ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Sports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 508 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 08-31-2013, 03:58 PM   #30826
Tripped1
Likely Lost.
 
Tripped1's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Nippon
Oddometer: 8,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
...or yoga.

Buddy of mine swears by it. (and there's hot chicks too!)
My Doc has been trying to get me into yoga for like 5 years now due it certain disk issue that I have.....I haven't missed a day of work for my back in like 3 years now so the hell with her.

I wouldn't mind the exercise part, its the chanting world peace bullshit that turns me off about it.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by RottenScummyTroll View Post
Show folks something with a clutch and carburetor, and it's like teaching a baboon to use a Macbook.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 04:37 PM   #30827
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV
 
Mr Head's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 7,832
So, after watching MotoGP practice and qualifying all morning I took off about noon for a ride. Filled up my Fred-pack and headed out for roads.
That was hot and hard. I filled a bottle at a park on the way back and drank a good bit as long as I was there. I should have added some to the pack. I ran out of all fluids about a 1/4 mile from home. That's a little close.
Got home grabbed a ice cold water bottle from the fridge, upstairs to lay on ice, and cool down. Worked great.

Maxed my hr at 171 and averaged 140.
No KOM's were ever in any danger.
My back never hurt a bit the entire time. I did have to stop in the shade a few times to cool down. My shoes are burning my feet, or rather the second toe on either foot goes numb, (both have been broken multiple times and are a bit mishapen), I aired them a tad in the shade up on the big hill. Time to go find shoes.



I accomplished what I set out to do, find a route to the ocean as an alternative to my usual out and back along the river. If I continued on the Stevens Canyon Trail I would land in the Newport Backbay. Also I know where the water and toilets are now so I can get a good bit of climbing in and score about 70 miles. Now, I just need the fitness to manage that.
__________________
...Dick
"You don't go to Mongolia for the food." - Sebastian & Kim
2010 KTM 990 Adventure R
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 04:54 PM   #30828
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus
 
TheNedster's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Perched atop the Great Central Valley
Oddometer: 886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
So, after watching MotoGP practice and qualifying all morning I took off about noon for a ride. Filled up my Fred-pack and headed out for roads.
That was hot and hard. I filled a bottle at a park on the way back and drank a good bit as long as I was there. I should have added some to the pack. I ran out of all fluids about a 1/4 mile from home. That's a little close.
Got home grabbed a ice cold water bottle from the fridge, upstairs to lay on ice, and cool down. Worked great.

Maxed my hr at 171 and averaged 140.
No KOM's were ever in any danger.
My back never hurt a bit the entire time. I did have to stop in the shade a few times to cool down. My shoes are burning my feet, or rather the second toe on either foot goes numb, (both have been broken multiple times and are a bit mishapen), I aired them a tad in the shade up on the big hill. Time to go find shoes.



I accomplished what I set out to do, find a route to the ocean as an alternative to my usual out and back along the river. If I continued on the Stevens Canyon Trail I would land in the Newport Backbay. Also I know where the water and toilets are now so I can get a good bit of climbing in and score about 70 miles. Now, I just need the fitness to manage that.
Nothin' wrong with that ride. I think your doctor may be an idjit.

Had a good day up in the mountains today on what may be the toughest climb I've done to date. The descent hurt too, hands went numb from the vibes and my neck was aching after being tucked in for so long. A tough but rewarding ride.

__________________
"The V-Strom Man sits up straight and only picks his nose when he is 100% sure that no one is looking." - Uncle Larry
TheNedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 06:07 PM   #30829
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon
 
Schlug's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: put something on and stay in that position.
Oddometer: 7,460
Want to lose a quick 15 lbs? Try 6 days in the hospital, 4 NPO and the rest clear liquids.

Feels good to be back home, though. Doc says no limitations on exercise but I still feel awfully weak and little cloudy headed.

Glad to see you guys are still turning 'em round.
__________________
"So what makes this protest different is that you're set to die, Bobby?"
--May well come to that.
"You start a hunger strike to protest for what you believe in. You don't start already determined to die or am I missing somethin' here?"
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 06:13 PM   #30830
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV
 
Mr Head's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 7,832
Good to see you back too.
Ouch.
BTDT, I dropped forty pounds using the ICU trick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbySands View Post
Want to lose a quick 15 lbs? Try 6 days in the hospital, 4 NPO and the rest clear liquids.

Feels good to be back home, though. Doc says no limitations on exercise but I still feel awfully weak and little cloudy headed.

