ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2013, 08:25 PM   #4711
scooter noob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangecicle View Post
Never heard of it. Is this a sign that your German pump is "funktioniert nicht?"
I found a Felco fuel pump assembly that is safe for ethanol, but l don't like buying without knowledge. I'm in Billings at the moment, the manual will be waiting for me when we get back from Calgary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

BMW MOA# 192310
scooter noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:58 PM   #4712
scooter noob
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I spent the past few days getting in the last of my parts before the Colorado trip. I put the new carb floats and needles in only to find . . . that the carb inlet connections were leaking. There are three O-rings on each inlet . . . . Three gold-plated O-rings. The only way you can get them is by ordering the carb rebuild kit for oh, say about $270.

But, my butt was saved by a guy online who identified some O-rings in a kit at Advance Auto that somewhat work, and Doug at MotoSports, who pulled out his "spare" O-ring box and found some bizarre O-rings that worked perfectly. We did a little "mix and match" to make everything work again.

We now think that my carb is working thanks to advice from this forum re: rare Viton O-rings, and some O-rings from a 520 O-ring chain link. Thank you ADV Rider & MotoSports! My trip to Colorado is saved. ADV, Doug, Ron & Justine rule!
I wholeheartedly agree. I thank this site, YOU for towing my sick bike, and all the other fine people's advice here...as well as the gang at Motosports!!!!

BMW MOA# 192310
Old 08-31-2013, 09:14 PM   #4713
kleinergti1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
. Leaving for Colorado tommorow as well
Old 08-31-2013, 10:03 PM   #4714
polson
2 wheels !!!!

Oddometer: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by kleinergti1 View Post
. Leaving for Colorado tommorow as well
I am jealous, nice bike.

Safe travels

Oh yeah! 2 wheels!
polson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:44 PM   #4715
backroadrider74
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
last i knew he was 10 miles from omaha
backroadrider74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:00 PM   #4716
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter noob View Post
I found a Felco fuel pump assembly that is safe for ethanol, but l don't like buying without knowledge. I'm in Billings at the moment, the manual will be waiting for me when we get back from Calgary.

Ethanol is evil. The first time I took my carbs apart, the intakes were coated with this yellow crap. I couldn't figure out what that stuff was. I eventually figured out with help from the board that it was my Polyamide-6 tanks, which were slowly dissolving from the prior owner using ethanol fuels in Florida. There are ongoing issues with 990 owners dealing with stopped up fuel filters, and I'm pretty certain that it's dissolved tanks from ethanol stopping up the filters.
Orangecicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:14 PM   #4717
motometal
i like motorcycles

Oddometer: 3,444
I don't get it..shouldn't any relatively modern bikes fuel tank be made to handle ethanol?
motometal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 12:14 AM   #4718
ts3doug
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 799
a few years of the speed triples used plastic tanks, ethanol messes them up something good. i avoid ethanol at all costs in mine, sounds like that will get more expensive in the next month or so
ts3doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:26 AM   #4719
ZLTFUL
Optimistic Pessimist

Oddometer: 449
Ducati also has a long history of expanded/swelling fuel tanks since they started using plastics for their tanks.
Ethanol is the bane of plastic and rubber parts everywhere.

We won't get into the mpg losses, power loss or the simply piss poor political side of it.
Ducati in The Rockies 2014 RR
ZLTFUL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:33 AM   #4720
scooter noob
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Ethanol is evil. The first time I took my carbs apart, the intakes were coated with this yellow crap. I couldn't figure out what that stuff was. I eventually figured out with help from the board that it was my Polyamide-6 tanks, which were slowly dissolving from the prior owner using ethanol fuels in Florida. There are ongoing issues with 990 owners dealing with stopped up fuel filters, and I'm pretty certain that it's dissolved tanks from ethanol stopping up the filters.
Ahh...that makes sense as to why my bike went sputter sputter, cough cough. I'm going to also pull the injector and see what it's like.

No use replacing the filter and not checking that out as well.

BMW MOA# 192310
Old 09-02-2013, 09:40 AM   #4721
motometal
i like motorcycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLTFUL View Post
Ducati also has a long history of expanded/swelling fuel tanks since they started using plastics for their tanks.
Ethanol is the bane of plastic and rubber parts everywhere.

We won't get into the mpg losses, power loss or the simply piss poor political side of it.
Sorry but way too much misinformation out there about ethanol.

There are many plastic fuel tanks that work just fine with ethanol...from the sounds of it these particular ones do not. I would be more upset with the mfg for not using the right plastic. Shame on them for cheaping out on this aspect of such an expensive motorcycle.

Power loss is very false...in fact ethanol adds power to some degree as long as the tuning isn't wrong. If it caused power loss...would it be used by drag racers, indy car etc? Mpg loss...yes, but if an engine is designed to run it (higher compression and advanced timing) mpg loss is reduced.

I don't mean to be argumentative but I see too much of this being spread on the Internet and must chime in.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:41 AM   #4722
ZLTFUL
Optimistic Pessimist

Oddometer: 449
Hate to break the news to you but both sides of the argument have spewed misinformation. Why should a manufacture have to pander to the ethanol lobby using a much more expensive ethanol resistant plastic?
Why should manufacturers have to tune for one type if fuel at the cost of performance and mpg for a other?
I am all for valid forms of renewable fuel sources but corn based ethanol is a farce.
Switchgrass is much more effective as a source for ethanol.

You have a point about power *if* a vehicle is tuned for it but mpg suffers even on vehicles tuned for it to the tune of 15-20% in my brother's "flex fuel" Impala. And the cost has rapidly increased to the point where you aren't saving money buying the "cheaper" alternative.

There is a whole thread of arguing back and forth between both sides elsewhere on the forum and this is my last post on the subject. We are all from Iowa here and are very familiar with the ethanol lobby and both sides of the argument and are very aware of the advantages and drawbacks no matter what each side of the argument tries to pass as "information".
Ducati in The Rockies 2014 RR
ZLTFUL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:13 AM   #4723
motometal
i like motorcycles

No pandering required...just making a fuel tank to handle the fuels used commonly in our country. I can't comment on the cost of the plastic used but can point to all sorts of cars trucks motorcycles chain saws trimmers etc around my place with plastic tanks, none with problems running 10percent or in some cases higher ethanol.

Any given engine should be tuned properly for the fuel it uses. If an engine runs too lean and there happens to be ethanol fuel in the tank...that's not the fuels fault unless it was misrepresented at the pump.

If you really dig into the details, switchgrass is not so practical compared to corn because of the sheer volume it takes to equal corn and other handling issues. I guess I should say... Some day it might be practical...but it isn't now.

Yes there are politics involved but I have more interest in discussing the science and facts as they relate to internal combustion engines.

I avoid ethanol fuel in old equipment/vehicles...and in cases where the fuel will be sitting in the tank for a long time. It absorbs water...particularly if the fuel system is not sealed well.

A little off topic...sure but so are many other posts...nothing wrong with a friendly discussion.
Old 09-02-2013, 01:35 PM   #4724
2whlrcr
gooligan

Oddometer: 5,771
Fuck ethanol.
2whlrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 02:31 PM   #4725
ts3doug
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 799
Dual sport?