Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2013, 11:21 AM   #5176
anonny
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 5,389
Anyone else getting "throttle position errors"? Mine started doing it on our trip to Laguna Seca and plagued me for 2 weeks. Dealer cant find any error codes, the thing just shows TPS error on the dash and it goes to an idle with no response to opening the throttle.

Pull over and reboot and its good until the next time it decides to do it again.

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Just another pathetic sheep following the herd

anonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 01:35 PM   #5177
Ramv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 455
Any thoughts ona good place to get replacement oem parts? My dumb self forgot to turn the bars when I parked it in the garage this afternoon and broke the left side mirror stem off when I closed the door.

This is after lending it to my boss who took it on a 2000 mile ride through Utah, Wyoming and Colorado. He really seemed to like it, had a few error lights which made for interesting phone calls (fuel sensor and key) but otherwise it seemed like a good trip. Need new tires, probably a chain and definitely a mirror with 22,000 miles on it. Reliability has been good so far.

'07 Super Enduro 950
'96 KLX250R - kind of street legal
Ramv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 03:25 PM   #5178
zvez
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
I do most of my online parts ordering from www.proitalia.com they also have online parts manuals so you can get the parts numbers and order online, Fast service.

Another choice is http://www.commoto.com/ similar setup to proitalia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramv View Post
Any thoughts ona good place to get replacement oem parts? My dumb self forgot to turn the bars when I parked it in the garage this afternoon and broke the left side mirror stem off when I closed the door.

This is after lending it to my boss who took it on a 2000 mile ride through Utah, Wyoming and Colorado. He really seemed to like it, had a few error lights which made for interesting phone calls (fuel sensor and key) but otherwise it seemed like a good trip. Need new tires, probably a chain and definitely a mirror with 22,000 miles on it. Reliability has been good so far.

13 Dookahti mts GT
zvez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 12:04 PM   #5179
PAFarkle
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Just got back from 940 miles in 2 days through all kinds of terrain. Super slab, long sweeping curves, tight twisties, single lane half pavenment half dirt roads and even about 25 miles of complete off road. I wish there was more off road inspired tires for the 1200 MTS. I think it would be great fun in endure mode with off road type tires. After my last trip a few weeks ago, 3300 miles in 10 days, I kicked around the idea of getting a new bike. What was I thinkin?? I really love this bike!! Ive had it 18 months now and have just a touch under 21000 miles. Its treated me awesome so far. A few sets of tires, a new chain, 2 headlight bulbs and regular service. I did however notice something today and yesterday I am curious if anyone else had seen. When I refueled, the bar gauge was way off. I didn't notice till about 10 miles after the gas station, but at that point it was showing half full. Then over the next 30 or miles it climbed up to full. Then it didn't show a drop till I had done nearly 70 miles. Showed my range at 235 miles after I already did 70. Any idea what could be going on? I follow my trip meter more then the gauge, but it is still under warranty so why not get it fixed if it is a problem, right?
PAFarkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 02:42 PM   #5180
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

Oddometer: 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAFarkle View Post
I did however notice something today and yesterday I am curious if anyone else had seen. When I refueled, the bar gauge was way off. I didn't notice till about 10 miles after the gas station, but at that point it was showing half full. Then over the next 30 or miles it climbed up to full. Then it didn't show a drop till I had done nearly 70 miles. Showed my range at 235 miles after I already did 70. Any idea what could be going on? I follow my trip meter more then the gauge, but it is still under warranty so why not get it fixed if it is a problem, right?
Fuel sensor.

More.

Seems to afflict a few: not a frequent problem, but not unknown either.
Pampero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 03:06 PM   #5181
Dave.0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 679
Quote:
Just got back from 940 miles in 2 days through all kinds of terrain. Super slab, long sweeping curves, tight twisties, single lane half pavenment half dirt roads and even about 25 miles of complete off road. I wish there was more off road inspired tires for the 1200 MTS. I think it would be great fun in endure mode with off road type tires. After my last trip a few weeks ago, 3300 miles in 10 days, I kicked around the idea of getting a new bike. What was I thinkin?? I really love this bike!! Ive had it 18 months now and have just a touch under 21000 miles. Its treated me awesome so far. A few sets of tires, a new chain, 2 headlight bulbs and regular service. I did however notice something today and yesterday I am curious if anyone else had seen. When I refueled, the bar gauge was way off. I didn't notice till about 10 miles after the gas station, but at that point it was showing half full. Then over the next 30 or miles it climbed up to full. Then it didn't show a drop till I had done nearly 70 miles. Showed my range at 235 miles after I already did 70. Any idea what could be going on? I follow my trip meter more then the gauge, but it is still under warranty so why not get it fixed if it is a problem, right?

My gas gauge behaves the same, always has. It takes awhile to register full then stays at full for too long and then becomes accurate at about a half tank. It then is very accurate down to zero.

As far as tires go - you can get tkc80s in 17 inch sizes. I never tried them, but they probably work pretty well. I did put many dirt miles on Dunlop 606s and they do well on hard pack dirt but not soft stuff.
Dave.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 04:33 AM   #5182
PAFarkle
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pampero View Post
Fuel sensor.

More.

Seems to afflict a few: not a frequent problem, but not unknown either.
Thanks for the info. I plan to call my dealer this week and see if they have had to deal with this before. Hoping they will order a new sensor before I take the bike. Otherwise it can wait till the dead of winter. I WILL NOT be with out my bike for a week or 2!! My warranty goes till the end of Feb so I have time. I can also say that I have found it to be very accurate. I have bad habit of when it gets to 2 bars or so I follow the "mile to go" to find a gas station. On a recent trip I was down to 2 or 3 miles. I put in 5.19 gal. I was never so happy to see a fuel pump
Old 09-03-2013, 02:53 PM   #5183
Ramv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by zvez View Post
I do most of my online parts ordering from www.proitalia.com they also have online parts manuals so you can get the parts numbers and order online, Fast service.

