Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2013, 08:24 PM   #211
AK Smitty OP
Self life coach

Oddometer: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy the kid View Post
Thanks for a great RR . And great pics . I have dragged quite a few ideas and destinations for my planned trip , aiming for your original destination . I have to make Cusco to meet one of my kids later this year . Cheers
Billy are you on the road yet? What's your time frame? Thanks taking a look.

I am here: https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php...f53b74b2cb510d
AK Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:31 PM   #212
AK Smitty OP
Self life coach

First Video Attempt

Here is a short vid. I have some improving to do on my clip transitions and holding that go pro a little more steady when filming from my hand. But hey, it is my first attempt and I have some great Central America footage that I am working on for the next one!

Uploading to Vimeo really compromised the quality I will try to upload again with better resolution soon.

My First Project from Joshua Smith on Vimeo.

As for me the struggle of being a working stiff continues. I think there is a statistic that a guy thinks about sex every 7 seconds. I think about quitting my job and going riding way more often than that!!!!

I am scheming my next plan. It feels like this job and I will not be part of each others lives much longer...I HOPE!

Old 08-28-2013, 11:59 PM   #213
garfey
Scruffy Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,336
Thumb

Maybe I don't know what I'm looking at but I think your 1st vid is fine.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:47 AM   #214
AK Smitty OP
Self life coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by garfey View Post
Maybe I don't know what I'm looking at but I think your 1st vid is fine.

Thanks man. Takes some time but nice to have it once its done.

Old 08-29-2013, 01:24 PM   #215
Wickedadv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by charapa View Post
Let me know when you get in Peru and maybe I can meet you. I'm an American (Maine) that runs an Moto Adventure Tour group out of Peru. I'm presently in Cuzco, but will be moving farther north soon.

Let's meet up for a few

Do you have a place to store your bike?
I love all the mainers representing worldwide! My wife and i will be down your way and look you up as well!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Wickedadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:50 PM   #216
charapa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickedadv View Post
I love all the mainers representing worldwide! My wife and i will be down your way and look you up as well!

Wicked,

I'm in Maine right now (we have a log home in Bristol, on Pemaquid Penninsula), but I leave for Peru on Sept. 3rd. How far away are you?

Toby

"Those friends thou hast... and their adoption tried... grapple them to thy soul with hoops of steel. But do not dull thy palm with entertainment of each new-hatch'd, unfledg'd comrade...." Polonius in Hamlet
charapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:03 PM   #217
Wickedadv
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Wicked,

I'm in Maine right now (we have a log home in Bristol, on Pemaquid Penninsula), but I leave for Peru on Sept. 3rd. How far away are you?

Toby
Im up in Bethel (the mountains) but headed to Castine for a few days. I will Pm you as we are planning a Peru trip for next year! Good times and glad Smitty did such an awesome writeup!

Old 08-29-2013, 08:29 PM   #218
AK Smitty OP
Self life coach

Quote:
Im up in Bethel (the mountains) but headed to Castine for a few days. I will Pm you as we are planning a Peru trip for next year! Good times and glad Smitty did such an awesome writeup!

Quote:
Wicked,

Toby
Hey guys glad to hear you scheming a plan on catching up. My Mom has a place on Pemaquid Lake. Been a bit since Ive back but my bike is on the east coast (TN) these so you never know.

Charpa hope to be taking you up on your offer this winter or next.

Sounds like winters in Peru and summers in Maine...are you hiring?

I wont let my job steal my soul much longer

The dragon 2 weeks ago. Had to keep stoping and let the cruisers get way out ahead.

http://xtremesportsphotography.photo...&po=502&pc=569

Later fellow Mainiacs!! Be sure to let me know if you decide to do an AK ride some day!

Old 08-29-2013, 08:39 PM   #219
Wickedadv
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Smitty View Post
Hey guys glad to hear you scheming a plan on catching up. My Mom has a place on Pemaquid Lake. Been a bit since Ive back but my bike is on the east coast (TN) these so you never know.

The dragon 2 weeks ago. Had to keep stoping and let the cruisers get way out ahead.

Later fellow Mainiacs!! Be sure to let me know if you decide to do an AK ride some day!
Us mainahs are a crazy bunch aren't we!? Explorers to the core!

Old 08-30-2013, 07:44 AM   #220
charapa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 399
Quote:

Smitty,

Small world! My bro-in-law lives up in Homer and is a a Port Pilot for all the big ships coming into southern AK! Haven't been yet, but I have more than one excuse now.

I often need friends to come down and help me move bikes from one place to another in Peru. Just cover your expenses and I pay for the moto and fuel!

Wicked,

I was just up in your neck of the woods as a Tech with our Saab for the New England Forest Rally!

Cheers! Toby

"Those friends thou hast... and their adoption tried... grapple them to thy soul with hoops of steel. But do not dull thy palm with entertainment of each new-hatch'd, unfledg'd comrade...." Polonius in Hamlet
charapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:13 AM   #221
AK Smitty OP
Self life coach

Quote:
Us mainahs are a crazy bunch aren't we!? Explorers to the core!

