ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2013, 05:20 PM   #1
ericGSsti OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 536
Off road.

Took my 950 adv S off road for the first time since I got it.

Myself and a mate on his Africa Twin Took a track and followed it down into woods and into a valley. I learned the heard way how heavey the 950 is once it gets stook in a bog hole. Took everything we both had to pull the bike out.

Not liking the scorpion tyre on the back though. So a change of tire is due soon and a new clutch lever.

Looking forward to the Paddy Dakar the end of Sept now.

No pics taken in the forest but took one when we got back on the road.

"In the spirit of adventure, open to all riders and carrying a message of friendship between all men"- Thierry Sabine 1977 founder of the Paris Dakar -

ericGSsti screwed with this post 09-01-2013 at 07:10 AM
ericGSsti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 05:48 PM   #2
1stiski
Ride that nasty thing

Oddometer: 1,618
put on some true dual sport, dirt biased tires, and the beast will become the dominant species of the woods. Rally style tires work wonders off road.
"Grim Brother" #1
1stiski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 02:02 AM   #3
ericGSsti OP
Studly Adventurer

Had one on it when I bought it but the road killed it before I got it off road so fitted the Spair scorpion. Defo the next tyre I get will be a rally type tire again.
"In the spirit of adventure, open to all riders and carrying a message of friendship between all men"- Thierry Sabine 1977 founder of the Paris Dakar -
Old 09-01-2013, 03:55 AM   #4
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin

Oddometer: 1,337
Tires on the big twin make a big impression...

Finding a great all around tire is really an important search for these bikes. Some people love the stock Scorpion which has it's pluses and minuses, but for mainly pavement can be effective. I never liked them, especially for my S model. I found the Scorpions didn't hold air consistently, and due to the light stock S springs, would scallop quickly due to the constant "dive" characteristics of the front end.

I've tried various tires and found the TKC 80 works well as an all around choice although soft and the rear can be worn out in long rocky adventure rides.

I've recently been riding on a set of Scorpion Rally tires... but have yet to get them out in the dirt. They vibrate on pavement immensely, numb my wrists, drift on concrete seams and feel inconsistent cornering.

My next rear tire experiment will be the Karoo 3.

Good luck with your tire experimentations.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:47 AM   #5
Gustavo.Ramos
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 863
Tires are a big plus, but learn to trust that engine and twist the throttle and that brute force will get her out of *most* trouble!

Raid de L'Amitié 2011 RR (link)
690R
Gustavo.Ramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 06:59 AM   #6
ericGSsti OP
Studly Adventurer

I have to say the rad fan was on constant and when I got the bike out onto the road again the coolant spilt out the over flow of the expansion bottle so I'll have to get the second fan sorted and possibly a switch to runs the fans longer then the bike does.

I had a Karoo on it when I bought it but only fitted the scorpion as it came with the bike so may try a Karoo again.
Old 09-01-2013, 07:29 AM   #7
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,337
It's a very different kind of bike to ride in the rough. Meoni hated all of the weight on the front of the bike. He could not lift the front when he wanted to, so he had the oil tank moved to the rear to change up the weight characteristics.

As the bikes are sold with a lot of weight sitting forward on the bike, you can't lift the front in the bad stuff. I rode with a buy on a 690R in the woods once. He could lift the front and just skip over little sandy washouts. I tried the same -- the back tire spun, the front never even inched up a little, and I just hit the sandy spot a lot faster than I wanted to.

Better tires help A LOT. I've been running a Pirelli Rally front, and that tire is really wonderful off-road, and it's not as bad as you would think on the road. But, you have to respect the knobbies -- you can't push hard into corners. The Rally is amazing on gravel and dirt and gives you confidence that the front will stick.

I've run the Scorpions for rears since I bought the bike, but I just bought a Rally for the rear as well for a trip though the mountains of Colorado. The tire will not last AT ALL on the road, but I do hope it makes one trip through Colorado. We will see! Many people like the Heidenau K60 for the rear because it wears so well.
Orangecicle is offline   Reply With Quote