ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 192 votes, 4.86 average. Display Modes
Old 08-30-2013, 10:56 AM   #9346
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Garmin originally did not support putting some of the user data on the SD Card. It was only through feedback from folks like us that they made the change.

As SteveAZ and others will point out the "best" practice is what every works for you. The internal storage provides plenty of space for saving your Track Log and Waypoints, Routes or Tracks you may want to recall while you are out on the road/trail. I simply suggest putting data YOU transfer to the unit on the µSD Card because of the potential to install BAD data. If you follow this practice you can avoid non-recoverable issues once you are out on the road.
Interesting.....thanks to both you & S-AZ for a quick & detailed reply. In a nutshell, anything incoming from "outside" the Montana goes goes to itty-bitty SD card. While everything generated within the Montana, is good to keep on its internal memory. Seems straightforward enough.

Guess I need to reverse some actions and do over. I sync'd my old 60csx data to Basecamp, then transferred all that data to Montana internal. Assuming I can delete that data from the Unit and move over to the card along with my Maps.

HF
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:12 AM   #9347
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive View Post
Assuming I can delete that data from the Unit and move over to the card along with my Maps.

HF
I don't think you need to delete anything, just cut and paste all routes, tracks, waypoints, maps to the card with Explorer, mirroring the directory structure of the Montana. Leave the Basemap on the unit. (gmapbmap.img and gmapbmap.sum)
Old 08-30-2013, 11:18 AM   #9348
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive View Post
Interesting.....thanks to both you & S-AZ for a quick & detailed reply. In a nutshell, anything incoming from "outside" the Montana goes goes to itty-bitty SD card. While everything generated within the Montana, is good to keep on its internal memory. Seems straightforward enough.

Guess I need to reverse some actions and do over. I sync'd my old 60csx data to Basecamp, then transferred all that data to Montana internal. Assuming I can delete that data from the Unit and move over to the card along with my Maps.

HF
I wouldn't worry about it. I think there's a case to be made for keeping the "little stuff" that you always want accessible (like waypoints) in the internal and it takes up very little space and as long as you can access the internal memory, easy to hideaway should it cause you grief which is arguable less likely than the big stuff (map .img's, BirdsEye). And back up the unit's internal memory - this has saved people in the past and not doing it has burned others!

Personally I keep my waypoints in the internal, the tracks pile up there as I go. I don't have much as far as routes, I pretty much only very infrequently create those ahead of time when doing a specific adventure, I tend to do 99% of routing on-the-fly these days. When I create data for an upcoming trip (usually just waypoints, and those ever so occasional tracks or routes for me, but others often create large and multiple routes and tracks) I put those on the SD until I decide I want to "commit" them to longer term use and then they go into the internal. Map .img's and BirdsEye are now pretty much exclusively on the SD. So far any files I've had that puked the unit were those types but YMMV.

But like DRTBYK says, play around and find what works best for you. One thing really nice about these newer generation units is the high degree of personalization and flexibility they bring.
SteveAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:33 AM   #9349
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
So, I guess you've learned a very valuable lesson: when you go to purchase your next GPS make a list of those "very important to you" features and if the unit doesn't have them move on.

By the way, have you looked? Is there another unit that checks off all of those "must haves"?
I learned that lesson decades ago. The problems are anticipating how a feature might get broken or limited in newer units (it just simply wouldn't have even crossed my mind about not being able to do finds from the map page, etc.) and then of course, how on earth can we find out the details of the features when they aren't documented!?!?

Even if I knew to ask the question "can I do finds from the map page" there are people here that say "yes". What they meant was that you can do a "where to" and then say near a map point and it brings up the map. This is not even close to the same or anywhere near as useful as doing a find from the map page.

Prior to going with the floptana, I looked at the Zumo 665 and an aviation unit that supported auto-routing and marine features (I don't remember which one). Being that the markets for those units are almost certainly smaller than the floptana market it was even harder to ask folks about the features or lack thereof and you already know what I and plenty of others think of Garmin documentation!

I think with those I would probably be looking at a two unit solution to meet all the needs though. That isn't a huge deal, but having all the features I need in one unit is enticing and in hindsight maybe a mirage. The really big problem I had with those is not being able to determine whether they did what I needed prior to purchase. I even called Garmin and they just said I'd have to buy them and then return them if they don't do what I needed...
Old 08-30-2013, 02:02 PM   #9350
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAZ View Post
I learned that lesson decades ago. The problems are anticipating how a feature might get broken or limited in newer units (it just simply wouldn't have even crossed my mind about not being able to do finds from the map page, etc.) and then of course, how on earth can we find out the details of the features when they aren't documented!?!?

Even if I knew to ask the question "can I do finds from the map page" there are people here that say "yes". What they meant was that you can do a "where to" and then say near a map point and it brings up the map. This is not even close to the same or anywhere near as useful as doing a find from the map page.

Prior to going with the floptana, I looked at the Zumo 665 and an aviation unit that supported auto-routing and marine features (I don't remember which one). Being that the markets for those units are almost certainly smaller than the floptana market it was even harder to ask folks about the features or lack thereof and you already know what I and plenty of others think of Garmin documentation!

I think with those I would probably be looking at a two unit solution to meet all the needs though. That isn't a huge deal, but having all the features I need in one unit is enticing and in hindsight maybe a mirage. The really big problem I had with those is not being able to determine whether they did what I needed prior to purchase. I even called Garmin and they just said I'd have to buy them and then return them if they don't do what I needed...
So, you couldn't find another single unit that met ALL of your requirements?

P.S, did you look outside of Garmin?

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com

DRTBYK screwed with this post 08-30-2013 at 02:46 PM
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 02:56 PM   #9351
THRASHED
Moving on Up

Oddometer: 246
I have the Western Maps 24K. Am I missing some sort of setting? In the local mountains we have a lot of N designated roads. These are federally listed roads. On my BaseCamp maps most of the roads don't list their designated name. Is there some setting or add-on I'm missing?
THRASHED is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 03:51 PM   #9352
BruceWA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer View Post
I've got a couple 1k mile plus rides in the next few days, so I decided to update the Montana to 5.3 firmware (Master Reset performed), and 2014.2 of the maps. for the first trip I have 21 'bonus' locations to hit in Eastern WA. For the second trip I have 5 all over Oregon. This should give a good work out to the 5.3 firmware. If it doesn't work, I'll go back to 4.7 which has been rock solid for me. I'll post my results sometime next week.
Got in about 300 or so miles today, no acquiring issue. But I'm waiting for my next multi day trip to see for sure. And yes, it was set to FAST.
Old 08-30-2013, 04:47 PM   #9353
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by THRASHED View Post
I have the Western Maps 24K. Am I missing some sort of setting? In the local mountains we have a lot of N designated roads. These are federally listed roads. On my BaseCamp maps most of the roads don't list their designated name. Is there some setting or add-on I'm missing?
Most of the FS road data is quite old in the US 24K Topo map sets. If you have your Map Detail set to Highest what you see is what you get. CNNA will most likely have newer data. If you don't have CNNA 2014.20 take a screenshot of your map area in BaseCamp and I can check the current detail for you if you give me a Lat/Lon.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:52 PM   #9354
Timmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceWA View Post
Got in about 300 or so miles today, no acquiring issue. But I'm waiting for my next multi day trip to see for sure. And yes, it was set to FAST.
I've been out for the last day and a half and a 1,000 miles with no issues. The odometer is spot on with my 60CSx. The only annoyance is that the screen moves when I'm stopped.

I've uploaded routes, edited routes, created routes, and navigated them with no issue. It looks like 5.3 is solid for me. More testing tomorrow for the ride home.