Glad to see you guys are still turning 'em round.
__________________
...Dick
"You don't go to Mongolia for the food." - Sebastian & Kim
2010 KTM 990 Adventure R
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 06:32 PM   #30831
k7
Ancien cyclist
 
k7's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Location: SOP - south of Phoenix, hotter n hell
Oddometer: 19,839
Back in the saddle again....well, rolling lawn chair

First ride since tasting asphalt on July 5th. It was about 37 miles - 90% flat as a fritter. Hot, humid - felt more like August in AL rather than Aug in AZ.

Two flats but uneventful other than that.
k7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:52 PM   #30832
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV
 
Mr Head's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 7,832
Humid in Arizona?
Wow.
Hot?
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
First ride since tasting asphalt on July 5th. It was about 37 miles - 90% flat as a fritter. Hot, humid - felt more like August in AL rather than Aug in AZ.

Two flats but uneventful other than that.
__________________
...Dick
"You don't go to Mongolia for the food." - Sebastian & Kim
2010 KTM 990 Adventure R
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:43 PM   #30833
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon
 
Schlug's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: put something on and stay in that position.
Oddometer: 7,460
Well, there just isn't much to do for it but get back on the bike for a few miles.

Some miles better than no miles.
__________________
"So what makes this protest different is that you're set to die, Bobby?"
--May well come to that.
"You start a hunger strike to protest for what you believe in. You don't start already determined to die or am I missing somethin' here?"
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:49 PM   #30834
k7
Ancien cyclist
 
k7's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Location: SOP - south of Phoenix, hotter n hell
Oddometer: 19,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
Humid in Arizona?
Wow.
Hot?
Not bad. It was in the low 90's and overcast with a little rain. When I was pumping up the tire, the sweat was just rolling off my face.

Could be an impact of 10 extra lbs. too.
k7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 12:42 AM   #30835
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon
 
Schlug's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: put something on and stay in that position.
Oddometer: 7,460
speaking of TSDI:

Carbonio.
Whoops

__________________
"So what makes this protest different is that you're set to die, Bobby?"
--May well come to that.
"You start a hunger strike to protest for what you believe in. You don't start already determined to die or am I missing somethin' here?"
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 04:40 AM   #30836
vfr700
172S
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Phoenix, Az
Oddometer: 570
Oh, that sucks; mighty nice wall art. I'm out visiting my folks, and decided to dig out and ship my old Vitus back to Az. Always liked Vitus & Alan, in spite of their bad press, I never found mine to be a flexy noodle. Sure a little softer than some SL frames of the time, Kelly rode how many classics on one? This one hasn't seen competition since about 88, needs a bit of work, but should be a fun project.
__________________
Phoenix, Az
vfr700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 06:33 AM   #30837
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 28,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbySands View Post
speaking of TSDI:

Carbonio.
Whoops

Very common occurrence.



Went for the 'Sat 4PM mtn bike ride' at 6PM with the bike builder, H. He's a Cat 1 on the dirt and except for some really bad luck with cars, a fast guy. He tried to kill me in the woods. He was riding darn near race pace to get to a picnic that his wife and a (she's cute ) neighbor tossed on a whim. I kept up, but that's probably the fastest I've ridden thru the woods in a looonnnnnggggg time!

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:22 AM   #30838
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer
 
Rider_WV's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Leon, WV
Oddometer: 2,417
im on vacation but brought the bike along. i got in a ride for six straight day but they are totally flat miles so far, riding at the beach is pretty boring but the wind can make it a little interesting, at least the scenery is nice. Having a bike lane is awesome, i just have to dodge chicks in bikinis instead of deer.

The Clement Xplor USH tires are really nice and I am loving the Anatomica saddle it really is like a butt hammock.

I got in a total 0f 703km for August, a personal record for me. I really wanted 750 but my legs just werent there yesterday. I will try to get 750km in Sept.
Rider_WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:11 AM   #30839
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus
 
TheNedster's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Perched atop the Great Central Valley
Oddometer: 886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider_WV View Post
im on vacation but brought the bike along. i got in a ride for six straight day but they are totally flat miles so far, riding at the beach is pretty boring but the wind can make it a little interesting, at least the scenery is nice. Having a bike lane is awesome, i just have to dodge chicks in bikinis instead of deer.

The Clement Xplor USH tires are really nice and I am loving the Anatomica saddle it really is like a butt hammock.

I got in a total 0f 703km for August, a personal record for me. I really wanted 750 but my legs just werent there yesterday. I will try to get 750km in Sept.
Good job...you'll get it next month!
__________________
"The V-Strom Man sits up straight and only picks his nose when he is 100% sure that no one is looking." - Uncle Larry
TheNedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:27 AM   #30840
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 28,821
article: best ways for cyclists to lose weight

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015