from sunlight to sunlight...treating each break in the canyon as a new dawn...I really should be paying more attention to the road and my speed at this point...I've completely lost track of Mike and I think I just heard his peg scraping.

Old 09-04-2013, 07:26 AM   #298
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

This sign got me thinking about just how lame my GoPro footage up to this point has been. I haven't had any close calls with wild animals, no crashes, no spectacular wheelies, no nothing. It's truly the anti-adventure ride; like Cameron Frye, we haven't seen anything good today.

Old 09-04-2013, 08:10 AM   #299
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

Immersed in sorrow over the lack of dramatic content in my film footage, I sped around the bend and came face to face with opportunity...8 opportunities in fact...

I was so excited about the possibility of getting good footage, that I may have sped up to reach them before they got away...

My mind was racing. Was the camera turned on? Oh no, one of them is making a break for it...SPEED UP! CUT THEM OFF! The remaining group broke right for the river due to my approach, but then they circled back and were coming my way in a hurry. Oh boy! I'm going to be just like Charles Martin Smith in that wolf movie from the early 80s...I'll be running with the pack!

Old 09-04-2013, 08:13 AM   #300
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

Woo Hoo! I'm running with the bighorns! This is going to make for great footage! I kinda hope I run into one and it goes viral on the web!

Keep in mind that there are actually 7 of these little buggers and 4 more are running just to my right...a fact that was completely lost on me, but not on Mike who was bracing himself for my almost certain death in the seconds to come.