ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2013, 12:07 PM   #25066
Falcon86
I just work here.

Oddometer: 1,636
Put me down as a big fan of the Shinko 244. Great dual sport tire.

Was great offroad (air down appropriately as needed), and awesome in the twisties in WV.

For the price, can't beat it.
Falcon86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 05:54 PM   #25067
RimBenty
Bender of Rims

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
But as a consolation, I'd be happy to offer a weekend, small group, S500-like ride in October. We could camp at our place, and ride most of the roads since they are all within 25 miles of us. If one of the riders this year could keep the tracks, or roll-charts, we could all do it as a Richmond group, on our own. No fees. No registration.

Just a thought.

jeff
I be up for that, actually I was planning to do this anyway. I used to do the SH500 every year, it is a very well run event that I enjoyed but when they bumped the price to $135 last year I decided to do my own version. I was planning on Oct 19-20 but have all weekends free.

I already have GPS tracks of many of the roads in the area, which are a lot of the same roads the SH500 uses. I currently have two loops that l put together one is about 150 miles which could work for Saturday and a 70 mile loop that would be good for Sunday. I can adjust mileage for either loop if necessary.

Greg
RimBenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:56 PM   #25068
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by RimBenty View Post
I be up for that, actually I was planning to do this anyway. I used to do the SH500 every year, it is a very well run event that I enjoyed but when they bumped the price to $135 last year I decided to do my own version. I was planning on Oct 19-20 but have all weekends free.

I already have GPS tracks of many of the roads in the area, which are a lot of the same roads the SH500 uses. I currently have two loops that l put together one is about 150 miles which could work for Saturday and a 70 mile loop that would be good for Sunday. I can adjust mileage for either loop if necessary.

Greg
That sounds great.
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:04 PM   #25069
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 2,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by RimBenty View Post
I be up for that, actually I was planning to do this anyway. .....
I was planning on Oct 19-20 but have all weekends free.

Greg
Okay, I say we put the mark on the calendar now. 19-20 October. Everyone start to chime in who wants to do it. I can't do it any earlier because I have conflicts thru Columbus weekend, 12-14 Oct.

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 08:03 AM   #25070
pplassm
Brace for collision!

Oddometer: 2,543
Sounds great! Putting the date on my caLendar.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:37 AM   #25071
niceviewbehindbars
out enjoying the vu

Oddometer: 1,392
Quote:
Okay, I say we put the mark on the calendar now. 19-20 October. Everyone start to chime in who wants to do it. I can't do it any earlier because I have conflicts thru Columbus weekend, 12-14 Oct.

jeff
Been out of the loop awhile.. After my third child was born last May my bike has been mostly parked in the garage. I'm going to try to make this and bring my 7 year old son. I've heard lots of good things about Jeff's place.

"The human spirit needs places where nature has not been rearranged by the hand of man." -Unknown
niceviewbehindbars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 08:57 AM   #25072
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 2,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by niceviewbehindbars View Post
Been out of the loop awhile.. After my third child was born last May my bike has been mostly parked in the garage. I'm going to try to make this and bring my 7 year old son. I've heard lots of good things about Jeff's place.
Kids are always welcome at our Farm. We are very family friendly. But if they want to ride dirtbikes there, we insist on ATGATT. It is just the right thing to do, especially with kids.

Graham, I could have sworn you've stayed with us before? Am I wrong?

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:05 AM   #25073
niceviewbehindbars
out enjoying the vu

Oddometer: 1,392
Quote:
Kids are always welcome at our Farm. We are very family friendly. But if they want to ride dirtbikes there, we insist on ATGATT. It is just the right thing to do, especially with kids.

Graham, I could have sworn you've stayed with us before? Am I wrong?

jeff
I haven't been to the farm but I've been to your house in Petersburg before. And you know my brother Andrew(halfplate). Were the ones with the salvage yard and know your brother in-law, Joey.

We won't be bringing his dirt bike. We'll be two up on the GS. But yes, ATGATT. He went over the handbars a couple a week ago, full throttle, and slide face first in the gravel, ended up about 30 feet in front of the bike. No injuries... Just scared him and scratched his helmet all up.

"The human spirit needs places where nature has not been rearranged by the hand of man." -Unknown
niceviewbehindbars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:14 AM   #25074
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 1,058
Quote:

jeff
I think the 19-20 October will work for me. Sounds awesome! Greg, I figured you were lurking in here from time to time. I have not ridden much in that area and would love to check it out and camping in October in the mountains is a bonus. Glad you have those tracks Greg.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:38 AM   #25075
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,405
2014 COG National Rally

Just found out the 2014 COG National Rally will be in Johnson City, TN.

Old 08-30-2013, 10:59 AM   #25076
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,127
Anyone riding this weekend? I'm thinking I want to take out the DL650. Not looking for a trail/dirt ride, just pavement and maybe some well graded fire roads. Last weekend got the dirt out of my system for the moment. I managed to jam or smash at least half my fingers. I managed to get different ones in each fall.

I'm thinking of riding Sunday or Monday. Maybe we can get Rick to ride out on his new to him pirate bike.
jgiacobbe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:59 AM   #25077
DirtDoctor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 688
Quote:

jeff
Got the dates saved.
Old 08-30-2013, 01:09 PM   #25078
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
I'm thinking of riding Sunday or Monday. Maybe we can get Rick to ride out on his new to him pirate bike.
You can't keep up with that thing, it's a 1500!!!

Think I'm screwed for the weekend at Jeff's. If I recall wife's got us booked at a cabin near Massanutten with some friends that weekend.
ddlewis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 01:54 PM   #25079
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 1,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlewis View Post

Think I'm screwed for the weekend at Jeff's. If I recall wife's got us booked at a cabin near Massanutten with some friends that weekend.
Like Jeff, I am free the weekends after, but not the ones before. Maybe once everyone chimes in a later weekend works best for everyone.
Old 08-30-2013, 04:59 PM   #25080
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlewis View Post

1. I figure I can catch up in the curvw.s.
2. Weekend in a cabin with the wife, yep you're screwed. Not sure you should be unhappy about that.
jgiacobbe is online now   Reply With Quote