ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2013, 09:20 PM   #1651
seabee1
we build, we fight

Oddometer: 2,478
What in the world kind of boots were you wearing, Paul?

www.dehmotorcycle.com
Motorcycle storage with a personal touch
seabee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:26 PM   #1652
cyberdos
Easy Bonus Loop

Oddometer: 25,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBRiding View Post
How does this sound? We meet at the Chevron on Idaho Rd and the 60 at 7:00 Saturday. We can stop for some chow in Globe and then hit the Coolidge Dam on the way out. It is on the way and will add a little more dirt to the ride?

After that it is up to the mountain to see all it has to offer. I figure we can stop for Mexican food in Superior on the way back and if anyone is on a hurry they can just continue on back to town?

So far this is who is in

IBRiding
AzTinBender
Dirtbiker78
cyberdos (Maybe)

Oh Yea, MrGoldfish - How are the photos of Toroweap looking? I can't wait to see them.
Damn. I was looking at mileage and that's gonna be a hell of a long day.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:42 PM   #1653
Dirtbiker78
Getting there...

Oddometer: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by 750Volts! View Post
I have a crappy mountain bike. I think it is good enough for beginning stuff. I think our level of ability would bore the hell out of Loren. I am making good progress I only lay around at home I carry computers all day and walk at work. It's not like I am going to let the kids at work show me up.

Progress by ROWdude, on Flickr
WOW!!! That ankle has some serious colour to it
Old 08-29-2013, 09:49 PM   #1654
IBRiding
Forever Grateful

Oddometer: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdos View Post
Damn. I was looking at mileage and that's gonna be a hell of a long day.

Look at the bright side, it will be a lot cooler in the valley getting back at night.
IBRiding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:59 PM   #1655
750Volts! OP
India or bust!

Oddometer: 445
Well Don, I have done smarter things than wear Bilt street boots to go on an off road adventure. It really only hurts when I turn a certain way, my co-worker drops something on it or my dog jumps on it.
750Volts! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:02 PM   #1656
cyberdos
Easy Bonus Loop

Quote:
Originally Posted by 750Volts! View Post
Well Don, I have done smarter things than wear Bilt street boots to go on an off road adventure...
I hope not much dumber though. ouch.

Wish you were midget size boot. I have a perfectly good pair of size 8.5 SIDI's collecting dust.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:11 PM   #1657
750Volts! OP
India or bust!

Have no fear (But thanks for the offer) I have a pair of Fly motocross boots on their way. I will just carry tennis shoes with me on every ride from now on.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:50 PM   #1658
MrGoldfish
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 479
Day 1!

Toroweap!

So the day finally came when we were to head to Toroweap with some soon to be biker buddies. As most of you know, the other half of our group had started early in the morning and we were to meet them at Jacob’s Lake at the end of the day as we weren’t going to leave Phoenix until after working a half day at our J - O - B’s. The day started off fine as we were glad to be getting out of the office. The plan was for me to meet David at his house which is basically at the I-17 and Happy Valley Road and we would distribute the groceries appropriately before heading off. We weren’t sure how long it would take us to get up there and we didn’t want to be rolling in on sleeping bikers/henchman late at night, so we were hoofin’ it with the hopes we would get there before they fell asleep. Little did we know that they ride slow

We took the most direct route to Jacob’s Lake via the I-17 to the 89 up along the Vermillion Cliffs, past Lees Ferry and up on to the Kaibab Plateau. If I haven’t impressed on you yet the time we were trying to make, I think the lack of photos here will. Highlights for the ride up included, double rainbows, prancing unicorns, cooler weather, and 3 bedraggled ADV riders who couldn’t believe their eyes at how amazing we were. The last part I believe happened somewhere close to Gap, AZ. Who would’ve thunk that we would have caught and passed our new riding buddies? Anyways, from here on out we all rode together the rest of the way to Jacob’s Lake where we promptly found some beers and food before settling in for an evening of tall tales.
MrGoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:54 PM   #1659
MrGoldfish
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 2!

Day 2! Saturday!

Today was the day we were going to test our grit against an unknown that had been looming in the back of our minds for the last month or two; the dirt road to Toroweap! It started off really nice :)

Paul and I stopped and I accidentally let slip the forbidden words that could’ve jinxed us for the rest of the trip! “Man! If the road stays this nice, this ride is going to be cake!” The road god’s were good to us though and let my rookie mistake go unnoticed... well, maybe.

Carry on boys!

Robin poses for a photo or two.

Don’t be fooled by this photo. Brian’s bike makes dust like it’s a commodity. You can’t see the road when he comes flying by you.

Eventually the two, er, most well matured riders caught up with us.

Approaching the toughest part of the trail, I stopped to snap a few more photos before I had to concentrate on the road more.

The wide open spaces were awesome!

Eventually we reached the half way point and approached the edge of the canyon which was the first pucker moment. The second pucker moment was when David came running up to the edge and climbing on rocks that overhung the edge of the canyon walls. That kid is nuts!!!

