User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 12:08 PM   #3451
Fuse
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Ordered mine yesterday. Will be happy to write a report a soon as I can. It will be installed on a 2012 R1200GS.

Thanks to everyone who's part of this.
Old 08-30-2013, 12:30 PM   #3452
Carlo Muro
Supercàzzola

Oddometer: 2,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckygrownup View Post
Would this device help with low rpm remapping ? My 2013 R1200 GSA seems to run to rich and occasionally stalls out when slowing down to a stop. It also pops when cool. I use 93 Octane fuel and ride at sea level. I want a leaner fuel remap on my GSA. Would this do it ? I also want the flexibly to clear the real map in case I ride in higher elevations. My bike always seemed to ride too rich right from the day I bought it with 13 miles. I have 8000 miles on my bike and commute on it 1/2 the time.
I'm not the expert in this thread so take this with a grain of salt.

I've never seen a stock GS run too rich. There might be something else wrong with the bike. FWIW I've ridden my stock '07 through Leadville, CO with no noticeable degradation in performance. You can get higher than that in North America but it's not easy. If it were ever going to run rich it would have done it there.
Old 08-31-2013, 06:47 AM   #3453
ericm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
Quote:
Would this device help with low rpm remapping ? My 2013 R1200 GSA seems to run to rich and occasionally stalls out when slowing down to a stop. It also pops when cool. I use 93 Octane fuel and ride at sea level. I want a leaner fuel remap on my GSA. Would this do it ? I also want the flexibly to clear the real map in case I ride in higher elevations. My bike always seemed to ride too rich right from the day I bought it with 13 miles. I have 8000 miles on my bike and commute on it 1/2 the time.
Popping and stalling is due to being too lean. Some cycles are too lean for complete combustion, which leaves unburnt hydrocabons in the exhaust. They accumulate and ignite, causing the pop.

The ICE air does not change the map. It only modifies the input to the ECU to get it to use a slightly richer part of the map on transient throttle. This is covered in the links.

If you are using gas with ethanol, try using E0 gas with no ethanol. Ethanol requires more air, which makes the engine run lean. Not all engines compensate fully for it.
Also try 91 octane. GSes run on it in states like California which do not have 93 octane. It will have a bit more energy per liter than 93. If you get detonation, then you would need to switch back to 93. But since GSes are tuned for the swill that passes for gasoline here in California, it should not be a problem. But switching to E0 would be more important for addressing your lean running symptoms.

Modern fuel injected engines compensate for altitude. They don't run rich like a carbureted engine.
Old 08-31-2013, 12:58 PM   #3454
TommyHolly
Teaparty member

Oddometer: 215
Can you run 87 Octane in the R1200GS?

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Old 08-31-2013, 02:39 PM   #3455
Daz the Aussie
Dualsporting Actor

Oddometer: 899
So Poolside, how are the "Aiming for ship dates in August" orders coming along? In the last August mail today perhaps?

"Where do I go now that I've gone too far?"

My actor site: www.dazbyard.com
Old 09-01-2013, 01:58 PM   #3456
Ayrshire Bull
why the hell not?

Oddometer: 1,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyHolly View Post
Can you run 87 Octane in the R1200GS?
depends - what oil are you using?
Old 09-01-2013, 03:10 PM   #3457
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayrshire Bull View Post
depends - what oil are you using?
lol
Old 09-01-2013, 08:11 PM   #3458
SeaBass
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daz the Aussie View Post
So Poolside, how are the "Aiming for ship dates in August" orders coming along? In the last August mail today perhaps?
Inquiring minds want to know
Old 09-03-2013, 04:21 AM   #3459
TommyHolly
Teaparty member

Oddometer: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy View Post
lol
I'm asking because the ICE-Air was able to change the mixture enough that the guy with the fuel chart was able to run 87 octane? He never mentioned what year his bike was in the test. I'm not sure if older versions used 87 in the past?

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Old 09-03-2013, 04:29 PM   #3460
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daz the Aussie View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBass View Post

Inquiring minds want to know
I posted up some news about that in the Vendor thread.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation

Poolside screwed with this post 09-03-2013 at 11:56 PM
Old 09-04-2013, 06:16 AM   #3461
ericm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyHolly View Post
I'm asking because the ICE-Air was able to change the mixture enough that the guy with the fuel chart was able to run 87 octane? He never mentioned what year his bike was in the test. I'm not sure if older versions used 87 in the past?
I don't know of any BMWs that were spec'd to run on 87. Maybe some of the detuned low compression airheads, but my '77 R100RS needed to be dual plugged to run on 91.
My 1999 1150GS would ping on 91.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:15 PM   #3462
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,735
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlo Muro View Post

I'm not the expert in this thread so take this with a grain of salt.

I've never seen a stock GS run too rich. There might be something else wrong with the bike. FWIW I've ridden my stock '07 through Leadville, CO with no noticeable degradation in performance. You can get higher than that in North America but it's not easy. If it were ever going to run rich it would have done it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericm View Post

Popping and stalling is due to being too lean. Some cycles are too lean for complete combustion, which leaves unburnt hydrocarbons in the exhaust. They accumulate and ignite, causing the pop.

The IICE air does not change the map. It only modifies the input to the ECU to get it to use a slightly richer part of the map on transient throttle. This is covered in the links.
Thanks for chiming in fellas, and here's my two cents, luckygrownup.

As Carlo said, the boxer motor isn't operated at what you would call a rich mixture anywhere in the operational range. Eric is on the track too. Exhaust popping for the boxer and Motronic combination is caused by the mixture swinging too lean to combust. The unburned oxygen and fuel gets ignited with-a-pop during the next exhaust stroke.

And a slight adjustment to Eric's comment. The IICE Air richens up the mixture during leading throttle acceleration, and pays small dividends during transient throttle. The big increase to transient throttle enrichment is from the IICE Cool.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Old 09-04-2013, 01:33 PM   #3463
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,104
Did I Miss The Launch? Is the IICE Cool On Sale?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside View Post
Thanks for chiming in fellas, and here's my two cents, luckygrownup.

As Carlo said, the boxer motor isn't operated at what you would call a rich mixture anywhere in the operational range. Eric is on the track too. Exhaust popping for the boxer and Motronic combination is caused by the mixture swinging too lean to combust. The unburned oxygen and fuel gets ignited with-a-pop during the next exhaust stroke.

And a slight adjustment to Eric's comment. The IICE Air richens up the mixture during leading throttle acceleration, and pays small dividends during transient throttle. The big increase to transient throttle enrichment is from the IICE Cool.

Did I miss the release and sale of the IICE Cool? Or is this a "tease"..
Old 09-04-2013, 03:37 PM   #3464
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallowa View Post
Did I miss the release and sale of the IICE Cool? Or is this a "tease"..
+1
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
Old 09-05-2013, 09:44 AM   #3465
bracky72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 905
You guys didn't get yours yet? There was a big "cool" sale last month! Oh the power!

J/k
Closed Thread