User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2013, 07:30 AM   #361
Doogle OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 518
8-29-13

I do think about Sasha, Stas,and Andrea a lot. Skype attempts were only seconds long before breaking up.I will make better attempts at talking with them when I get home and have more time. They were exceptional people for me.

Here's a picture of Hatters Hostel I stayed in.

Today I rode a train from Liverpool to Holyhead, Wales-about 2 hours. The train stopped a 3 minutes walk to the Stena Lines ferry. The 31 ferry ticket takes me to Dublin in 3 hours where airfare is cheaper. Tomorrow at 1125 I fly home for 2 weeks. When the bike arrives in Norfolk, I'll go there and ride it home.

I'm glad everyone enjoyed the ride. Hope it inspires at least 1 person to try it. I told my wife I need some down time to digest what all I've seen and done. I'll probably post an overall thoughts on my trip after I've been home a few days. I think after stopping in the Netherlands and visiting with my newly acquired family, everything else was anticlimactic. Plus I was tired. I still saw things and had a good time. But it was like going to the Smithsonian Museum or 2 days. After 4-5 hours, you walk past things and barely glance at them. I knew it was time to go home. MY WIFE TOLD ME IT WAS TIME.

Doogle screwed with this post 08-31-2013 at 05:48 PM
Doogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:48 AM   #362
MrGoldfish
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doogle View Post

I'm glad everyone enjoyed the ride. Hope it inspires at least 1 person to try it.
It's probably a good thing you were getting out of that part of the world with the whole Syria thing going on right now. China and Russia aren't to happy with Americans right now.
MrGoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:17 AM   #363
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 3,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoldfish View Post
It's probably a good thing you were getting out of that part of the world with the whole Syria thing going on right now. China and Russia aren't to happy with Americans right now.
I think that's more to do with gooberment officials than the people of those countries.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:08 PM   #364
MrGoldfish
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
I think that's more to do with gooberment officials than the people of those countries.
Absolutely. But, the government is the ones that will be pulling him over if he is in those countries.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:34 PM   #365
theoenhilde
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Dear Doug,

After you left your house on 24 may we followed you daily. Special the days you stayed in Russia in Sacha's house. Indeed wonderful helpful people.
For my mother and for us incredible that we could meet one of the son's of Arlo Lear.
The monday morning you left our house I (Hilde) was in the garage looking at your motor bike and tears came down. Thanks for coming our direction. For us it was the climax of our holliday. We never forget.
We and special my mother is very happy and we all wish you a save flight home.
For Gayle we are glad her husband is coming home soon. Lots of luck together.

Kisses Hilde and Theo
mother Drina
theoenhilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 03:14 PM   #366
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 3,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoldfish View Post
Absolutely. But, the government is the ones that will be pulling him over if he is in those countries.
That's true.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:00 AM   #367
rgiroux
Invisible Man

Oddometer: 2,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoenhilde View Post
Dear Doug,

After you left your house on 24 may we followed you daily. Special the days you stayed in Russia in Sacha's house. Indeed wonderful helpful people.
For my mother and for us incredible that we could meet one of the son's of Arlo Lear.
The monday morning you left our house I (Hilde) was in the garage looking at your motor bike and tears came down. Thanks for coming our direction. For us it was the climax of our holliday. We never forget.

Kisses Hilde and Theo
mother Drina

powerful experiences

2009 Alaska , 2010 Moab
2011 Calif Dreaming , 2013 Mexico
rgiroux is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 08:00 AM   #368
motoreiter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
That's true.
No, its not.

Believe it or not, traffic police policy/behavior is not related to high-level political and/or diplomatic disputes...
Old 08-30-2013, 09:24 AM   #369
MrGoldfish
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoreiter View Post
No, its not.

Believe it or not, traffic police policy/behavior is not related to high-level political and/or diplomatic disputes...
I guess I should've said that I would be worried about it given my zero experience with the area.
Old 08-31-2013, 11:33 AM   #370
Doogle OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoenhilde View Post
Dear Doug,

Kisses Hilde and Theo
mother Drina
Gayle's husband is home.For a couple weeks anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoreiter View Post
No, its not.

I was only police stopped once on my whole trip-in Russia.They looked at my passport and drivers license and sent me on my way in 2 minutes.

Are you still in Russia? Waiting for the ski resorts to open?
Old 08-31-2013, 01:37 PM   #371
Doogle OP
Studly Adventurer

8-29-13 In Dublin

When I bought my ticket for the ferry to Dublin,I brilliantly used all my remaining Sterling money and put the remainder on my credit card. When I got to the Port in Dublin I had a problem.The port is not close to anything.I needed a ride to the hotel.Cab drivers accept Sterling money,even though the Euro is their currency.There aren't any ATM's around. One cab driver agreed to take US dollars. He was trying to take me for a ride. He took me to the wrong Travelodge even though I was telling him he was going to the wrong one.He said it was on the way to the other one. NOT

I turned my GPS on.The hotel was 4.2 mile from the dock-straight line. 7.9 miles on the road.When I turned the GPS on he eventually said he would not charge the full fare.The meter reading would have been $57.He said $35.I guess I was lucky he accepted US currency.

8-30-13

It was a 4 mile walk to the airport. I had time and didn't want to get any Euro's from an ATM for a cab.I was a little sweaty when I got there.

My flight went to Chicago.Then I switched planes before going on to Cincinnati. And there,my wife is waiting for me. I'm finally home.
Old 08-31-2013, 02:28 PM   #372
SavannahCapt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 735
Old 08-31-2013, 03:44 PM   #373
tt100
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
Welcome home. Enjoy the adjustment and the family. Jbar28 gets to Dayton in late Step... Let's shoot for the end of Sep or early Oct to meet at the Fifth St Pub. You might oughta bring a driver since I think we owe you a couple

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4
tt100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:55 PM   #374
#1Fan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 696
Bravo! ::
Everyone should be so lucky as to be able to ride a motorbike through the Himalayas.
#1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:11 PM   #375
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,741
Well done amigo First ones on me next time we meet. Great trip with some great experiences