Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2013, 07:52 AM   #16
Simon L
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Here are some pictures of the past days, a full ride report will be posted when we are back home! (Not much wifi available)

We are in Mehamn at the moment.

The view from our hotel room in Puttgarden the first night.

Nice food!

Some repairs after a small crash...

One of the very few times we had sun instead of rain...

Now I'm in desperate need of new rear brake pads due to the bad weather and hundreds of kilometres of gravel in Finland... I've been looking for new brake pads the past 4 of 5 days but none of the local dealers could help me. At last a yamaha dealer in Tana helped me by calling the Yamaha dealer in Trřmsř. They have ordered the pads and I will be able to collect them there in 3-4 days.

We've done 4250kms now, still 20 days and 4000 more to go!

Grtz,

Simon

'If you think adventure is dangerous, try routine. It is lethal.' - Paulo Coelho
Simon L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 04:51 PM   #17
Motorcykeleventyr.dk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
too cool guys

Looks really like a nice trip you´re doing. We (www.motorcykeleventyr.dk) plan to do the trip Next year, sp this is really a nice RR already ;-)
Old 08-09-2013, 05:28 PM   #18
Simon L
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcykeleventyr.dk View Post
Looks really like a nice trip you´re doing. We (www.motorcykeleventyr.dk) plan to do the trip Next year, sp this is really a nice RR already ;-)
As soon as all the photos are edited, we will post the full report! It was a really nice trip!

'If you think adventure is dangerous, try routine. It is lethal.' - Paulo Coelho
Simon L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:04 PM   #19
Toiretto
Getting into it!

Oddometer: 50
Look forward to read the complete RR. Thank you for sharing. Great pictures!
Toiretto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 02:41 PM   #20
Thijs_B
Keeps on dreaming

Oddometer: 82
Looks good!

I did the Nordkapp trip last year, and I certainly want to do it again someday...

Looking forward to the rest of the report, goed bezig!
Thijs_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 05:42 PM   #21
Stijn_M OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
There in!! I've got the pictures, only thing to do now is sow a story to it.

Day 1
Herentals - Puttgarden

We started our trip with 690km of braindead highway motorcycling to the hotel were we would spent the first night. Endless hours of weaving through hords of trucks and ignorant automobilists while having the 'sitting in class, rockin you head back and fourth' syndrome. Having an SRC in your helmet can be a blessing! We took several stops, pee stops, rest stops, Burger King stops and the 'Hey they got 100 octane fuel' stop.

Didn't do much, exept showing a higher amount on the visa recipt...
Later on we arrived at Puttgarden, Hotel Dania next to the ferry wich would take us to Denmark in the morning.

We threw our stuff in the room enjoyed the scenery and changed clothes so we could hit the bar.

Arrived at the bar we seemed to be missing a bartender... well I found a very peculier looking bar tender in the lobby whom gave us our first beer (push button draught) so from there on it was gin-tonic and rum-coke. We made friends with some german bikers who would be riding south sweden for 2 weeks, enjoyed supper and had a good nights sleep. Exept for Simon whom shared the double bed with the toss'n turn sleeper

BRAAaaaaaaaaap

Stijn_M screwed with this post 08-30-2013 at 04:58 AM
Stijn_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:17 AM   #22
Al-X
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 203
Nice, that pic of the ship is beautiful!

You should order 2 sets of brake pads. I've seen a few reports of Tenere's eating rear brake pads, especially where there is gravel and water involved?

Voorspoed met die tog!

PREV: 95 DR250S, 04 KLR650, 96 R1100GS, 06 WeeStrom, 05 DRZ400, 00 XR650R, 07 KTM525XC
Al-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 01:12 AM   #23
ttr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Great RR, go on!
Old 08-30-2013, 05:54 AM   #24
Stijn_M OP
Adventurer

Day 2
Puttgarden - Örebro

Around 7 we sat down at the breakfast table to see our german friends again, and wish each other a great trip. We moved on towards the ferry to wait in line, something we would get used to later on. Wondering around we noticed al the poles were full of stickers of people who preceded us. And there it was, someone from our home town was here before.

After 20 min or so we boarded the ferry. So long Germany, Scandinavia here we come! Arrived in Denmark we had a sunny drive towards Copenhagen and the bridge wich took us to Malmö. A pitty you cant stop on top of the bridge, it would have made a great picture! It's a great view, a view from where we noticed all the clouds above Sweden packin together to give u nice wet welcome. That day we did around 700km, from wich half was done tucked away behind my windscreen with the visors up. That's the fun thing of wearing glasses they get damped in a helmet, so vision goes to zero...Once arrived in the vicinity of Örebro we started looking to set up camp. We found a small trail wich lead to a small fishing spot in the forest. Where we were welcomed by our first moquitos ticks etc, luckily we got our deet 40%. At this latitude we already noticed that it didn't really get dark, the night still kept a low shimmer.

BRAAaaaaaaaaap
Old 08-30-2013, 09:46 AM   #25
Viking
Ćkt trřnder!!

Oddometer: 441
Awesome, I am in. Great report.
Viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:07 AM   #26
Stijn_M OP
Adventurer

Day 3
Inlandsvegen

While breaking up camp if found out someone took a liking for my helmet during the night. Some big slimy snail thought he might need a helmet. After having breakfast it was time to move on, we decided to take the 45 the inlandsvegen. I remember that day to be rainy...

After a long wet day in the saddle its nice to find a good campsite, have a nice meal and a cold beer. Keeping that in mind we found mussels and some pilsner urquel would do nice (belgian beers are hard to find). Only thing now was that campsite... While doing some gravel roads we came past a dam, here we found a wonderful campsite. The water was a couple meter lower than camp wich ment less mosquitos and I could get the beer cold.

