Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2013, 01:35 PM   #211
ReadyFreddy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Tenere View Post
As promised the pictures of the Palomar Observatory and the bikers hangout.

Jeff
Hey Jeff, It MUST be a HIGH-CLASS joint that you stopped at here...look at all the Victory Cross COuntry owners that go there!!!
You MUST give me the address..!!
ReadyFreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:41 PM   #212
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Oddometer: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamspc View Post
Very good mileage out of those tires...compared to Metzlers on my GS....I may have missed a thread..are you replacing them with the same tire??..enjoy Mexico.
Hey grahamspc, great mileage for sure, had heard lots of great things about these tires and glad I did go with them, 2nd set the same only the rear is not the Dakar series because they had no stock (Dakar's are 4ply), so we will see if this rear holds up as good as the first.

Jeff
Super Tenere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:50 PM   #213
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyFreddy View Post
Wow, Jeff, that's really good!! Almost spent that in the two weeks Down East!! so you're doing great budget-wise....You should teach a class to my youngest daughter about frugality..hehehe
Thanks Anthony, it takes lots of instant meals, camping when you can, commitment and I have had so many stay overs from lots of great people that have made all this possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyFreddy View Post
Hey Jeff, It MUST be a HIGH-CLASS joint that you stopped at here...look at all the Victory Cross COuntry owners that go there!!!
You MUST give me the address..!!
Sorry Anthony you would only Rune that

Jeff
Old 08-29-2013, 07:53 PM   #214
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Day 57 58

Day 57

Luckily they added 50 km's more asphalt road before we hit the crap, and we made it about 10km past Alphonsinas where the road was completely washed out, we stood there a while considering if we should make the 5 meter drop down the side of the road but after walking down the 45% grade and scoping the rest of the crossing things did not look good, and if we did take it there would be no going back, the sloop would be good for a light motocross bike to take but us with our heavy loaded bikes would not be a good idea, at that point we were also exhausted from the hot sun the days ride plus the crappy road, so we turned back and stayed at the Hotel on the beach in Alphonsinas that night.
Had a great swim in the warm Gulf sea with the rest of the gang and then diner with looking at the incredible night sky with shooting stars, all that with a well deserved cold one of course, life is good.

Google link: http://goo.gl/maps/P20Tm

Day 58

We decided that it would be best to head back to San Felipe considering the road condition, and so on our way back we hit a rain storm and got thoroughly soaked of course, but it was a warm kind of soak. Some of the towns roads are impassable due to the high water and the Motel's courtyard has turned into a swimming pool, so for now they let us keep our bikes stored under the entrance canopy, how nice is that.

According to locals it has not been this bad since 20 years in San Felipe.

Tomorrow back to Mex1 via Ensenada and then eventually down to La Paz and the ferry to Mazatlan.

Jeff
Old 08-29-2013, 09:09 PM   #215
DRRambler
AKA Albertastrom

Oddometer: 839
Boy am I glad I checked in, my plans were to ride down the east coast of Baja, but now it looks like I have to change that.
DRRambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 01:15 AM   #216
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRRambler View Post
Boy am I glad I checked in, my plans were to ride down the east coast of Baja, but now it looks like I have to change that.
Hey DRRambler, the east cost Baja is only for the die hard motocross people for the moment, at least until they fix the road and by the looks of it that won't be any time soon.

Jeff
Old 08-31-2013, 01:23 AM   #217
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Day 59

Made the ride back to Ensenada and then down the Mex1 to San Quintin, currently staying at the beautiful Mission Santa Maria Hotel, and the price for a room with double bed is only 600 pesos or about $48. plus sharing the room with Wei only makes it $24 a piece, that's not bad because some camping's did charged more then that. Will take some pictures tomorrow because we did get in after dark.

Jeff
Old 09-01-2013, 09:19 AM   #218
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Day 60

Here are some of the pictures of the Hotel Mission Santa Maria in San Quintin.

The bikes standing safely in the hall of the mission.

This morning we have left Paul and Asli to go on there own ride, they are not going to Tierra Del Fuego so they don't have as much of a must get here by a certain time agenda then us, during the last few days we have become good friends with them and we wish them a safe journey ahead, we also hope to maybe see them down the road some time again.
Here is a link to there blog: http://theroadtoca.tumblr.com/

Wei, Paul, me, Asli.

Today we went through an area known as the rock garden and this is really cool to see all those rocks just piled on top of each other.
This is not a great picture of it but you get the idea.

