k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
Humid in Arizona?
Wow.
Hot?
Not bad. It was in the low 90's and overcast with a little rain. When I was pumping up the tire, the sweat was just rolling off my face.

Could be an impact of 10 extra lbs. too.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 12:42 AM   #30947
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,303
speaking of TSDI:

Carbonio.
Whoops

-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 04:40 AM   #30948
vfr700
172S

Oddometer: 566
Oh, that sucks; mighty nice wall art. I'm out visiting my folks, and decided to dig out and ship my old Vitus back to Az. Always liked Vitus & Alan, in spite of their bad press, I never found mine to be a flexy noodle. Sure a little softer than some SL frames of the time, Kelly rode how many classics on one? This one hasn't seen competition since about 88, needs a bit of work, but should be a fun project.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:33 AM   #30949
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbySands View Post
speaking of TSDI:

Carbonio.
Whoops

Very common occurrence.

Went for the 'Sat 4PM mtn bike ride' at 6PM with the bike builder, H. He's a Cat 1 on the dirt and except for some really bad luck with cars, a fast guy. He tried to kill me in the woods. He was riding darn near race pace to get to a picnic that his wife and a (she's cute ) neighbor tossed on a whim. I kept up, but that's probably the fastest I've ridden thru the woods in a looonnnnnggggg time!

M
Old 09-01-2013, 08:22 AM   #30950
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,200
im on vacation but brought the bike along. i got in a ride for six straight day but they are totally flat miles so far, riding at the beach is pretty boring but the wind can make it a little interesting, at least the scenery is nice. Having a bike lane is awesome, i just have to dodge chicks in bikinis instead of deer.

The Clement Xplor USH tires are really nice and I am loving the Anatomica saddle it really is like a butt hammock.

I got in a total 0f 703km for August, a personal record for me. I really wanted 750 but my legs just werent there yesterday. I will try to get 750km in Sept.
Rider_WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:11 AM   #30951
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider_WV View Post
im on vacation but brought the bike along. i got in a ride for six straight day but they are totally flat miles so far, riding at the beach is pretty boring but the wind can make it a little interesting, at least the scenery is nice. Having a bike lane is awesome, i just have to dodge chicks in bikinis instead of deer.

The Clement Xplor USH tires are really nice and I am loving the Anatomica saddle it really is like a butt hammock.

I got in a total 0f 703km for August, a personal record for me. I really wanted 750 but my legs just werent there yesterday. I will try to get 750km in Sept.
Good job...you'll get it next month!
Old 09-01-2013, 09:27 AM   #30952
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

article: best ways for cyclists to lose weight

M
Old 09-01-2013, 09:35 AM   #30953
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
I had one two weeks ago and eradicated it with zero medication. I used the NielMed Sinus Rinse about 3 times per day to flush everything clean. Tip for post-flush; bend over like you are touching your toes and blow your nose to clear out any leftover saline. This is far and away improved over the Neti pot.
Thank you kindly. I went out to the store and bought one shortly after you posted this tip. It was the last one they had in stock. I'm finally starting to feel human again. Of course, its raining today.

Glad I got out for 14.5 miles of technical trails on Raccoon Mountain yesterday. My buddy rented a tricked out Santa Cruz Solo 650B (LBS owner's personal ride) and realized it didn't live up to his expectations. He still dropped me like a bad habit in the tight boulders/roots for the first hour. I'm shocked he didn't manage to break it. The air was so swampy you could cut it with a knife. The Smith sport specs fogged up so badly I couldn't see diddly on the climbs or flats. My camelback ran dry at the 10 mile mark.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:51 AM   #30954
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfr700 View Post
Oh, that sucks; mighty nice wall art. I'm out visiting my folks, and decided to dig out and ship my old Vitus back to Az. Always liked Vitus & Alan, in spite of their bad press, I never found mine to be a flexy noodle. Sure a little softer than some SL frames of the time, Kelly rode how many classics on one? This one hasn't seen competition since about 88, needs a bit of work, but should be a fun project.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Very common occurrence.

Went for the 'Sat 4PM mtn bike ride' at 6PM with the bike builder, H. He's a Cat 1 on the dirt and except for some really bad luck with cars, a fast guy. He tried to kill me in the woods. He was riding darn near race pace to get to a picnic that his wife and a (she's cute ) neighbor tossed on a whim. I kept up, but that's probably the fastest I've ridden thru the woods in a looonnnnnggggg time!

M

That bike is for sale on Ebay, seller wants you to have the lug welded before you ride it. For your safety. It probably can be repaired if you could find that cast lug, but a lot of times the downtube to headlug suffers from the tiny bit of movement that the broken lug allows.

