User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2013, 10:11 AM   #76
Reaver OP
Outta Here

Oddometer: 2,417
Day 5

Day 5 was another travel day with Montana's Glacier National Park as a detour. Last night's stop at Cory's and the tank install have set us back but well worth it.

I'm tired, it's 11am and we haven't left yet, my face is dried out from the sun and wind, my nose is raw and the heat is causing our legs to swell.

No time to properly inspect the bikes today. No fuel on the ground, no coolant leaks and there's air in the tires. My chain is loose but will have to wait. Hopefully we can find a cabin in the mountains tonight and call it quits early. I have 200 pics I haven't looked at yet let alone post. Photobcket is really slow today.

Garmin Basecamp SUCKS!

Yes I'm still having a great time. Enjoy your office.

We're doing the Trans Can to Kamloops today. PB won't respond so no pics, sorry.

Now Gimmy my Timmy and no one gets hurt!!!!!
Old 08-29-2013, 10:29 AM   #77
hwunger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post
Uh, we passed it with just a nod. Now I can say I've been there.

I hate crowds of any sort and avoid them. Just like Port Dover on Fri 13th. Fugettaboutit.

no you haven't .... you didn't even get a t-shirt

and no, it's nothing like Port Dover .... I don't think ZZ Top or Aerosmith have played there have they

not a Harley guy by any means ... but once to Sturgis should be on any self respecting motorcyclists list ... have a nice ride !
hwunger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:44 PM   #78
Camel ADV
aka Oso Blanco

Oddometer: 1,330
Quote:
OK, my fueling issues in the US were driving me nuts. Timing is everything and it seems the stars aligned for me. I arrived in Calgary tonight and contacted Cory, AKA Oso Blanco, the man behind the Camel auxiliary fuel tank and he said "Come on over".

Installation took about an hour. Cory knew exactly what he's doing but we were busy shooting the bull so I'm guessing an hour for a normal install by an average Joe. I wanted to install it myself, as did he for my feedback but I'd travelled 750 kms today and had gotten rain and 12 C temps with no sleep last night. I was beat. Someone else will have to do the thread in the Parallel Universe but Cory says the instructions are very detailed and precise so it may not be necessary. You can view them on his website Cameltank.com. It's installed and filled so I'll tell you how it functions as I continue on.

With this diversion into Calgary, my Ride Report is further delayed. I'll catch up ASAP. For now, we got the last room in town (Cochrane) after riding inn the dark in Deer and Elk country. Calgary prices on rooms is nuts and Bec said the room we initially had was soooo disgusting she wouldn't sleep in it. It was a well known chain.

Thank you so much Cory! Now low fuel is Bec's problem...........
Glad I could get you set-up with a tank. Always good to meet customers in person. Enjoy the extra range on you trip

Proud member of Team Canada for the 2014 BMW GS Trophy

AT-BZ-CA-CN-CO-CR-CZ-CH-FR-DE-GB-GT-HN-IE-JP-KZ-KR-LI-LU-MX-NL-NI-PL-RU-SV-UA-US
Camel ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:21 PM   #79
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,590
Drove up to sturgis... well custer, and keystone was the most northern we got..... during bike week. We wanted to see Mt. Rushmore.....but could not wait to get far away from sturgis. Not for us.
Soooooooo..... low fuel is her problem...... which in term is your problem....... ha ha.

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:39 PM   #80
Reaver OP
Outta Here

Pissed

Day 4 Catch up

\\

Montana is a very windy place. Last time I was here I couldn't get a room cause of all the construction crews building the Turbines. Making lemonade out of Mother Nature's lemons. Wind is a resource now.

The road to nowhere? Seemed like it at times.

Connectivity here in the mountains is limited. I just lost my whole write up. F!!!

Edit: I'll try this again!

Repost of day 4 map.

I really underestimated the size of Montana. Wow. Beautiful, rugged and desolate. It has it's major cities but for the most part it's rolling pasture as far as you can see. There's no excuse for hitting animals or getting a ticket as nothing can hide from view in daylight. We seen our first Tumbleweed and it was hilarious! Almost alive, it approached the shoulder, looked both ways then darted to the centreline. Seeing us it retreated like a full throttle hare back into the field. When we reached the spot it had been we were bounced side to side in what may have been the start of a "Dust Devil" or "Whirling Dervish". We owned the road for the most part and it was great to take in the views and snap pics without worrying about speed or lane wandering. There were a few construction stops where the heat from the engine radiated up like an opened oven door. The fans came on and the LED's went red. The heat and added resistance was stressing the charging and cooling systems. We began shutting down and dismounting till we got the go ahead sign.

With our jackets fully opened it wasn't too bad while moving except that you scoop up a lot of bugs, esp the dwindling honey bees. I released one PO'd bee without his stinger but didn't feel anything. Bec was in the gas station washroom and started to shriek. I ignored it cause that's her reaction to any type of bug however small. She came out with a bee sting on her shoulder all embarrassed as we stared. HA HA!

We found a hotel in Grand Falls that was iffy. It had condoms in the vending machine. We were done though and everything was a few steps away. Gas, beer and food. The idiots beside us had 3 dogs and were worse than children, running around yelping. We were kept up till the wee hours listening to grown men baby talking the dogs. "Speak" ARF! "That's my girl. Good doggy. Who's a good doggy?" My thoughts..."Who's an A Hole? You are, that's right! Such a big A Hole!" I'm a light sleeper while Bec could sleep in a rubber rescue raft in a storm.

Day 5 had me tired and grouchy.

Reaver screwed with this post 08-31-2013 at 09:29 AM
Reaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:52 AM   #81
kelsow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,114
Quote:
Connectivity here in the mountains is limited. I just lost my whole write up. F!!!
Tip. Write it in notepad including url links to your photos.

Under "edit/replace" you can change the http to [img]http and the .jpg to .jpg[/img]
Site: dualsport.ca and rideatlantic.ca
kelsow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 08:30 AM   #82
Reaver OP
Outta Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsow View Post
Tip. Write it in notepad including url links to your photos.

Under "edit/replace" you can change the http to [img]http and the .jpg to .jpg[/img]
Yes, thanks. I should know better. Soon as I hit "submit" it vanished. If the damn laptop overheats it doesn't matter, everything's lost. And the fan is spotless, no excuse.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:35 AM   #83
Viking
Ækt trønder!!

Oddometer: 434
Funny shit, I am in on this
Viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:24 AM   #84
Reaver OP
Outta Here

Day 5- 720 kms.

There's too much red there, we actually started mid Montana. Oops.

As we travelled further north and higher in elevation, the temps dropped to the 20's making it far more comfortable. Bec signalled to pull over and we zipped up all our vents and she put on a sweater. Finally a use for the sweaters! Here I took the old car pics. I thought of the Clampet's from The Beverly Hillbillies. The road ended and as we stopped I pointed skyward and said "Safe or Sorry?" meaning "Rain gear?" She's not afraid of rain and just shrugged her shoulders so I took it as "Whatever" and I proceeded. The instant we let out the clutch a massive bolt of lightning struck what seemed to be right in front of us (still expansive prairies) and Bec hauled off to the shoulder immediately as the sky opened up on us. It had looked like the road went through a clearing up ahead but no, not my luck. It was a welcome rain but the temps dropped to 12 so we were now cold. Grip heat, check !The beautiful highway 2 into the mountains toward the western side of Glacier Park had us all cold and wet. We arrived at the Park entrance and walked around the shops full of trinkets pretending to be interested as we warmed up. The sun came out so the park ride was saved!

The Going to the Sun road through the park is so beautiful with it's mountain lakes and snow capped peaks. It was busy but it didn't matter that we travelled below the speed limit. Minor construction delay but who cared? We had an early dinner at a stop after exiting.

Lack of planning got me again. We didn't realize the Canadian Border was so close. Passing up the shops and BEER, we proceeded to a lonely Border crossing in the middle of nothing. With one bike ahead of us, and a jaded Agent, it took maybe three minutes tops. Nope, no alcohol sir, dammit.

BACK IN CANADA!!!!!

I could turn my phone on again, use my Debit card and find me a Tim Horton's! Alberta is much like Montana at this part except everyone drove in the right lane unless passing. Just sayin'. Good visibility meant high speeds! Change Zumo back to metric.

It was at Tim's I called Cory and you know that story already.

Pics will follow given time!

Reaver screwed with this post 09-18-2013 at 08:22 AM
Old 08-30-2013, 07:49 PM   #85
Reaver OP
Outta Here

Don't you just hate idiots doing Ride Reports out of order?

We are currently on the Pacific Coast in the Ski Resort town of Whistler BC. Expedia got us a killer deal here on a deluxe room with a kitchen and even a rubber ducky for the tub.Tomorrow is a day off from riding as we celebrate 5000 kms so far (in 7 days). Bec has a Spa appointment in the morning then we go Bungee Jumping in the afternoon. Right now there's a free concert below and every type of food you could want. Kinda romantic, eh Erling?

Don't mean to brag, sorry.

There's an F800 parked beside me with BC plates. Anyone we know??

Old 08-30-2013, 09:58 PM   #86
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Don't you just hate idiots doing Ride Reports out of order?

We are currently on the Pacific Coast in the Ski Resort town of Whistler BC. Expedia got us a killer deal here on a deluxe room with a kitchen and even a rubber ducky for the tub.Tomorrow is a day off from riding as we celebrate 5000 kms so far (in 7 days). Bec has a Spa appointment in the morning then we go Bungee Jumping in the afternoon. Right now there's a free concert below and every type of food you could want. Kinda romantic, eh Erling?

Don't mean to brag, sorry.

There's an F800 parked beside me with BC plates. Anyone we know??

He he......... good luck amigo....... :)

Erling
Old 08-30-2013, 11:04 PM   #87
Reaver OP
Outta Here

Day 5 pics:

Where we stopped to zipper up. The American Pickers prerequisites:

Redneck Grocery Getter? I wanted it.

Where I stopped to don the raingear. It was a historic site with a pull over spot. Bec stopped on the very narrow shoulder a half mile back with trucks going by. I try to teach her to ride safe. Better to be wet and safe.

Look! It's only raining on either side of the road, not where we're going.

It was an hour in the rain at 12 C. You're fine Princess!

The Sun shone bright for our tour of the park. Gorgeous!

Hundreds of pics but you'll just have to go yourself. That tiny curb on the right was all that stopped you from going over the edge! If you got caught up looking at the scenery and hit the curb you'd be in free fall. Hopefully enough time for a "Spectacles, Testicles, Wallet, Watch."

Back in Canada. FIRST STOP!

Canada/USA Differences:

Canada

USA

Reaver screwed with this post 08-31-2013 at 10:39 AM
Old 08-31-2013, 09:02 AM   #88
Reaver OP
Outta Here

Day 6. I dunno, 6-700 kms. You look it up. Forgot to reset trip meter.

We left the hotel late and got our Timmy fix. Following the Trans Can Hwy 1 we wanted to go through Banff National Park and see the sights while travelling. There is no charge for the park if you're just passing through. If you're going to do this route then take #1A through Canmore for more sights and scenery. I've been there a few times and wanted more mileage instead. Having reached Lake Louise and needing fuel anyway, we stopped in. It's a Canadian thing, you have to see it. Well....it's popular! After waiting on the RV's and SUV's to fuel we got our chance. We headed for the parking lots and Holy F! We COULD NOT get a spot for even one bike! Oh there are many lots and spots but this place was PACKED! After circling a half hour we managed to find room beside a RV in the compact car section......

Where's the lake?

Radioface at the lake.

She makes it look better......

Did I mention it was packed? We had to wait in line to pose for the pics. I cropped out the inconsiderates. They have canoe rentals there and I'd have loved to do that given more time. At least the rental place wasn't busy. There were hiking trails all around and another lake further away. I bet it would be more peaceful there and with vacant parking spots. Bec wanted ice cream so we crammed ourselves sideways into the shop and waited. A candy shop full of whiny spoiled kids who were stuck in a car for hours. Great. Yep, pack'em full of sugar and cage them up for a few more hours. Enjoy your trip parents. Um...we don't like kids all that much. We have pets.

Been there, done that. Beautiful nonetheless. Can you believe we couldn't find a single decal for my topcase? Met a group of local bikers and yapped for a bit. That was good at least. Practise my PR skills.

If you have to ask, you can't afford it. We didn't.

The Airlines would have a field day with all this luggage!

WHO CARES? I'm packin' Camel!

Left Louise and packed on the miles Found peace again away from the masses. It was so quiet on the roads now that we stopped for gas, filled up then couldn't find anyone to pay. We're not in the US......

Some tunnels were lit:

Some were not. I didn't realize how "glowy" I was. What brand helmet?

Ended up in Revelstoke for a break. Bec fancied a nice hotel with Hot Springs and Spas. She booked a room and made reservations at a place she was told was a half hour up the road. Raided the liquor store, fueled up and left. 10 mins into the ride the street numbers were going the wrong way. It started to rain so we pulled over. No Service! If you're Canadian and want to travel F Rogers! It never works off the beaten path here. Even most of the East Coast wasn't supported. My 3 yr plan is up but I didn't get time to switch. Break down in the Boonies and your BBerry is worthless. Not good if you were to hit a Bighorn Sheep and need 911. Anyway we turned around and went back into service range. This time the receptionist said "No, not that highway, the other one AND it's an hour, not half." OK, cancel it then! Yeah Zumo was useless for finding that place. Like the 30 yr old gas station earlier.

We decided to stay in Revelstoke and went to the Motel Swiss Chalet. It looked nice but the price for the "last room" was stupid. I surveyed the empty parking lot and wanted to ask "Did they all walk here or are they just out for dinner?" Tourist tricks. Found a back street motel for less than half. All we needed. Met a retired couple on his KTM 950 Adventure and her F650GS single. We'd passed them awhile back but they were ahead of us now all unpacked and relaxing! They tour all over together. We got their address in Colorado and an open invite. A good finish to the day.

Reaver screwed with this post 08-31-2013 at 08:34 PM
Old 08-31-2013, 07:46 PM   #89
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Were they by any chance from Aspen, CO....????????

Erling
Old 08-31-2013, 07:57 PM   #90
Reaver OP
Outta Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post
Were they by any chance from Aspen, CO....????????
Tim and Paulette from Salida.

P.S. Mission accomplished. Internet slow in this full hotel. Trying to update now......