Another choice is http://www.commoto.com/ similar setup to proitalia.

Thanks! Pro Italia was quick and easy. Also ordered up a set of Angel GTs and have an appt tomorrow for install. 6500 miles is about all I am going to get out of my Conti Trail Attaks.

'07 Super Enduro 950
'96 KLX250R - kind of street legal
Ramv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:25 PM   #5184
zvez
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
you'll love the angel gts. They work well in wet, on twisties and last forever, I've got nearly 7k and still a ton of miles left on them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramv View Post
Thanks! Pro Italia was quick and easy. Also ordered up a set of Angel GTs and have an appt tomorrow for install. 6500 miles is about all I am going to get out of my Conti Trail Attaks.

13 Dookahti mts GT
zvez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:17 PM   #5185
PAFarkle
Adventurer

I currently have a Angel GT rear, about 4500 miles so far. Im guessing it has around 2000 miles left in it. Its been a great tire. Ive ridden it through lots if twisty roads and the wet traction is amazing. I wanna try the GT front, but I have a Dunlop RoadSmart II on the front right now, sitting on 9200 miles. It will hit 10k miles. Its been amazing as well. I might just do the Dunlop on the front again.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:33 AM   #5186
expatbrit
Still pretty much a n00b.

Oddometer: 175
Quote:
I currently have a Angel GT rear, about 4500 miles so far. Im guessing it has around 2000 miles left in it. Its been a great tire. Ive ridden it through lots if twisty roads and the wet traction is amazing. I wanna try the GT front, but I have a Dunlop RoadSmart II on the front right now, sitting on 9200 miles. It will hit 10k miles. Its been amazing as well. I might just do the Dunlop on the front again.
I installed Angel GTs front and rear after going thru' a set of PR2s. I'm /really/ liking the combo -- I've much better front end feel, I think, and much happier with the turn in. I think the best tyres I had were Q2s, but they didn't last terribly long on it.

I may be a convert from the PR2, and I've had those on several other bikes. Angel GT is really damn nice.
expatbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:38 AM   #5187
NMEXPAT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 308
Haven't posted about my BASE 2010 MTS in a long time. I have two quick updates.

Yesterday, I turned over 25,000 miles. Bike is still running good. Although I think there is a small oil leak some where... I'm still happy with my purchase, especially with the extended warranty. My only regret is that my job for the past two years hasn't allowed enough riding time. I really want to take another few week trip on her bad.

Last week I ordered some Ohlins goodies. Apparently Ohlins now makes a traditional mechanical cartridge kit for the forks. It should arrive next week. I also ordered the normal TTX shock. I'll report back on the "new" kit, once it gets installed and I get some miles under them. I figured a full suspension upgrade was in order. I was holding out for Ohlins to annouce a new "full" active suspension that would be a replacement or upgrade for the first years of MTS. Ohlins had some prototypes, but it sounds like a product that will not make it to market. I wish it would though.
NMEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:09 PM   #5188
marret
Transient

Oddometer: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMEXPAT View Post
Haven't posted about my BASE 2010 MTS in a long time. I have two quick updates.

Last week I ordered some Ohlins goodies. Apparently Ohlins now makes a traditional mechanical cartridge kit for the forks. It should arrive next week. I also ordered the normal TTX shock. I'll report back on the "new" kit, once it gets installed and I get some miles under them. I figured a full suspension upgrade was in order. I was holding out for Ohlins to annouce a new "full" active suspension that would be a replacement or upgrade for the first years of MTS. Ohlins had some prototypes, but it sounds like a product that will not make it to market. I wish it would though.
Yes, please post your findings. I have a 10 MTS ABS and am interested as well. Still loving my bike, just now at 15k miles and about to have the first major service done.
marret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 12:30 PM   #5189
ZLTFUL
Optimistic Pessimist

Oddometer: 404
So my rear brake has worked better than ever since the "memo" was released by Ducati and my dealer performed the process...this after 5 bleeds, a new line kit and a new rear master cylinder.
However, he also found the front ABS sensor wiring had long since worn through...strangely enough, never got a single ABS light.
Just a weak to the point of not even holding the bike on a hill rear brake.

Aside from that, the *only* other issue I have had with my 2012 S Touring is that every now and then (maybe a total of 6 or 7 times now), the bike just dies at a stop light.
No...I am not dumping the clutch lol. But I will roll up to a stop sign or light and pull in the clutch and the bike just dies.
Starts right back up and no lights come on to indicate a problem.

Temps don't seem to make a difference as it has happened at 103* ambient and at 49* ambient.
ZLTFUL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:41 AM   #5190
Dave.0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLTFUL View Post
Aside from that, the *only* other issue I have had with my 2012 S Touring is that every now and then (maybe a total of 6 or 7 times now), the bike just dies at a stop light.
No...I am not dumping the clutch lol. But I will roll up to a stop sign or light and pull in the clutch and the bike just dies.
Starts right back up and no lights come on to indicate a problem.
My 2010 did this up to the 600 mile service pretty regularly. If I recall correctly, the fix was to adjust the air bleed screws on the throttle bodies. I didn't do it so I can't comment further, but its only stalled a few times in the next 30k miles.
Dave.0 is offline   Reply With Quote