BRAAaaaaaaaaap
Old 08-31-2013, 10:17 AM   #27
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Oddometer: 3,979
Sweet, gourmet camping

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 05:57 PM   #28
Stijn_M OP
Adventurer

Day 4
Inlandsvegen

The sun was glancing at our faces while we broke up camp, overwelmed by joy I took off from our camp place and found myself cruisin at 70km/h on gravel. Not that crazy, but I forget the bike handels a bit different with 30k extra on the back. Moments later came a left turn wich decended a bit, and there I was face down and with my right foot stuck under a pannier. No injuries, luckely. Only a sore ankel, a busted windshield, some scratches on the bike and a dented ego. Worst thing was "hell I lost my windshield" and this was only day 4. Then I remembered a good friend of us 'the Meir' -he also got a tenere- sad if you need anything...And Pia was leaving Belgium that afternoon. Some phone calls later I had a new windscreen on route towards the Nordcape! Thank you both!

Once recovered from the crash we took off, along the road we dumped the pieces of my former otr windshield at the garbage. We had a nice sunny trip along the 45, enjoying the scenery. We also saw our first herd of reindeer, ofcourse they were blockin the road, something we also got used to in the future...

With a boosted morale by the sun we tought it was a good id to bbq, afterall I was hauling a grill with me all the way and that had to be used. In a local store we found this huge steak, ribs and 2 bottles of wine only thing to do now was locate a nice campspot. This isn't that easy as it sounds, surely not next to a road wich leads through mosquito infested swampland. All the good land is already inhabited. But the dogged does it, we followed a by nature overwhelmed trail and came on a open spot with some sort of clay ground. We immidiatly set up camp and started a fire, once lit we noticed the gray clouds. Aren't those the ones we outran yestereday? Even before my words were cold a mass of rain struck us, we even needed to dig ditches because the rain wouldn't penetrate the clay ground. After 30 min the sky cleared and we could rebuild our fire from the remains of its predecessor. That meal felt like the best bbq ever.

BRAAaaaaaaaaap
Old 09-01-2013, 04:27 AM   #29
Stijn_M OP
Adventurer

Day 5
Towards the Finnish border

Around 9 we took of to Arvidsjaur, once arrived at the local gas pump a man came to us asking everything about the trip. He suggested go to a camping near Haparanda (next to the Finnish border). And that was a good id, we all craved for a shower. But before we got there we decided to go a bit sightseeing, so we took of to Storforsen. With an average flow of 250 m3/s, the rapids are one of the biggest in Europe. Next to the stream is a Hotel, were we sat down on the balcony overlooking the rapids while enjoying a fine meal.

With our stomachs filled we crawled on our bikes to continue the route towards Boden. A city with lots of militairy influances, here we would find Rödberget Fort: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boden_Fortress
An fortress designed to fend of the Russians. The road up is a small road carved out of the rocks and once up there you can enjoy a great view. You can even get a tour, but unfortunate we didn't have enough time.

We drove on towards Lulea and then on to Haparanda where after some searching and driving around we found a camping. We refreshed ourselfes with a nice hot shower so we could get a new layer of deet on our skin. Because the weather looked fine we let our clothes dry during the night. But that turned to be a bad id. Around 03h the sky started pooring buckets of water on top of us, as fast as I could I took of all clothes and trew em in the tent. "Aah well, at least they had a couple hours of sun and tomorrow we go to Finland and do lots of gravel" I sad to myself before falling asleep.

BRAAaaaaaaaaap
Old 09-12-2013, 06:07 AM   #30
Stijn_M OP
Adventurer

Day6
Finland and its gravelroads

Distance driven: 318km

The early bird cathes the worm... as the saying goes, that morning actually meant the early bird gets soaking wet and could get struck by lightning. After waiting some time we broke up camp, while they were still closing the hatches in the sky. When riding north towards the bridge -wich would lead us to Finland- the rain changed to a drizzle and eventually cleared the sky's once we crossed the border. There was the sun, lady fortuna smiled upon us. After 30km of Finnish tarmac we hit the gravel. Despite the heavy weather wich passed that night the roads were in very good condition and didn't keep water on the surface. Something they don't seem to manege with us in Belgium.

Around 14h we took halt at a small snack shack, having eaten a burger-egg-fries combo our stomachs were contented. We continued our journey at a steady pase, maybe a bit to steady...I noticed a giant puddle on the road. "This'll be fun" whispered a tiny devil in my ear. To be frank, even Mozes couldn't split that puddle like the ténéré did. I stopped and turned my attention towards the boys, hoping to see a spectacular puddle run. But I only saw a yellow gs lying on its side 100m in front of the puddle. It seemed Pieter's bike got caught up on a tiretrail at the side of the road and he lost control wich resulted in a face plant. A bit soar from the crash, Pieter tryed walking it off while Simon and I did some small repairs. Once recovered from the shock we continued as fast as possible cause this wasn't a good place to stop. Once you're noticed by a scouting insect it seemes it will invite every friend wich could sting or bite you to join the party. And the bugs can grow big in Finland...

Later on a white reindeer crossed our path, didn't see that before. We drove on towards lake Unari where we would set up camp. Looking for a campspot Simon and I both managed to get stuck on a sandy plain. Simon's bike fell over and his foot got stuck under one of the panniers. Bad luck was, that it was his bad foot wich was still recovering from when he was hit by a car. So with a painfull foot and looking over his shoulder to yet another dent in his pannier we set up camp.

BRAAaaaaaaaaap

Stijn_M screwed with this post 09-13-2013 at 02:31 AM Reason: Typo's