Can you spot David? He found a neat spot to stand where you could see all the way down to the bottom of the canyon very well. I could hardly take the photos while I watched him leaning over the edge to get a better look.

His next stunt would be to pretend diving off the ledge into the abyss. :o

Meanwhile, the old guys sat on their bums and did weird yoga moves on the rocks.

This is about as risky as I get when getting close to the edge. Just mere feet away from a couple thousand foot drop just gives me the heebie jeebies.

Once again, David has no fear for the drop off. He just hangs his legs off the edge.

This gives you an idea for scale.

After a while of snapping pictures, we had a visitor come and see if we were dead yet.

Deep thought pose.

Layered two different images here. Tried getting a photo of David jumping over himself off the ledge.

After running around taking pictures, we headed back to the bikes to see what the others were doing and grab a bite to eat.

Lunch consisted of duck butter smothered all over bread that had corn beef which Paul informed us comes from the corn hole muscles of a cow. Mmmmmm! It was good!

After quickly gassing the ol’ 250 up, we were on our way.

After a while we noticed that Paul and Bill were nowhere to be seen. We decided to take a break and wait for them.

15 - 20 minutes later, still no Pill to be seen (Paul + Bill = Pill.... maybe? No? :) ). So we hopped back on the bikes and returned the way we came to see what happened. We quickly found them buzzing down the road in our direction. Once we turned around and caught back up to them and stopped, we found out that the dirt road god’s hadn’t forgot about the chastising that Paul had given a rookie like me for saying how good the road was and promptly threw a boulder at his rear tire and flung him into a tree/bush where he flopped over the handlebars and onto his back! Paul had injured his ankle a bit, but it wasn’t bad enough that a little Man Up Spray couldn’t fix it! Sure enough, we all hopped back on the bikes and off we went to try and beat the building thunderstorm on the horizon.

We eventually made it back to the tarmac and David and I decided to head back towards Jacob’s Lake and head south to find a few more roads to buzz around on while the old guys find their happy place at a restaurant in Fruitopia (more commonly known as Fredonia, but Paul dubbed it Fruitopia on this trip).

Our new riding buddies had started calling David and I Batman and Robin on this trip and told us that we were going to have to get new screen names on ADVrider now. I thought those names were probably already taken, well maybe not Robin :)

Here are some pics of the sunset we found.

Looking the other way we thought it was neat how the sun lit up the burnt trees and the billowing dark clouds.

As the sun dipped on the horizon, it turned the sky all kinds of colors that ended up looking like something out of a cartoon.

Eventually the sunset show ended and we found a good spot to watch the stars come out while we ate our duck butter and bread.

We managed to have some fun with the 30 second exposure on the camera as well.

It eventually started to get really cold so we headed back to the cabin to meet up with the other guys and have a few beers and see who could have the best laugh. Brain always had the best analogies. Something about something being as useful as tits on fish and something about something standing out like a fart in a perfume shop were a few that used throughout the night. Robin and I also had a competition to see who could withstand a choke hold longer before going to sleep compliments of Brian. Robin won.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:56 PM   #1660
MrGoldfish
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 3 - The trip home

Robin and I got up at 6 this morning to get a good start on the day as I had to be home for a 4 o’clock meeting at church. I remember thinking that we should’ve packed up all our junk the night before as we had to make a bunch of noise and turn on a light or two to get everything ready while Brian was trying to sleep in the same room. Sorry dude. I only got about 1 picture as we came down off the plateau and headed east for Lees Ferry as it started to pour after that and didn’t let up until we were well south of Flagstaff. The motorcycle god’s were not going to let me get off easy this trip though and left me a little nail in my tire that started a slow leak as a way to say “watch your mouth!” when talking about how easy they make the roads. So here I am before we rode through the hours of rain to get home.

Overall it was a great trip and I am very glad I was able to make it. Thank you to Paul, Brian and Bill for having me out and showing me around. Looking forward to getting out with you guys again. Until next time. Peace out!
Old 08-30-2013, 12:00 AM   #1661
MrGoldfish
Gnarly Adventurer

I hope you guys like pictures.
Old 08-30-2013, 12:06 AM   #1662
cyberdos
Easy Bonus Loop

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoldfish View Post
Like them?

Those pics and the narration were great!

Interested to know if David was able to navigate with the dualsport app.
Old 08-30-2013, 12:19 AM   #1663
Dirtbiker78
Getting there...

Oddometer: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoldfish View Post
Great RR dude. The pictures are fantastic!!!
Well done
Old 08-30-2013, 08:40 AM   #1664
750Volts! OP
India or bust!

Excellent RR Batman! Love the photos. I guess it was way worth lugging the extra weight to get those shots. I am going to take my wife up there in the jeep soon so she can take pics of the area. She is the shutterbug in our family.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:14 AM   #1665
Slowred
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 647
Those are amazing photos! Great RR
Thx for posting.
Slowred is offline   Reply With Quote