Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2013, 04:09 PM   #31
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Oddometer: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saralou View Post
We ship from Panama City to Bogota end of September and then we head south. Maybe we will see you on the way back up from Ushuaia in February?

Sara
That would be about the right time for me. Hope to be in Ushuaia mid February

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
DRRambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 12:39 AM   #32
Super Tenere
Voyager

Oddometer: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRRambler View Post
I plan on crossing into Mex at Tecate probably Sept 2, would love to meet up. I'm looking for someone to share the cost of a cabin on the ferry to Maz.

Currently riding with Wei (NomadicOne) and am about a week ahead of you, maybe we will chill out in La Paz for a while and then meet, or some other place down the road. Will keep an eye on your post, and until then ride save.

Jeff
Super Tenere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 06:02 PM   #33
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Mini update

Hey everyone! I'm in a hotel in San Vincente Baja California! It's been a great couple of days but the internet is poor. I'll wait for a good connection before I post a full update. Just wanted you all to know everything is perfect!! Thanks for following along.

Edit: I managed to find a spot in the room that allows me to upload photos!

DRRambler screwed with this post 08-31-2013 at 07:24 PM
Old 08-31-2013, 06:04 PM   #34
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Tenere View Post
Currently riding with Wei (NomadicOne) and am about a week ahead of you, maybe we will chill out in La Paz for a while and then meet, or some other place down the road. Will keep an eye on your post, and until then ride save.

Jeff
I'm in San Vincente now. I'm going to take my time getting to La Paz. I have a spot to stay in Loreto so will likely have a rest there for a few days while waiting for the Sunday ferry.
Old 08-31-2013, 07:03 PM   #35
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Day 7 It's all about the Pie

Day 7 Lone Pine to Julian California 507km 9 hours
I awakened at about 5:30 this morning as my roommates began stirring. They all needed to catch a bus that leaves at 6:00 am from the local McDonalds. My plan was to get an early start so I could beat the heat of the upcoming Mojave Desert ride. At 6:30 I was on the move in the already hot 25 degrees. Most of the day was long straight stretches of desert.

Aside from a few photos while riding, today was a photography light one. I made an audible around lunch time and decided to push past Big Bear and try to get to Julian. As I neared Julian the roads started getting twisty and climbing.

For my brother Grant!

Some cloud cover and short rain showers cooled the temperature for my last few hours ridingIím glad I did. Tonight should be a good sleep in the Julian Lodge B&B, a bit of a splurge but I need a good rest.
Years ago I came here with my family and had a great piece of pie. My first order of business was to find the pie shop.

Tomorrow Iíll enter Mexico.
Old 08-31-2013, 07:27 PM   #36
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Day 8 Fumbling into Mexico

Day 8 Julian to San Vincente Baja California 341km 7 hours
What a fantastic day!

I have to admit a certain apprehension about what was coming. It was to be my first border crossing into Mexico and despite all my research I felt like I didnít know what to do. I dwelled on it too much and slept in a bit perhaps trying to delay the inevitable.
I got started at about 8:30 after having a little breakfast at the hotel. The temp was perfect for riding on the twisty mountain road. There was about 90 minutes of riding ahead of me to think some more about Tourist Visas and Temporary Vehicle Import Permits. I missed a turn on the freeway and did a u-turn across the median (thank you DR650). Finally I caught a glimpse of the border, a long tall fence across the hillside.

Arriving in Tecate

Upon reaching Tecate I searched for a money exchange and an insurance provider. I found both without too much trouble and exchanged $300 US into 3660 pesos. I knew I was paying a commission but I wanted to have pesos upon entering the country. I purchased motorcycle liability insurance for $114 USD and headed for the border.

It was very unofficial, just a green light a gate that rose in front of me and there I was, in Mexico!

I figured it would be a good idea to get my Temporary vehicle import and my Tourist Visa right away but I could not locate anywhere obvious to do this. I circled in the horrible heat and had no luck. I briefly stopped in at a McDonalds to get out of the heat and use their WiFi but I still had no luck. I know that the TVIP can be obtained in La Paz but the tourist visa is a must for travelling further south than Ensenada. I thought I remembered that this could be done in Ensenada but was unsure and nervous about riding 140km without proper paperwork. Off I went headed southwest on hwy 3 to Ensenada.

Every time I saw a sign about a checkpoint I prepared myself to be turned around but there were no checkpoints at all.

Ensenada

While riding through Ensenada I found the Migracion office at the cruise ship port and purchased my Tourist Visa for 285 pesos. I was advised that the TVIP for the bike must be purchased at the border or in La Paz at the ferry terminal. I noticed that the migration office closed only 20 minutes after I left. That was close!

So here I sit 83km south of Ensenada. Iím in San Vincente at a little hotel on the side of the road. My bike fit inside the room after a little surgery. Iím fed and ready for a good nights sleep.

Dinner at the Taqueria across the street

Tomorrow, continue south into Baja Sur
Old 08-31-2013, 07:53 PM   #37
Cal
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 747
I'm really enjoying your report but I have to ask did you put your bike inside the hotel rooms in the U.S.? Somebody else has to use that room after you and if you ask they usually have parking in the lobby or a secure area, just ask.
Saludos de Alberta
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:03 PM   #38
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
I'm really enjoying your report but I have to ask did you put your bike inside the hotel rooms in the U.S.? Somebody else has to use that room after you and if you ask they usually have parking in the lobby or a secure area, just ask.
Saludos de Alberta
This hotel has no courtyard or indoor lobby. The manager offered to let me bring it in so I did. My goal will be to find hotels that do have a secure area as it's a hassle bringing it into the room. I understand your concern and appreciate what your saying. I'm trying to be respectful, there is no leaks or crud getting on the floor and I used a 2x4 under the stand to avoid marking the tile.

Thanks for following along!

Here is the hotel
350 pesos no a/c but sat TV and clean

DRRambler screwed with this post 08-31-2013 at 09:09 PM
Old 08-31-2013, 10:20 PM   #39
V@lentino
Inspektor

Oddometer: 815
See you on the road

Great start DRRambler, we leave from Victoria BC for Argentina on the 21st.

Be safe and enjoy

The motorcycle chronicles of Jackie & Valentino
The Southern Episode
V@lentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 06:05 AM   #40
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_elite View Post
Great start DRRambler, we leave from Victoria BC for Argentina on the 21st.

Be safe and enjoy
Thanks, we're moving to Van Ilse when I get back from the trip. Looking forward to it.
Old 09-01-2013, 11:18 PM   #41
kalahari-k
Kalahari-K

Oddometer: 173
Bike in room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
Saludos de Alberta
I'm enjoying the report too, but found this question odd. It happily ignores context. It's so important, when making your way down a very long continent by bike, to hold on to that bike. Putting your bike in a hotel room in Mexico, but not in the US, wouldn't suggest to me a different respect for Mexican and US hotel rooms. It suggests a rational concern by a visitor to a country with a much lower per capita income, and pervasive official corruption, that the bike might be less secure unprotected than in the US. Do we know the chances of a mint DR 650 being stolen in Mexico and the US? We do know the difference in consequences. A friend of mine lost an insured bike in Mexico and took 2 years to collect on his insurance after hours of work and expensive lawyer's fees. Would you be as concerned about collecting your payment in the US? In the US a stolen bike would interrupt a trip. In Mexico it would end it for most people.

You do what's necessary to keep it together and moving on the road. Most people reading this report inferred that the bike was put in the room clean and carefully, I'd bet ya. I wouldn't mind sleeping there the next night knowing that it gave security and peace of mind to a fellow biker on a long trip passing through Mexico.
kalahari-k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 12:37 PM   #42
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalahari-k View Post
I'm enjoying the report too, but found this question odd. It happily ignores context. It's so important, when making your way down a very long continent by bike, to hold on to that bike. Putting your bike in a hotel room in Mexico, but not in the US, wouldn't suggest to me a different respect for Mexican and US hotel rooms. It suggests a rational concern by a visitor to a country with a much lower per capita income, and pervasive official corruption, that the bike might be less secure unprotected than in the US. Do we know the chances of a mint DR 650 being stolen in Mexico and the US? We do know the difference in consequences. A friend of mine lost an insured bike in Mexico and took 2 years to collect on his insurance after hours of work and expensive lawyer's fees. Would you be as concerned about collecting your payment in the US? In the US a stolen bike would interrupt a trip. In Mexico it would end it for most people.

You do what's necessary to keep it together and moving on the road. Most people reading this report inferred that the bike was put in the room clean and carefully, I'd bet ya. I wouldn't mind sleeping there the next night knowing that it gave security and peace of mind to a fellow biker on a long trip passing through Mexico.
She makes a good roomy, no farting.

sent from tapatalk
Old 09-02-2013, 08:14 PM   #43
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

In Santa Rosalia. Once again poor internet but at least I can check email and make a text only post. I'm headed to Loreto tomorrow where I'll R&R for two nights. Then to La Paz and Cabo. Day 9, 10, 11 updates will be coming.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:05 PM   #44
BlindDog
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Good to see the first Ushuaia trip of the season. I hope to make that trip someday, and I'm looking forward to following your adventures. Stay safe and have fun.
BlindDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:19 AM   #45
Johnnydarock
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 239
Looking forward to reading your ride report. 6 months may not be enough to get all the way to the bottom. Good Luck and ride safe.
Johnnydarock is online now   Reply With Quote