Here's a link to my SPOT:

https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php...75212a28b4756f

Tim in Burien, WA
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100
Timmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:29 AM   #9355
JustRon
ex-broadwayron

Oddometer: 993
another odometer question

I may do a ride which requires a roll chart, and I'll need a resettable odometer for that. I know how to reset all the trip data in the Montana (I do it at the end of each day), but I saw on garminmontanagpsr that a common request was:
Add multiple Trip Odometers with ability to use and reset them individually. [04MAY12]

That was over a year ago... does anyone know if this (or, something close) has been added?
(BTW, my stock odo is a PITA to reset with gloves.)
Old 08-31-2013, 07:32 AM   #9356
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRon View Post
I may do a ride which requires a roll chart, and I'll need a resettable odometer for that. I know how to reset all the trip data in the Montana (I do it at the end of each day), but I saw on garminmontanagpsr that a common request was:
Add multiple Trip Odometers with ability to use and reset them individually. [04MAY12]

That was over a year ago... does anyone know if this (or, something close) has been added?
(BTW, my stock odo is a PITA to reset with gloves.)
Track Distance is a functional trip odometer.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:44 AM   #9357
JustRon
ex-broadwayron

Oddometer: 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
I'll look into that, thanks.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:03 AM   #9358
konfucius
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
How do easily reset the Track Distance?
konfucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:16 AM   #9359
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
So, you couldn't find another single unit that met ALL of your requirements?
Like mentioned, I really couldn't tell whether the zumo or av unit were going to meet all my needs. There just isn't enough info available and as mentioned I did talk to other users and dealers but just couldn't tell. I was prepared to get two units though. One primarily for navigating and routing and the other for logging and data display.

Quote:
P.S, did you look outside of Garmin?
Yes (Lowrance, Magellan, Tom tom, etc.), but Garmin has become almost like Microsoft circa 2000 when it comes to these types of units... That doesn't enamor me to them either. I think they get away with crap because they have a near monopoly on these units. I'm not saying the crap is deliberate, just that there's not market competition incentive to address it.

The advertised features and answers to my questions here an other forums left me with the impression that the floptana would address my requirements. I've aired my gripes with features and I believe that almost everyone in this thread would find them useful and even an effort do address all of them would be a small software effort. I don't expect them to be addressed though. Why should they bother? My long Garmin experience is that they are very poor listeners when it comes to their market's desires for these products.

I really wish they had buttons too. This is my first touch-only and I've concluded touch-only sucks. I thank apple for convincing the market you only need touch.

I also had no idea it was still as buggy as it is. I've been an early adopter on other units and while they had problems out of the gate, they all seemed much better after being out for six months than the floptana after two and half years. Admittedly, the floptana has somewhat more complex software than those from a decade or more ago, but to me it seems only incrementally so... The bugs where the unit has to be turned off and turned on again (acquiring satellites, track logs disappearing, etc.) should be much better addressed by now IMO, especially with a unit that takes so long to power up. But again, they don't really need to do it.

Frankly, one of the reasons I had not purchased a unit in the last decade was not only because the x76/x96's along with a 60/76 series did a very good job of meeting my requirements but because Garmin had seemed to lose their way with the units being released. Think the 640 (yuck). Another unit that should have been much better than it is. A Garmin CS employee was actually the one that told me I probably wouldn't be happy with it! I spent a little time with one and they were very correct.

I could have kept chugging along with a pair from my collection when I drank the floptana kool-aid and invested my resources in it. It really could/should be a unit I could be happy with. Aside from lack of buttons, there's nothing in the hardware preventing it and I can live with touch-only if that was the biggest problem.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:18 AM   #9360
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by konfucius View Post
How do easily reset the Track Distance?
Just save and clear the track log (at least in later firmware).

One caveat with the track log odometer is that it will give longer distances, sometime much longer, if it gets a bad point in the log. The trip and total odometers seem to do a good job of filtering those out.