Jeff
Old 09-01-2013, 11:34 PM   #219
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Day 61

Stayed at the Malarimo Hotel in Guerrero Negro last night for 580 pesos ($46) for a room with AC and headed to Loreto today were we are now at the renown Coyote Village, the price is 450 pesos per person but this includes all you can drink and a gigantic breakfast, just a simple breakfast will cost you about 100 pesos and the all you can drink thing well we won't get into that, except that 450 pesos is not a bad deal.
On our way to Loreto we stopped at Santa Rosalia out of curiosity to go and see the all steel Church designed and manufactured in France by Gustave Eiffel himself thinking this would be something spectacular of course, well you be the judge.

Inside

While at the Malarimo Hotel I started talking to Gunther originally from Germany and now San Diego who runs a Yamaha marine dealership, anyway as it turns out he used to ride and organize motocross races in the Netherlands back in the 70's and that's when I was also doing the races, we were hanging around in the same circles back then and I may have meet him but can't remember it and now meet this guy out here, what are the odds in that, just think about this for a moment out of all the hotels that he and our we could have picked and or places that we could have been, this is astronomically huge. Had a great talk with him and later on he asked Wei about his chain and what he would do if it breaks down, needless to say he did give some good advise to Wei and his chain breakdown program that was none existing before, so was this coincidence, maybe but I think not.

Jeff
Old 09-02-2013, 09:12 AM   #220
Dan Diego
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 661
Quote:

Got together with Wei, Paul and Asli just before Mexico and headed to the border...

Jeff
Enjoying your RR, Jeff. I met up with Paul/Asli and Wei in San Diego to discuss the ride.

Will add a photo of their bikes soon...for a before/after comparison!

Following along.

Dan

Triumph Rocket III Touring, KTM 990 ADV
Dan Diego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:53 PM   #221
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Diego View Post
Enjoying your RR, Jeff. I met up with Paul/Asli and Wei in San Diego to discuss the ride.

Will add a photo of their bikes soon...for a before/after comparison!

Following along.

Dan
Thanks Dan for following along and the pictures would be great for the comparison.

Jeff
Old 09-02-2013, 11:58 PM   #222
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Day 62

Here's a picture of The Coyote Village Tree house that we stayed in, this is a very cool place to go to if you have a chance. The owners Mike and Gus will treat you like family and entertain you with great stories from the past and present times, after having travelled a lot themselves they decided to build these place the way they would have liked something to be during there travelling days and so it has come to existence.

Travelled today from Loreto to La Paz and then decided to go see Hotel California in Todos Santos where we thought the Eagles recorded the original song Hotel California, well as it turns out this is a urban myth created by god knows who (most likely the owners), you can buy all the swag and commercialized items here though and all of it with Hotel California the Legend on it.

Wei had checked out earlier if there where any cheap hotel/motels around and he found Hotel Estancia Real in San Jose Del Cabo for 400 pesos, this place has AC, swimming pool and a protected area for the bikes, plus it is real nice.

Tomorrow back to La Paz and then a 18 hour trip with the Ferry to Mazatlan.

Jeff
Old 09-03-2013, 08:44 AM   #223
JoeyBones
Encouraging Entropy

Oddometer: 1,383
Quote:
Tomorrow back to La Paz and then a 18 hour trip with the Ferry to Mazatlan.
I made a similar trip last year - TJ, Ensenada, San Quintin, Loreto, La Paz, San Jose del Cabo, La Paz, then the ferry to Mazatlan and onwards. It was an amazing experience for me and I'm following your trip closely.

Enjoy the ferry ride - you, your bike and about 85 big trucks. But they serve beer!
Proud to have ridden all 50 US States. IBA #48773.
Check out my Motorcycle Courier Adventures or the Charlotte Ride Planning & 3rd Thursday Pizza-Meet

"I picked up a nice burlap thong. It makes me feel pretty." - BluRidgeRider
JoeyBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:26 AM   #224
EmilianoXR650L
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
nice trip

Hi

if you come to 200 road .....

probably i will be in your way ....
Old 09-03-2013, 09:38 PM   #225
Dan Diego
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 661
Quote:
Thanks Dan for following along and the pictures would be great for the comparison.

Jeff
Here ya go, Jeff:

Triumph Rocket III Touring, KTM 990 ADV
Dan Diego is offline   Reply With Quote