User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2013, 11:26 PM   #166
Shov3BR OP
Tinkerer

Oddometer: 282
USB Connection Reliability

USB Type A connections are pretty robust. We have never had a failure reported. The TAPP CAPP certainly adds a lot of support. It fits tightly enough that you can actually hear it pop when you separate the cable from the TAPP. However, the since the Type A plug is so robust I would not spend money on a TAPP CAPPed cable for added strength. Their application is weather protection.

The device end is a different story. We have had more issues with the USB Type B Mini than we care to see. We are on our third iteration of our USB GPS charging cable in an effort to make them more robust. So far the combination of a pull tab to help ensure that the user pulls the plug straight out of the device without twisting it, extending the rubber as far over the metal shell as the USB spec will allow and slightly harder rubber compound has done the trick.

This is of little concern to you as your application is a smartphone which is USB Type B Micro.The USB Type B Micro is considerably more robust than the USB Type B Mini. We have had no warranty returns of cables where the metal shell of the plug has become dislodged from the rubber.
We have found that using a right angle plug significantly reduces the overhung load on the device socket and the bending load on the cable plug. We don't even offer USB Type B Micro straight plugs for that reason.

This brings up an issue that I have with the Powerlet cable. The device end is a USB Type B Micro straight which is the worst possible configuration for powersports vehicle applications.
I know that you want to minimize the number of pieces in your smartphone charging circuit but give the one piece system some careful scrutiny.

The other issue I have is that you are stuck with the Type B Micro for all applications. Say you purchase a new smartphone that has the USB socket in a location where the straight plug on the cable just doesn't work. You have to replace the whole shebang, regulator and all. And with what - they don't have a RA version. Also, if the Type B Micro plug failed for some reason you are in the same position of replacing everything.

With a separate charger port, be it one like our TAPP or a cigarette lighter adapter you have complete freedom to change cables for optimum application configuration and can replace it if necessary.

'11 KTM 990 ADV Dakar, '08 KTM 690 Enduro, '09 H-D Road King, '82 H-D FXRS (Shovelhead)
Shov3BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:08 AM   #167
oz97tj
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 819
OK. You've won and convinced me. Thanks for answering all my questions. No hard feelings. I'll be placing an order directly.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:23 PM   #168
Desert Matt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Hi There

I fitted a Tapplite 12 months ago and ran all last season with no issues charging my I Phone and Scala rider.

Left the bike over winter and got it out for it's first ride to find my I phone won't recognise the power feed. Changed cables and tried another phone, no difference. Both cables tried worked off another feed in the house, so don't believe it is an issue with the cables. Also the Scala rider will still charge of the port. This one has got me baffled.

What could the issue be?
Desert Matt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 12:45 AM   #169
Shov3BR OP
Tinkerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Matt View Post
Hi There

I fitted a Tapplite 12 months ago and ran all last season with no issues charging my I Phone and Scala rider.

Left the bike over winter and got it out for it's first ride to find my I phone won't recognise the power feed. Changed cables and tried another phone, no difference. Both cables tried worked off another feed in the house, so don't believe it is an issue with the cables. Also the Scala rider will still charge of the port. This one has got me baffled.

What could the issue be?
Why don't I ever get the easy ones
This is a real mystery as there is nothing in the regulator that would degrade over time.
I'll ask the obvious: have you checked the fuse and the connections at the battery. I don't see the fuse as being as issue but the battery connections might have grown some hair over winter.
The connections in the USB port are self-cleaning wipers so that is an unlikely source of the problem.
Do you have my company email address? If not, send me a PM and I'll send it to you. It's easier to carry on longer threads.
If we come up with a solution I'll post it here.
-Shov

'11 KTM 990 ADV Dakar, '08 KTM 690 Enduro, '09 H-D Road King, '82 H-D FXRS (Shovelhead)
Old 10-31-2013, 12:49 AM   #170
Shov3BR OP
Tinkerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shov3BR View Post
Do you have my company email address? If not, send me a PM and I'll send it to you. It's easier to carry on longer threads.

-Shov
DUH! I don't have to wait for you to send me a PM. PM sent with email address.
-Shov

Old 08-31-2014, 02:05 AM   #171
Shov3BR OP
Tinkerer

Gen 3 TAPP & TAPP Lite is Here!

3BR Powersports 3rd Generation TAPP (2.1A) & TAPP Lite (1.2A) all-weather USB power ports are in stock and shipping!

These new all-weather power ports are the same configuration as the previous generations of TAPP & TAPP Lite and share the same features that are unique to 3BR Powersports USB power ports: Patented Universal Mounting bracket, Removable/replaceable Brulloy seal cap and Co-extruded ultra-rugged cable jacket for ease of routing.

But wait there's more...

The Gen 3 TAPP & TAPP Lite have the lowest quiescent power (power drain with nothing plugged in) of any all-weather power port in the industry... and by a WIDE margin.