Seems to two types: The other type are mainers that refuse to leave Maine at all for any reason ever!

Quote:
Smitty,

Small world! My bro-in-law lives up in Homer and is a a Port Pilot for all the big ships coming into southern AK! Haven't been yet, but I have more than one excuse now.

I often need friends to come down and help me move bikes from one place to another in Peru. Just cover your expenses and I pay for the moto and fuel!

Wicked,

I was just up in your neck of the woods as a Tech with our Saab for the New England Forest Rally!

Cheers! Toby
Toby

People say I am living the dream sometimes. It sounds like you sir have the dream truly figured out.

My Mom is a die hard Saab owner. Not Rally just grocery getter, although in high school and college I did put a few of them to the test including crash test very unhappy mom with that one.

PM sent w questions on catching up in Peru.

Old 08-30-2013, 12:49 PM   #222
Wickedadv
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Smitty,

Wicked,

Cheers! Toby
I worked the rally and set up a few of te stages! Ive got good footage of the saab on fish pond. Very small world
Old 08-30-2013, 01:55 PM   #223
dutch2004
Dreaming the dream...zzz

Oddometer: 66
Great ride report!!

hey, Smitty! I haven't been to ADVRider for a long time. Riding life too far off for me with Esposa and Ninos (to use your line). But today I had a look over here again to continue dreaming if nothing else. I read through your report without stopping. This is what dreams are made of, man!! Thanks!
Old 08-30-2013, 03:00 PM   #224
Wickedadv
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:

Oh and Smitty, you always have a place to crash with us in Maine. We will even place tourguide. :)

Old 08-30-2013, 03:42 PM   #225
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,961
I still vividly remember the day I had packed up and was heading north from a year of living in Mexico...back to the US. I keep think fuck I don't want to leave and head back to that consumption and work obsessed pit. But alas I needed $ and it wasn't happening in Mex. I was changed forever by the trip and the things that seemed important are not. I'm working on a plan to return an I'm guessing you'll do the same.

Quote:
So a quick word on Puerto Lopez. I was very unimpressed with the town itself. It is a good jump off point to the National Park since it is only a few kilometers away. The town had no real appeal to me activity wise or ascetically.

As for Montanita....wow what a contrast! The town is constantly alive, well except for early in the morning. It is like San Juan del in Nica on on RedBull. It seems to have it all. There is a great break right in town and lots of activity on the beach. It seems to be mainly Argentineans and Chileans that vacation here. I met and talked with a lot of both and they seem to just be overly friendly caring outgoing people. Especially Argentineans! We had so much fun there 2 nights turned into 5 and once again the schedule was slipping away. The days went by fast between socializing, surfing and hanging on the beach. It was a great time. For me the center of town is a little much and on my next visit I would opt for a little more chill part of town.

We arrived on a friday which normally is overly active but due to the election there was no alcohol for 3 days. Well at bars at least. Tiendas seemed to have no problem selling beer if you put it straight into a bag.

On monday the town came alive! Prohibition was over! We were told it is like this every Fri and Sat. Would have been nice to find this place about 7-10 years ago. It is a lot for an aging guy like me.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

It is only one short street so it is not as crazy as it looks.

This little bars line the streets making fresh fruit cocktails and all cranking different music. It funny at first then not. haha I hope this movie will play. These guys are the best!

Here is the beach and one of the nicest hotels.

There is for sure a party scene but also a big surf scene and lots of people being active and healthy. People jogging and just enjoying the town. Many good restaurants and places to hang out. I liked to get a big beer at night and just sit on the curb and people watch. There is also a large hippy following here. I don't normally care for that but it seems to work here.

Our hotel from the beach

The town

Another great sunset

The last one like this I will see over the Pacific for some time.

So Pawel was feeling the schedule pressure and was off a day ahead of us. He had a friend in Southern Ecuador that he wanted to visit. Mihai and I were walking around that last day and he asked me my plan. Actually he said "what are you going to do?" This was my answer: "I don't know. I dont want to do anything. I dont want to pack, i dont want to ride, I dont want to leave, I dont want to stay."

Oh know I thought to myself its happening! My one remaining feeling was starting to activate! I usually just cruise and dont worry about feelings but the end of the trip was starting to weigh on me. Let me clarify about not wanting to stay. i didn't want to stay in the centro anymore. i could have stayed for who knows how long and surfed everyday. I also need to say for a guy that is a decision maker and a driver this feeling of truly not wanting to nothing may have been a first in my life.

I knew that once I turned that front tire north and parted ways with everyone headed south I was admitting a lot of things I didn't want to accept. I was admitting I didn't have the guts to quit my job months ago. I was admitting it was time to get serious about logistics and plane tickets. I was admitting the end was near. I actually thought can I just stay in Montanita and just remain in limbo? I wanted time to stand still here but unfortunately it doesn't even though it feels like it does. I admitted I was packing and leaving in the morning for Banos. I had to do something I didn't want to. The polar opposite to what this entire trip is and has been!

I still am totally appreciative of the opportunity I have been give to accomplish such a trip. Something this good you just dont want to end!
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote