ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 140 votes, 4.81 average. Display Modes
Old 08-31-2013, 09:16 AM   #9361
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
So, you couldn't find another single unit that met ALL of your requirements?
Like mentioned, I really couldn't tell whether the zumo or av unit were going to meet all my needs. There just isn't enough info available and as mentioned I did talk to other users and dealers but just couldn't tell. I was prepared to get two units though. One primarily for navigating and routing and the other for logging and data display.

Quote:
P.S, did you look outside of Garmin?
Yes (Lowrance, Magellan, Tom tom, etc.), but Garmin has become almost like Microsoft circa 2000 when it comes to these types of units... That doesn't enamor me to them either. I think they get away with crap because they have a near monopoly on these units. I'm not saying the crap is deliberate, just that there's not market competition incentive to address it.

The advertised features and answers to my questions here an other forums left me with the impression that the floptana would address my requirements. I've aired my gripes with features and I believe that almost everyone in this thread would find them useful and even an effort do address all of them would be a small software effort. I don't expect them to be addressed though. Why should they bother? My long Garmin experience is that they are very poor listeners when it comes to their market's desires for these products.

I really wish they had buttons too. This is my first touch-only and I've concluded touch-only sucks. I thank apple for convincing the market you only need touch.

I also had no idea it was still as buggy as it is. I've been an early adopter on other units and while they had problems out of the gate, they all seemed much better after being out for six months than the floptana after two and half years. Admittedly, the floptana has somewhat more complex software than those from a decade or more ago, but to me it seems only incrementally so... The bugs where the unit has to be turned off and turned on again (acquiring satellites, track logs disappearing, etc.) should be much better addressed by now IMO, especially with a unit that takes so long to power up. But again, they don't really need to do it.

Frankly, one of the reasons I had not purchased a unit in the last decade was not only because the x76/x96's along with a 60/76 series did a very good job of meeting my requirements but because Garmin had seemed to lose their way with the units being released. Think the 640 (yuck). Another unit that should have been much better than it is. A Garmin CS employee was actually the one that told me I probably wouldn't be happy with it! I spent a little time with one and they were very correct.

I could have kept chugging along with a pair from my collection when I drank the floptana kool-aid and invested my resources in it. It really could/should be a unit I could be happy with. Aside from lack of buttons, there's nothing in the hardware preventing it and I can live with touch-only if that was the biggest problem.
SteveAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:18 AM   #9362
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by konfucius View Post
How do easily reset the Track Distance?
Just save and clear the track log (at least in later firmware).

One caveat with the track log odometer is that it will give longer distances, sometime much longer, if it gets a bad point in the log. The trip and total odometers seem to do a good job of filtering those out.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:40 AM   #9363
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAZ View Post
Just save and clear the track log (at least in later firmware).

One caveat with the track log odometer is that it will give longer distances, sometime much longer, if it gets a bad point in the log. The trip and total odometers seem to do a good job of filtering those out.
SteveAZ makes a good point. I use to use the GPS on roll-chart rides but found the milage to be only "close". When you really want to know what you actually traveled, an ICO is your best bet.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:04 AM   #9364
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRon View Post
I may do a ride which requires a roll chart, and I'll need a resettable odometer for that.
Typically, on roll chart rides you not only need to be able to reset (zero) the odometer, you also may want to adjust the mileage up or down slightly as your odometer mileage drifts off the roll chart mileage. The tool of choice for that is a fully adjustable odometer with handlebar thumb buttons, such as the ICO or RNS TripMaster:
http://www.rallymanagementservices.c...ions/universal

Can you make slight up/down adjustments to the Montana trip meter? If not, and you miss a turn and have to turn back, adding mileage to your GPS reading, how do you get the GPS mileage back in sync with the roll chart mileage?
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:47 AM   #9365
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Yes (Lowrance, Magellan, Tom tom, etc.), but Garmin has become almost like Microsoft circa 2000 when it comes to these types of units... That doesn't enamor me to them either. I think they get away with crap because they have a near monopoly on these units. I'm not saying the crap is deliberate, just that there's not market competition incentive to address it.
If there was market incentive there would be competition for our requirements. A lack of competition would indicate to me that the market that comprises our requirements is very small compared to other GPS market segments. So, why do you think Garmin should address our needs? They're a public company and have a financial responsibility to their stock holders to make a profit. Should they waist money addressing an incrementally small subset of their market? Seems to me that any company that would address my (our) needs is doing so because they think it is worthwhile and those feature/functions are of value to the broader customer set. Maybe, just maybe, they have enough budget to address my requirements because they think the additional customer appeal will be worth it in the long run.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 08-31-2013, 01:40 PM   #9366
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Sort of like Microsoft circa 2000?
Old 08-31-2013, 02:27 PM   #9367
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Sort of like Microsoft circa 2000?
Not even close. MS employed illegal monopolistic practices and predatory acquisitions to maintain it's "dominance" over competitors. Not sure where you're coming from on this one. Seems way out in left field.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 08-31-2013, 05:01 PM   #9368
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Perhaps it could be argued, based on market share, which may be quite similar to MS in the day, that they have a monopoly on the market. I dunno, I haven't tried to pull the numbers... And as you have pointed out in past discussions we'd have to define the markets....

