Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > EMEA
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2013, 07:59 AM   #1
Golden child OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Pissed Dysfunctional Insurance Industry.

Beware the cheap insurers on compare sites in the UK.

Hastings Direct
Yep sorry lads its another insurance story.
Watch out for this sorry bunch HASTINGS DIRECT.

I have moved to HD via moneysupermarwatsit. I am the only rider and the policy has cost me 130. I am 57 have ridden as an advanced motorcyclist for 30 odd years with no claims or accidents, I agree this may not be that relevant.

They have come back to me and tell me the Claims Underwriting Exchange hold information that I have made three fault claims in the last three years. I did not declare these as I was not the driver or involved in anyway, perhaps I'm naive.

In fact 2 fault claims were my son driving a car he is a named driver on. The third is a no fault claim where my wife was driving a car and was hit from behind and is a no fault claim.

There are no named drivers on my bike policy. They now want to charge me an additional 265 plus a 35 admin charge as I didn't make the disclosure.
I might have bitten the bullet if it was 50 but 265 is a rip off!

I have pointed out that there is no risk to them from my named drivers on cars so how has that increased my risk ?

No good they wont budge and say the underwriters make those decisions.

I am happy to hear if I am misjudging this in some way but it really feels as though this is 'put a massive loading on for the flimsiest of reasons' when they are at no additional risk. .......

I have just had a chat with someone in the insurance industry. They say that Hastings Direct and other companies who come up as the cheapest on compare sites will smash you up for changes to your policy and will trawl for every opportunity to find reason to do this. That includes using named drivers of cars to ramp up your policy. Its deceitful and designed to get you in the door and then your up for grabs. Its a dysfunctional industry, so says the UK Government, I agree.

HD will charge you 35 for anything which includes emailing your cover note, they will get away with this until some says its an unreasonable charge.

Its like shopping in a pond of sharks.
Golden child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:13 AM   #2
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,262
If you buy the cheapest of anything, it's a good idea to put a little money aside for when it goes wrong. You'll always remember the quality, long after you've forgotten the price.
Wildman is online now   Reply With Quote