I always liked Vitus because, being a bogtrotter, I always liked King Kelly. You couldn't pry those frames from him any more than you could get him to move to a bigger frame or lift is saddle. But then he rode clips and straps for a long time. They only time I had occasion to meet him was when he was with PDM. But all my posters were of him in that soda pop jersey. I don't know what frame that Concorde really was when he rode for them. Easily the oddest riding position in the peloton that, if I recall, they said came from outgrowing frames as a kid and not being able to replace them. The high stem, the Cinelli Criterium bars, low seat heat, unholy knee/elbow overlap.

Splendor makes this about 1980

France-Loire means 1982

KAS 1986 or so.

Photo I found on Flickr (not mine)

That would have been 1989 or so? Clips and straps 3 years after Hinault and Lemond changed the game with them. Stem still jacked to the limit.

Can't make out the build of this 'Concorde'

And heaven knows I've repaired a load of Vitus frames. Not all were catastrophic or the fault of the frame. Lots of shifter bosses come loose and rear derailleur hangers broken or bent. Once in a while the steerer tube would come loose, usually announced by an odd creak up front before it came all the way loose.

But Vitus frames never worked for me. I could swing that bottom bracket far enough to rub the front derailleur when I was standing. But if you were picky with your components you could build a really light machine and a comfortable one that gobbled miles.

I have a lot of time on my hands while I get healed up, sorry for all ramblings.
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.

Schlug screwed with this post 09-01-2013 at 10:06 AM
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 10:33 AM   #30955
vfr700
172S

Ramblings, nah, good stuff. I've never stopped riding, been racing mostly since the early 80's, with some down time here & there. Never lost the passion for cycling, but my heart is still in the 80's.

I embrace new technology, although I can't wrap my mind around why everyone rides around on carbon hoops while training or JRA, (but it supports the industry) and why so many are wrapped up in bike weight. Seeing shots of King Kelly and the culture it represents makes me think cycling has kind of lost its soul a bit. and don't get me started about Strava. I still love most aspects of today's racing, just nit picking a bit.

Thanks for the pics, I'm about ready to pack my rose pink Vitus for a trip to Az. It needs cables, tape, sew-up's, I'm going to re lace the 501 hubs, the GL330's are in good shape, and the rest of the SSC group looks good. A bit of TLC & she'll be on the road soon.
Old 09-01-2013, 11:33 AM   #30956
surly357
Cochetopa dreamin'

Oddometer: 532
The CBS sports helicopter view of Kelly's '86 P-R sprint! That bike is about to wrap around itself as he rockets away for the win! Maybe my all time favorite televised cycling moment. :-)
surly357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 11:37 AM   #30957
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbySands View Post
speaking of TSDI:

Carbonio.
Whoops

ahh, that should buff out!
Old 09-01-2013, 06:30 PM   #30958
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbySands

Photo I found on Flickr (not mine)

That would have been 1989 or so? Clips and straps 3 years after Hinault and Lemond changed the game with them. Stem still jacked to the limit.

Can't make out the build of this 'Concorde'

I have a lot of time on my hands while I get healed up, sorry for all ramblings.
I had a PDM Concorde. SLX frame. Loved that thing. I was going to build it up 'team edition' till I found out how expensive C-Record was! My college student budget wouldn't support that, so I ended up with a Shimano mix

One of the few bikes I wish I'd never sold.

M
Old 09-01-2013, 06:36 PM   #30959
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfr700 View Post
Ramblings, nah, good stuff. I've never stopped riding, been racing mostly since the early 80's, with some down time here & there. Never lost the passion for cycling, but my heart is still in the 80's.
Makes a few of us. I love the new carbon wunderbikes, but skinny tubed steel bikes still make my heart go pitter patter in a different way.

Quote:
I embrace new technology, although I can't wrap my mind around why everyone rides around on carbon hoops while training or JRA, (but it supports the industry) and why so many are wrapped up in bike weight. Seeing shots of King Kelly and the culture it represents makes me think cycling has kind of lost its soul a bit. and don't get me started about Strava. I still love most aspects of today's racing, just nit picking a bit.
I can't say too much 'cause I just build myself 3 pair of carbon wheels (2 x tubulars, 1 x clinchers). I don't typically ride carbon on a daily basis tho. Even when I have it, I still tend to ride 32/32 alloy wheels for their durability.

Quote:
Thanks for the pics, I'm about ready to pack my rose pink Vitus for a trip to Az. It needs cables, tape, sew-up's, I'm going to re lace the 501 hubs, the GL330's are in good shape, and the rest of the SSC group looks good. A bit of TLC & she'll be on the road soon.
You suck. Out loud. I ever tell you my Starfish crank story?

BTW, if anyone wants to try out some 501 hubs with a GL330 on it (8sp freewheel IIRC) I've got one I can let go for cheap.

M
Old 09-01-2013, 07:10 PM   #30960
vfr700
172S

We're talking about the 631 & not the other "starfish" right?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: