Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2013, 01:36 PM   #23821
Paebr332
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 802
Quote:
Originally Posted by C/1/509 View Post
Yup, I'm tracking with you. I freely admit to being a little biased against convertables in general. Probably in part because I live in Houston where we get maybe four weeks of roadster weather a year. But also because cutting off the top of a car really screws up the rigidity, and then to fix it they weld in a bunch of braces, adding weight. Why not just put (or leave) a top on the car?

I'm not a Miata hater - it's just a really small car with pretty small power - probably why it's seen as a chick car.
Miata was designed without a top. Having no roof did not compromise anything.

Just because you do not understand the draw of a light and nimble roadster does not mean others do not. Miatas are viewed as chick cars by people who cannot drive fast in the twisties, but can only mash the gas and go straight.

P.S. I do not own a Miata but I want one because I love going quickly in the twisty stuff. YMMV.
Paebr332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 01:47 PM   #23822
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paebr332 View Post

Just because you do not understand the draw of a light and nimble roadster does not mean others do not. Miatas are viewed as chick cars by people who cannot drive fast in the twisties, but can only mash the gas and go straight.

P.S. I do not own a Miata but I want one because I love going quickly in the twisty stuff. YMMV.
It's STILL a CHICK CAR.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 02:27 PM   #23823
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,585
Quote:

You don't need a lot of power to go fast on a twisty road, but you do need to know how to ride/drive. I think you understand but many people just don't. One of my fastest runs through Deals Gap was chasing a Miata. I finally passed him when we came up behind slower traffic.

These guys drove from Texas to drive some twisty roads:

I much prefer 2 wheels to four, but the Miata does look like fun, for a car.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 03:40 PM   #23824
C/1/509
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,820
Quote:

Really? Wow, OK. Clearly I'm confused, though I guess I often am. Quoting Car and Driver Best Handling Car for Less Than $40,000:

"Everyone, including the Cayman Dynamics staff, commented on the Miata’s structural rigidity or, rather, its lack thereof. We expect some flutter in an open-top car, and this tightly wound group of  hard-top peers cast the Miata’s floppy structure in extra-stark relief. The loudest and most damning complaints, though, were not ­specifically about structure but instead concerned the Miata’s inconsistent steering response and its copious amount of  body roll."

Better yet, read the article yourself: http://www.caranddriver.com/features/best-handling-car-for-less-than-40000-370z-vs-evo-mustang-gt-gti-miata-mini-jcw-feature

I guess like me, they are confused about cars without roofs not compromising anything. And as to my not understanding the draw of light and nimble cars, albeit not a roadster or especially light, my daily driver is a 135. I already said that I'm not a Miata hater. You're certainly right about one thing though, my mileage does vary.
C/1/509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 03:52 PM   #23825
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
In 2006, when I first went to the Gap, a pickup truck passed me because I was so slow. Different story now.

But I know a guy who goes places on a supermoto with pilot powers that most adv guys on here say they can't go on a adv bike.

Where are you Banning C.????
Old 08-31-2013, 06:34 PM   #23826
J Banning
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by 225 View Post
In 2006, when I first went to the Gap, a pickup truck passed me because I was so slow. Different story now.

But I know a guy who goes places on a supermoto with pilot powers that most adv guys on here say they can't go on a adv bike.

Whatever it is, I didn't do it!
Old 08-31-2013, 07:00 PM   #23827
RDTCU
Banned

Oddometer: 2,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by 225 View Post

Light weight helps...
RDTCU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:18 PM   #23828
Paebr332
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 802
Quote:
Originally Posted by C/1/509 View Post
Really? Wow, OK. Clearly I'm confused, though I guess I often am. Quoting Car and Driver Best Handling Car for Less Than $40,000:

"Everyone, including the Cayman Dynamics staff, commented on the Miata’s structural rigidity or, rather, its lack thereof. We expect some flutter in an open-top car, and this tightly wound group of  hard-top peers cast the Miata’s floppy structure in extra-stark relief. The loudest and most damning complaints, though, were not *specifically about structure but instead concerned the Miata’s inconsistent steering response and its copious amount of  body roll."

