Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2013, 01:00 PM   #1
Carmen OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
2 Week Trip Through France - Route Critique Appreciated

Hi all,

I really enjoy reading all of the trip plans and reports on this site. I am always impressed by the contributions and suggestions by experienced travelers, therefore I'm asking for any advice or suggestions on a route I've planned for my wife and I to ride 2 up the first 2 weeks of September.

Starting and ending in Heidelberg we plan to stay in the following towns:

Kaysersberg - 1 night
Goumois - 1 night
Talloires - 2 nights (will day trip to Chamonix to ride the Aiguille du Midi lift)
Crots (near Embrun) - 2 nights
Vence (via Monaco...gotta ride the F1 circuit) - 1 night
Vaison-la-Romaine (via Gorges du Verdun)- 1 night
La Malene (via Pont du Gard Aquaduct and Milieu Viaduct to the Georges du Taran) - 1 night
Gleize - 1 night
Beaune - 1 night
Colmar - 1 night

Not sure how tight it will be between Talloires and Embrun. Also concerned about Vaison-la-Romaine to the Gorges du Verdun and making the stops at the aquaduct and viaduct. Was going to go through Arles as well but I think that's too much.

Hopefully the weather will be decent but I'm not sure about how cold it might be in the upper elevations this time of year.

I bought a R1200GS last year that was kept at Stefan Knopf's and we are going to try to do 1 or 2 trips a year for the next several years. We have done a couple of Beach's trips (Classic Alps and central Italy) and got hooked but we are looking forward to touring on our own. Here's the route I've got planned for this trip.

Thanks in advance.

Moderator: I mistakenly posted this in the Europe Regional Forum the first time.

'12 Multistrada,'05 749R, '05 R1200GS, '09 Vespa 250 GTS
Carmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:45 AM   #2
Ken Fritz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,005
where you staying?

Camping or hotel? Monaco is quite expensive for an overnight.
Ken Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:58 PM   #3
Carmen OP
Adventurer

We are hoteling. My wife's not a camper and it would be difficult to carry the gear. I'm just riding through Monaco to see it and continuing to Vence which costs less and maybe away from the crowds.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:28 AM   #4
RTLover
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,396
Just back to my home base and I checked your route. The map was not detailed enough for me to see the exact track, but for the most part it looks good. Just a suggestion: when you get to Pontarlier, turn east and take the D437 that goes along the Lac de St. Point; when you get to St. Laurent-en-Grandvaux, turn east to Les Rousses then to Gex via the Col de la Faucille, then head to Annecy. IMO, to Bourg-en-Bresse is flat and straight, which we don't want to do in the Alps.

If you have a Google map or similar that you could post that gives more detail, I'd be happy to take a look. I think you'll be okay with the weather. If you're lucky, you'll have sunshine and then the temps will be good, even at altitude. That said, we've had a lousy summer this year. Just play it by ear.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:11 PM   #5
Carmen OP
Adventurer

Thanks RTLover...that's the kind of tip(s) I'm looking for.I was trying to skirt around areas that appear might be congested but I'll adjust my route per your suggestion.

I did this in BaseCamp and I'm still trying to figure out how to copy over to Google Maps to share more detail. I found GPS Visualizer and was successful converting the first few days of riding but I'm still working on how to place that file in my Google Maps that can be shared with a link. I'm still a relative novice at using a GPS and BaseCamp to this extent but I'm slowly figuring it out.

Thanks again,

Old 08-29-2013, 05:08 AM   #6
Roeligan
Belgium power!!!

Oddometer: 503
To ride down to the Med sea, from near Geneve, check for the Route des Grande Alpes.
It takes (if I'm correct) the 17 highest cols in the French Alps (http://grande-traversee-alpes.com/en...p-of-the-route).
Did it in 2006 when I went to Corsica :).
Roeligan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 07:14 AM   #7
Carmen OP
Adventurer

About 75% of my route through the Alps is on the Route des Grande Alpes. There have been a good deal of recommendations to ride it so why not. I assume if the weather is bad I can drop down to a valley road. I would rather play it by ear as far as travel days but due to the amount of ground we want to cover and hotels apparently still a bit busy I booked rooms ahead of time. I assume allowing 50 kph average in the Alps should be reasonable.