Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2013, 11:12 AM   #46
ride4321
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,431
Take the mileage on that map and tack another grand on for good measure. You'll be site seeing and it's easy to put 100 miles on just riding around any given national park.

Don't you know there ain't no devil, it's just God when he's drunk.
Tom Waits
ride4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:58 AM   #47
mikegc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,349
Hardest Part of a USA Cross Country Trip?

RockinTheRVA, you've gotten plenty of great advice, particularly from NoVaRider. I've done CC rides many times, summer and winter. For your ride, do the back roads near Junction City/Manhattan, KS and, after that, jump on the slab to leave the rest of Kansas in your rear view mirror. I've done the back road routes north and south of I-70 and there is nothing to see. Oh, you get a few small towns and all that but, dang, it's Kansas. The front range of Colorado ain't much, either. Usually, I leave Kansas City around 5:00AM and spend that night in Denver.

For summer travel, I really recommend Sliver Eagle cooling vests: http://www.silvereagleoutfitters.com/categories/Cooling-Vests/Classic-Cooling-Vests/. They work.

Mike

Duty- Honoring a Friend
mikegc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:09 PM   #48
Noone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinTheRVA View Post
I would love some opinions on what things I might NOT like when on this journey and how one might prepare for them.Thanks!
Drink before you get thirsty, eat before you get hungry, sleep before you get tired. You will make more mileage on your first two days out and then that will drop to an average you find comfortable. Unless you have to be somewhere, don't over plan or it becomes a job not a vacation.

Plan for wet, cold, dry and hot. You don't have to take everything you own, there are laundro-mats and Wal-Marts everywhere. Have water and snacks with you.

Enjoy your ride.
Noone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:22 PM   #49
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,838
If you don't absolutely, positively HAVE to go to San Diego, don't do it. San diego is a beautiful place, but it kinda screws you time / day wise. If it were me I would haul ass to Denver on the slab (three days?) then do 200-300 miles a day for the next ten days in Colorado, New Mexico, Utah, and northern Arizona. You could easily spend weeks there, but ten days would be a good start.

Then haul as home and start planning a trip to California.

What are you going to NOT enjoy? Nothing. Every goddam minute is going to be awesome.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:40 PM   #50
Jnich77
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 573
Go from a 16 to a 17 tooth front sprocket. Best 35.00 you can spend. Takes care of some of the "buzz" the 919 is famous for.
Jnich77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 04:49 PM   #51
ibafran
villagidiot

Oddometer: 1,239
pretty good advice all around. I crunched the original numbers, miles divided by hours and got a 52mph average. That's pretty fast for back roads keeping in mind that you have no special knowlege of an area and that all 'blind' turns will be blind. That kind of speed precludes having conversations with interesting people that you meet along the way. What happens when you want to take the 2-3 hour park/museum/trail walk/tour? Nothing the matter with taking a 'riding' tour and foregoing lots of scenic stuff as long as you are comfy with the decision.

I a cuppla weeks, I will be going to CO from IL. I will do big miles with no stops to get there and back. But while in CO, I will do maybe only 150 miles per day and see&do all the stuff possible. Every state has lots of stuff. A Gazeteer for just about any small area will have so much stuff that you can fill 2 weeks and see maybe 3 counties.

There will be a lot of things that you will hate on such a trip. And, of course, a whole bunch of stuff that will be great. I would try to have as many options as possible. Perhaps the biggest would be 'cut-out' places where if you get behind schedule, then you can get on the slab for a while and get back on schedule even though you have to miss a few places.

Just two of my pet peeves for any trip: Never taking enough pix. And not keeping some sort of ride notes/journel. And each day that slips by without me noting it in some way saps my fun factor.

Have a good trip and let us know how it went. That's all you can do. Take the time to pause as you can and let your soul catch up to your body. Carry some easily reached hard candy (mindful of varmint country) just to have something to share with people whom you meet. Recently, I was in a small town that was jacked up traffic wise with a parade. At a long wait with another biker in the same chance, it was really good to be able to share some candy and conversation.

Your note says that you are moteling it. Pack your swim suit and take advantage of the hot tub by the pool. Some rural motels offer discounts at the local diners and a coupon for a free drink in the local bar. Ask for that stuff. Most motel clerks know the best thing about their little town and what to do for the one nite that you will be there. If you have never been to a town meeting in a very small town, go to one. Same thing for a H.S. sporting event in a really small town.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:58 PM   #52
Sox Fan
SoxFan

Oddometer: 852
This thread makes me want to take a whole summer off and ride all over the country.
Sox Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:49 AM   #53
Mat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 288
Never be afraid to skip a part and use the highway if it means you have more time somewhere you enjoy! You can always come back to see missed parts, but if you try to see everything you end up not having really seen anything. Try to somewhat control the urge to always move on.