Better yet, read the article yourself: http://www.caranddriver.com/features/best-handling-car-for-less-than-40000-370z-vs-evo-mustang-gt-gti-miata-mini-jcw-feature

I guess like me, they are confused about cars without roofs not compromising anything. And as to my not understanding the draw of light and nimble cars, albeit not a roadster or especially light, my daily driver is a 135. I already said that I'm not a Miata hater. You're certainly right about one thing though, my mileage does vary.
Funny, but that article found the Miata the second best handling sub-$40,000 car you can buy, beaten only by the phenomenal Evo. As a former Evo X owner I understand just why they picked that over the Miata. But an open top car with the least power of those tested only losing to a state of the art AWD system is not really supporting your argument all that well. Of course, your owning a mini-Bimmer might explain your biases. I used to own a BMW as well, but mine was an M5 so I really don't understand why anyone would own a 135.

Paebr332 screwed with this post 09-01-2013 at 07:25 AM
Paebr332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 03:52 AM   #23829
C/1/509
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,820
Quote:
Funny, but that article found the Miata the second best handling sub-$40,000 car you can buy, beaten only by the phenomenal Evo. As a former Ego X owner I understand just why they picked that over the Miata. But an open top car with the least power of those tested only losing to a state of the art AWD system is not really supporting your argument all that well. Of course, your owning a mini-Bimmer might explain your biases. I used to own a BMW as well, but mine was an M5 so I really don't understand why anyone would own a 135.
You used to have an Ego X (I guess that's an Evo X?) and a M5 and now you want a Miata. And the Miata, purpose built to be a roadster includes no compromises. Welcome to the internet where anything is possible.
C/1/509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 04:25 AM   #23830
Schatzman
I Saved Latin

Oddometer: 3,760
Quote:
Of course, your owning a mini-Bimmer might explain your biases. I used to own a BMW as well, but mine was an M5 so I really don't understand why anyone would own a 135.

You sound like a stuck up douche bag. After reading the bikes in your profile I have concluded the following, you are a wannabe stuck up douche bag. Removing the badges from a 5 series and putting M mirrors on doesn't make it an M5.

No one in their right mind, who has at the very least driven a M5, would ever downgrade to a Miata.

Lucky for you, there is already a thread on here which discusses the Miata. I think the thread will be a perfect match for you....

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...=915468&page=9
Schatzman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 04:49 AM   #23831
Ray of Sunshine
Meat Donut 2 Some

Oddometer: 16,855
If I had a ban buttom

Some beyotches directly above me would be getting a 3 day time out.

Chill folks, nothing is so important.

Peace, Love, Go Ride.

Life is better, but why not?
Ray of Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 04:51 AM   #23832
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by car94 View Post
None of you s are complaining about her lack of ATGATT?
The tennis shoes are not proper.
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P Z50 clone monkey sidecar
2014 Sky Team MC-D34 CT70 clone
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 06:21 AM   #23833
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeSux View Post
Nope.
It is the fact that (based on what i saw) he is getting the groups, he had 2 in the first stop, 2 in the second, 3 in the 3rd.
7 tickets and not one stop was on a solo rider, seemed he liked to get his in groups.
Just another fact pointing to how stupid people can be. Really? If you're in a group and the police come after you, only the last guy needs to stop (the one the cop catches up to first); everyone else can just continue down the road and pull off someplace and wait for the ticketed rider to catch up. Unless there's a herd of cops coming after you he can only physically stop one bike at a time.

Duh.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:55 AM   #23834
Chivvalry
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by manfromthestix View Post
Just another fact pointing to how stupid people can be. Really? If you're in a group and the police come after you, only the last guy needs to stop (the one the cop catches up to first); everyone else can just continue down the road and pull off someplace and wait for the ticketed rider to catch up. Unless there's a herd of cops coming after you he can only physically stop one bike at a time.

Duh.
Careful there... If the cops signals you to pull over and you continue you are going to have a bad day.
2011 WR250R
Chivvalry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:12 AM   #23835
TrashCan
Scary Jerry

Oddometer: 4,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by manfromthestix View Post

Duh.

A lot of the stops at the Gap are done from the front. They radar you and then motion for you to pull over.

TrashCan is online now   Reply With Quote