At 0.4mA, Gen 3 TAPP & TAPP Lite have 20 times lower quiescent power than its nearest competitor.

So what does this mean to the user? You can connect DIRECT TO THE BATTERY without having to worry about it draining the battery over time when the bike is not running.

Gen 3 applies to the full TAPP & TAPP Lite family including the bike specific models. It does NOT include Panel TAPP (Gen 2).

And don't forget all 3BR Powersports all-weather power ports mate with our patented TAPP CAPP cable seal to provide all-weather protection ALL THE TIME!

Visit our website for more information and a list of dealers who stock our products.

Shov3BR screwed with this post 08-31-2014 at 02:13 AM
Old 08-31-2014, 02:10 AM   #172
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer: 2,154
Sweet!! I'll need to get one of those...
Old 09-20-2014, 05:50 AM   #173
blackcap
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 538
hi Shov, just a few questions before i go spending the last of my savings.

1. what diameter hole is required for the baryl panel mount connectors?
2. same as the first question but for the panel tapp?
3. whats the maximum thickness panel the baryl panel mount can be mounted on?
4. why would someone want the tapp lite over the tapp usb outlet? reading through the literature it seems as though the tapp does everything the tapp lite does plus a little extra. is that a fair thing to say or am have i missed something completely?

thanks,
Rob

Australia to Iceland on a DR650 http://oztoice.wordpress.com
and facebook https://www.facebook.com/oztoice
blackcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 10:47 AM   #174
poomero
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Is there a way we can get a group buy discount?
poomero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 11:20 AM   #175
Shov3BR OP
Tinkerer

Baryl and TAPP Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
hi Shov, just a few questions before i go spending the last of my savings.

1. what diameter hole is required for the baryl panel mount connectors?

[3BR] 5/8" (16mm)

2. same as the first question but for the panel tapp?

[3BR] 7/8" (22.5mm)

3. whats the maximum thickness panel the baryl panel mount can be mounted on?

[3BR] 1/4" (6.5mm) recommended. You can go 5/16" (8mm) but you would have just one thread showing.

4. why would someone want the tapp lite over the tapp usb outlet? reading through the literature it seems as though the tapp does everything the tapp lite does plus a little extra. is that a fair thing to say or am have i missed something completely?

[3BR] TAPP Lite output is 1.2A vs. TAPP 2.1A. TAPP Lite will power just about any USB device except for a tablet and the cost is $12 less than TAPP. So, unless you need the extra power output go with the TAPP Lite.
Of course we would love to sell you the higher cost TAPP but only if you need it.

thanks,
Rob
BTW - sorry for the late response. We just returned from the KTM Adventure Riders Rally in Taos, NM. Good fun, lots of good riding.
Cheers,
Shov

Old 09-23-2014, 11:37 AM   #176
Shov3BR OP
Tinkerer

3BR Group Buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by poomero View Post
Is there a way we can get a group buy discount?
We can work something out. We have a MAP agreement with our dealers so we are limited to 10% but can add free shipping.

Another option is something that we did at the KTM Rally - offer one of our patented TAPP CAPP kits ($9.95) at no cost along with a TAPP or TAPP Lite. This was very well received and takes advantage of one of the feature that makes us different from our competitors.

Shipping would need to be to one address and "group" should be 5 or more and can be a mix of TAPP and TAPP Lites.

Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Shov

Old 09-30-2014, 04:08 PM   #177
Darkside500
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
do the power port cables come with the mount? or do we need to order it separately?
Darkside500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 04:19 PM   #178
Shov3BR OP
Tinkerer

Universal Mounting Bracket Included in Kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkside500 View Post
do the power port cables come with the mount? or do we need to order it separately?
Hi Darkside,
The kit comes with our patented Universal Mounting System (UMS) bracket. The kit includes everything you need to install the powerport.

Cheers,
Shov

Old 09-30-2014, 04:38 PM   #179
2 SPOT
wannabe

Oddometer: 3,057
for what its worth your cables work great! two thumbs up!!

but as you mentioned the device end plain sucks, and its not your fault its the mini usb, its just too dang finicky. the mini connection was just not reliable and the power was constantly flickering on and off. so much so that i was so close to cracking the device open and hard wiring your cable a few times, but i just went back to batteries.
2 SPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 04:25 PM   #180
blackcap
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shov3BR View Post
BTW - sorry for the late response. We just returned from the KTM Adventure Riders Rally in Taos, NM. Good fun, lots of good riding.
Cheers,
Shov
hi Shov, no worries about the late response. i just put the order in yesterday but got the refund as im trying to have it shipped to Malaysia. i understand your concerns around having rippoffs made of your gear but this stuff is getting bolted to a DR650 and then headed to Iceland overland. any chance you could make an exception on this one?

Australia to Iceland on a DR650 http://oztoice.wordpress.com
and facebook https://www.facebook.com/oztoice
blackcap is offline   Reply With Quote