That said, I once spent 4.5 weeks only on the Colorado Pleateau (mostly Utah, in a car and only camping), and it wasn't nearly enough time. It is probably the most beautiful area I know, and I have seen a few places in the world. Might be worth a thought, but be careful and think of the paragraph above :)
Old 08-29-2013, 05:32 AM   #54
Okie Preacher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 746
Start early, quit early. When traveling my goal is always 300 miles before noon. With that under your belt, the rest of the day becomes relaxed and flexible.

Others have mentioned good earplugs and I can't agree more. Killing the wind howl in your helmet will markedly reduce your fatigue.

A 3G Kindle or IPad is a great travel aid as it will find you the best place for breakfast and interesting side trips and stuff to see!
Okie Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:41 AM   #55
Chisenhallw
Kilted Terror

Oddometer: 3,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox Fan View Post
This thread makes me want to take a whole summer off and ride all over the country.
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:59 AM   #56
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,467
I've modified your route slightly in my area... namely across Mississippi.

It's really flat. There's not a lot to see or do. I've extended your route north to catch the Natchez Trace Parkway and follow it as far as Tupelo, birthplace of Elvis Presley. The Natchez Trace can be a bit boring. It's got a slow speed limit and it's not particularly curvy, but there are lots of historical places to stop and see.

http://goo.gl/maps/pE8LB

If I were to go crazy on your route, I'd move it north of I-40 in Arkansas. There are some really great roads in the northwest quadrant of the state. Your route has you in the southern part of the state which is rather flat. Lots of agriculture.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:48 AM   #57
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,323
"average distance per day 368 miles"

On a trip like this, I would plan a two or three 800 - 1000 mile days offset by a few 0 miles days.

Slab it through densly populated areas. Slab it across some of The Plains. Take more time in The Rockies and in The Sierras.

Heat will be an issue in the summertime in The Plains and in Arizona/SoCal desert areas. Ride at night or during the morning there, if the temps are triple digits. It will be humid in The Southeast.

Out West, even on 2-lane roads, you can make really good time. Traffic is light and speed limits are higher than they are East of The Mississippi.

You're missing some of the best riding in the country if you skip The Arkansas Ozarks. (Northwest Quadrant of The State). There ain't much to See in Pine Bluff.

Google Map Link El Paso to Memphis via Talimena Drive and Arkansas' Ozarks.
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”

rocker59 screwed with this post 08-29-2013 at 09:05 AM
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:52 AM   #58
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Oddometer: 1,438
A couple of years ago I did a trip out to your neck of the woods from Texas. Covered about 4000 miles in ten days. Three of those days had no riding.

Here's what I would offer (some of which has been mentioned):

• Comfortable seat. If Seat Concepts make a foam/cover kit for your ride, get it.
  • Bicycle shorts. If your underwear has a seam between you and the seat it will become a torture device on about day three.
  • All weather gear. Be prepared to ride comfortably in bad weather. My return trip was through the trailing edge of the storm that devastated the South with tornadoes around Easter of 2011. I rode in rain for three days straight and was comfortable because I had boots, gloves, and a rain suit that kept me warm and dry.
  • Bluetooth Intercom. I like the SENA brand. Can sync to GPS and/or phone to play music, audio books, and to hear the turn by turn if your GPS supports it. This really helps on the long hauls.
  • Rest Days. Plan to take a full day off a couple of times during the trip. Choose an interesting destination, or stop to visit a friend for a day.
  • Hydration and Nutrition have been mentioned. Very important to eat light and drink heavily. Water, supplemented with some electrolyte drink. Too much Gatorade or other will create problems. Water is always your friend.
  • Plan Fuel Stops. Once you get further West you need to plan your day accordingly as your range may not allow you to pass that station in favor of the next one.
Have a great trip!

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:56 PM   #59
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoTex View Post
Plan Fuel Stops. Once you get further West you need to plan your day accordingly as your range may not allow you to pass that station in favor of the next one.
Good advice right there.
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:00 AM   #60
dirty_sanchez
Dirty_Sanchez

Oddometer: 2,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post
"

You're missing some of the best riding in the country if you skip The Arkansas Ozarks. (Northwest Quadrant of The State). There ain't much to See in Pine Bluff.
I agree, can't believe the OP isn't passing through AR on the northern half of the state or down for a cheeseburger and sliver of buttermilk pie in Oark

Such is life, and such is Mango.

Dirty