Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2013, 06:15 AM   #16
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
I've seen really cheap tires with directional arrows pointing both ways. One way for front mounting and the opposite for rear. Usually you can tell by the tread patterns angleing out from the center in V-like patterns. Water dispersal and treadwear are affected. The latter by tread flex. What most people call cupping is wear associated with tread flex. Flex at the treads.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:02 AM   #17
thumpism
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
I've seen really cheap tires with directional arrows pointing both ways. One way for front mounting and the opposite for rear. Usually you can tell by the tread patterns angleing out from the center in V-like patterns. Water dispersal and treadwear are affected. The latter by tread flex. What most people call cupping is wear associated with tread flex. Flex at the treads.
Not just cheap ones. I just installed an Avon AM26 that was listed by the vendor as a rear (120\80-17) but a lot of the Pacific Coast guys use these on the front. Tire arrived with arrows for both Front Rotation and Rear Rotation.
thumpism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:26 AM   #18
victor441
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 873
The tread splice is also a factor in mounting direction aside from tread pattern....i.e. Dunlop K81's are mounted in opposite direction front and rear despite the pattern being symmetrical. Avon has a good tire reference that explains this at http://www.avonmoto.com/download/Tir...rConsumers.pdf
and here is a quote from it...

victor441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:27 AM   #19
ozmoses
Ride On

Oddometer: 3,063
I had a front mounted backwards by a bmw dealer tech once despite the fact I had drawn direction on both sides of the rim, in two places, w/ a Sharpie & the factory marks still being clear.

Svc mgr noticed me examining the wheel & asked what's up? I was trying to see if I was seeing correctly & wondering if I would simply turn the wheel around to re-install (dual-disc).

Mgr looked at the tire, shook his head, took it back to the shop for the remount. His philosophy was you just paid for a job to be done, not done improperly.

The aforementioned tech was not happy...fuck 'im.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:20 AM   #20
DrDaytona
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by old paul View Post
maroon?

moran?

I suspect that the OP was riffing on Bugs Bunny's favorite malapropism...
DrDaytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:14 AM   #21
Hughlysses
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,295
The directional arrows do seem to be hard to find on the PR's (at least the PR3's that I've run). IIRC, it's very subtle, not a huge arrow with "ROTATION" in all caps like a lot of tires.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:34 AM   #22
mrphotoman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoDrtRider View Post
Tire manufacturers spend millions of dollars designing tires and they design them to work in one direction for a reason so they put direction indicators on them to be sure they are mounted for best performance, safety and mileage.
Most riders probably couldn't tell the difference just by the handling but the makers have spent countless hours testing minor details of the performance of the tire.
Come on now, that is all a conspiracy so we will not run car tires on our bikes
mrphotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 01:08 PM   #23
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
A tire should turn only in one direction (if it's a dirt bike tire it really doesn't matter) Many people who install a rear tire on the front reverse the direction. That does not make sense. Unless your bike is really weird, both tires turn in the same direction and that is what counts. I have (sadly) a front wheel drive transportation car, and because the front tires do everything, they wear out noticeably faster than the back tires. Every once in a while I switch places with the front and back tires (on the same side of the car) to even out the wear, check the brakes, etc. The point is, front or rear, the tires turn in the same direction. Same thing on a bike. You should not mount a tire backwards, as some of them can start to come apart from rolling the wrong way because of the way the plies are designed. If you put a rear tire on the front, put it on in the same direction as you would if it were going in the back.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 01:41 PM   #24
sarhog
Ride far...

Oddometer: 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
If you put a rear tire on the front, put it on in the same direction as you would if it were going in the back.
Wrong. A tire mounted on the rear of a motorcycle gets stressed in the opposite direction vs a front tire.
The rear is stressed by acceleration, while the front tire stress is predominately from braking.
If you choose to mount a "rear tire" on the front, it should be mounted "backwards".
Old 08-31-2013, 02:18 PM   #25
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarhog View Post
Wrong. A tire mounted on the rear of a motorcycle gets stressed in the opposite direction vs a front tire.
The rear is stressed by acceleration, while the front tire stress is predominately from braking.
If you choose to mount a "rear tire" on the front, it should be mounted "backwards".
+1 I've NEVER seen that guy make any sense.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 02:54 PM   #26
WayneJ
LFC/CCCCC

Oddometer: 5,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by old paul View Post
maroon?

moran?

20% Smug Mug Credit
WayneJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 04:29 PM   #27
Weldman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,209
Be aware that a front tire mounted backwards will also make your odometer run backwards. This is not cool. If you're an honest fella, you'll re-mount it correctly.