Considering the lack of alternative competitors it sort of feels monopolistic..
Old 08-31-2013, 05:44 PM   #9369
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Considering the lack of alternative competitors it sort of feels monopolistic..
There are alternative products at a fair price.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 08-31-2013, 07:12 PM   #9370
doug913
n00b

Oddometer: 4
So of the subject since its gps related(g) I relies I'm using a 62s and not the Montana but I think they are both using the same base programming. So I figured I'd post my new experience with the newest firmware.

Not sure if any of you Montana users have experienced this. I've been keeping up on the Montana since it will be my next gps.

I have always had an issue with my gps62s locking up if it was routed to a location. If it had to recalculate while only on the turn by turn page it would lock up. It seems finally that garmin sort of fixed this with release vs 5. However it seems more of a work around fix then a true fix. Before it recalculates the route it changes screen to the setup menu page then recalculates and leave the GPS on this page. In the end I'm glad this has finally been addressed. It seemed forever I was trying to find exactly when and how and what would cause the lockup and no matter how many times I emailed and called garmin they would say its me or something I had loaded.

Oh well, it's sort of fixed. Now if they get it to go back to either the map page or the turn by turn page.

My 2cents worth.
Doug
doug913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:55 PM   #9371
THRASHED
Moving on Up

Oddometer: 224
Never Mind..LOL

THRASHED screwed with this post 08-31-2013 at 08:18 PM
THRASHED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 04:00 AM   #9372
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug913 View Post
So of the subject since its gps related(g) I relies I'm using a 62s and not the Montana but I think they are both using the same base programming. So I figured I'd post my new experience with the newest firmware.

Not sure if any of you Montana users have experienced this. I've been keeping up on the Montana since it will be my next gps.

I have always had an issue with my gps62s locking up if it was routed to a location. If it had to recalculate while only on the turn by turn page it would lock up. It seems finally that garmin sort of fixed this with release vs 5. However it seems more of a work around fix then a true fix. Before it recalculates the route it changes screen to the setup menu page then recalculates and leave the GPS on this page. In the end I'm glad this has finally been addressed. It seemed forever I was trying to find exactly when and how and what would cause the lockup and no matter how many times I emailed and called garmin they would say its me or something I had loaded.

Oh well, it's sort of fixed. Now if they get it to go back to either the map page or the turn by turn page.

My 2cents worth.
Doug
There is a thread for the 62/78; your post would be better off there since other 62/78 users will see it and comment.

Some of us have both types of gps receivers but not very many. I have the 78S.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:26 AM   #9373
THRASHED
Moving on Up

Oddometer: 224
Quote:
Most of the FS road data is quite old in the US 24K Topo map sets. If you have your Map Detail set to Highest what you see is what you get. CNNA will most likely have newer data. If you don't have CNNA 2014.20 take a screenshot of your map area in BaseCamp and I can check the current detail for you if you give me a Lat/Lon.
Cool. Thanks for that. For some reason I thought for the money Garmin charges for their maps that they would be the latest and greatest. The interesting thing is that almost all of the N roads up here are quite old as well. They should have been updated a long time ago.

Anyway, I managed to create my first route using 24K roads though some of them had no names. I've ridden most of these roads so when I head out today I'll set up my unit for Highest detail and see what happens.
THRASHED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:29 AM   #9374
Timmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,268
I'm back from the first leg of my travels (1515 miles) and the Montana with 5.3 passed muster for me. No lockups, spurious trackpoints, it handled my routes just fine, and the trip meter was spot on with my 60CSx. I'll try it again on another long ride over the next few days.
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100
Timmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 02:58 PM   #9375
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer View Post
I'm back from the first leg of my travels (1515 miles) and the Montana with 5.3 passed muster for me. No lockups, spurious trackpoints, it handled my routes just fine, and the trip meter was spot on with my 60CSx. I'll try it again on another long ride over the next few days.
What was your map speed set to, if you don't mind my asking.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote