Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2013, 11:11 AM   #1
Pheebs OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
House Sitting - Mid September for 3-6months! Any ideas?! :)

Hey hey People :)

Sam and Clare here, we're still buzzing about on our RTW Charity trip and absolutely loving Canada! Currently in Labrador about to do the Trans-Labrador Highway and then heading up to Alaska, Prudoe Bay! (check out where we are/what we're doing - www.facebook.com/chasinghorizons)

We are going to have to stop for a few months though to do some work, mainly writing up and editing our book on our trip so far, some studying and also graphic design work on our laptop so we can afford the next section of our trip (America and South America). We are therefore trying to find somewhere we could house sit for these months and were hoping you guys and girls may know of somewhere/someone/or be in need of a house sitter yourselves!

Our Background:

You can probably find out a fair amount about us online but in short we've both house sitted on various occasions in the UK and also been pet sitters (references can be provided)! Having sold up everything we own and given what we can to our three charities, Sam and I are currently on a Charity Round the World Motorcycle Trip (Chasing Horizons) and are soon going to be stopping for anywhere between 3 - 6 months to do some work before continuing on the road.

At 29, I'm an ex Police Officer and now do house renovations (including plumbing, electrics, plastering, and general home improvements work) so I have plenty of experience at handling any kind of repair work or in the case of police experience - any potential disasters! I absolutely adore animals and have previously been a dog sitter and walker in the UK for dogs of all ages (puppies through to oldies) and sizes. I have helped professionally train dogs and puppies, including those with separation anxiety and aggressive behaviour. I also have had to administer medicines to canines and aid them in poor health (hip disorders and trachea issues). Previously I have owned a German Shepherd which was Police Trained, Lab x Collie, Great Dane and also at the other end of the scale a Yorkshire Terrier. I also have experience with looking after cats, birds and reptiles (note... not big keen on snakes but fortunately Sam is!)

Sam is an avid traveller and at 37 he has managed to travel to most places in the world, mainly on motorcycles! In between all his travelling he is an Art Director, Graphic Designer and Photographer so more often than not can be found working away at the computer or snapping pictures. Similar to I, he also is incredibly passionate about home improvements and animals with a great deal of experience when handling, particularly kitty cats! He is incredibly useful when it comes to any mechanical issues and a dab hand at cooking (even if the past 8months has meant cooking on a stove with one pan outside a tent!)

We have both been together now for 3 years and are happily engaged and excited about getting married and settling down at the end of our Charity Trip. We are both fit and active and when we are stopped we can be found enjoying a run, yoga, hiking or swimming. We are both incredibly tidy, clean and organised (hopefully a 2 year trip on motorcycles with limited monies and possessions will reflect this!) and are non smokers.

As above, we can provide references if and when required :)

When and Where:

We are looking for somewhere to house sit from mid September 2013 for 3 - 6 months.

Ideally we would love to be somewhere in Nova Scotia (near Halifax - we are hoping to eventually live here once we finish travelling) or otherwise Vancouver but will consider pretty much anywhere in Canada!

clare@chasinghorizons.co.uk
sam@chasinghorizons.co.uk

Just so you're aware, the next week we will be dipping in and out of wifi as we are travelling the Trans-labrador which I'm sure most of you aware is pretty remote. So if you do email us and we take a week to reply it's only because we're on the road in the middle of no where!

If anyone knows or needs a reliable couple for house sitting over the winter please please do let us know!

Thanks again guys :)

Old 07-29-2013, 12:48 PM   #2
kelsow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,080
Hey guys. It was such a great pleasure meeting you on the ferry to Labrador. It was fascinating chatting with you both.
I hope your journey has been without any problems as for me it was a sketchy ride with rain and a bad choice of tires but safe and sound in a seedy hotel room in Quebec city now.

I'll post up on my forums and start asking a few people that I know.
I'll let you know if I find anything.

Rob
Site: dualsport.ca and rideatlantic.ca
kelsow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 07:01 PM   #3
Pheebs OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Hey guys and girls :) Just thought we'd say we're still looking and really don't mind any location and even if it's for a few weeks!

Going to pop on to a few local sites and see posting an ad will help but they all seem inundated with House Sitters...

We shall see :)

Any help/info/ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much!
Old 09-01-2013, 05:23 AM   #4
Newfiebullet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
Good luck!
Newfiebullet is offline   Reply With Quote