User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2013, 11:17 AM   #1
OldLinePaul OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Editorial Changes at Bike (UK) Magazine

Hugo Wilson has firmly made his mark with the current issue of Bike. Mike Armitage is the only member of the editorial staff remaining from the Tim Thompson days, although Chippy Wood, Si Hargreaves, and MFG remain listed as "contributors." I believe Tony Hoare is over at MCN with Tim Thompson.

Since Wilson's appointment as Editor the magazine has become more focused on touring and has even included the occasional H-D story - which would have been out of place in the Thompson days as the magazine was decidedly more sportbike oriented then.

What do you think of these changes?
OldLinePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 02:06 PM   #2
Downer
Downer

Oddometer: 195
I like them

I didn't see the r1200rt in the 50 best bikes whic I thought was surprising. I must have missed it. The Wasserstein Cooled GS was #1
Old 08-30-2013, 03:00 PM   #3
C/1/509
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,566
I still like the magazine - far and away better than anything published here. We'll see where it goes.
C/1/509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 03:14 PM   #4
hippiebrian
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,895
Love Bike

I don't remember who wrote it, but I got hooked on Bike when I read, and I quote, "Anyone who has a bike and doesn't know how fast it goes is a pussy. That's right, a pussy." You won't find words of wisdom like that in any American motorcycle magazine!

With more emphasis on touring, I can only see the magazine getting better, and me getting broker by buying even more of them...
hippiebrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:50 AM   #5
C/1/509
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,566
Funny quote - that's their style.
C/1/509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:44 AM   #6
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,490
Not totally impressed with Wilson, even if he does own a Moto Morini which is one of my favourite brands after a few formative years with a 3 1/2. It is, however, an ancient motorcycle and well suited for an editor of Classic Bike, rather than Bike. I'm not aware he owns anything more modern.

Hargreaves is probably the best bike writer still in harness and if he ceased to contribute to the mag I doubt I'd keep paying up to read the thing. Armitage, Hoare, Wood etc are all very earnest and experienced but for me it is about making the words sing and none of the others can get it done. Wilson might get there one day but I can't quite pick up the passion. Reminds me of someone I used to work with.

OTOH Wilson has his heart in the right place. I commented in another thread about their critique of the R1200GS LC as a pillion ride. They sent an experienced pillion on a multi-day trip with a good rider she was fond of, and then gave her plenty of space to say her piece. Admirable commitment of resources. Problem was, experienced as she may have been, she didn't have enough perspective. Her major point was that from a pillion POV, the the GS was not an RT. Interesting, but worth a 250 word sidebar, not five pages.

It's a tough game, though. I recall a recent issue where Hargreaves took his long-term MV to meet a former classmate (IIRC) who'd done well in finance and bought one. They went out for a thrash and the classmate crashed his. Hargreaves managed to get a rivetting story out of it. Hard to buy talent like that for bike magazine wages. I wish Wilson the best.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:53 AM   #7
OldLinePaul OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
I agree with your observation about Hargreaves. I'd probably let my subscription lapse but for his contribution to the magazine.

I also agree that Bike remains probably the best motorbike publication available, notwithstanding the editorial changes. Maybe it's some form of tradition or inertia, but I do keep subscribing to Cycle World primarily because it is relatively cheap and I enjoy the observations and perspectives of Cameron and Egan.
OldLinePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:05 AM   #8
spezjag
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,652
I thought the move of Tim Thompson to the magazine was awkward - given his past association with Performance Bike. And I think Bike lost its way during his tenure.

That said, the magazine has lost a lot of momentum since the days of Dan Walsh / Damon l'Anson as feature writers. Walsh's contributions (and book derived therefrom) were amazing. The magazine was about adventure, and now it seems a little more oriented about owning stuff (new bikes, new gear, etc.).

We'll see how this plays out.

Only a motorcyclist knows why a cheetah hangs its head out the window. - Peterman
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ6jy8o...ure%3Dyoutu.be
spezjag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:36 AM   #9
WIDELOAD
Bunburyist

Oddometer: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by spezjag View Post
I thought the move of Tim Thompson to the magazine was awkward - given his past association with Performance Bike. And I think Bike lost its way during his tenure.

That said, the magazine has lost a lot of momentum since the days of Dan Walsh / Damon l'Anson as feature writers. Walsh's contributions (and book derived therefrom) were amazing. The magazine was about adventure, and now it seems a little more oriented about owning stuff (new bikes, new gear, etc.).

We'll see how this plays out.
Agree with the above...Hugo is a good bloke...I've met him a few times on the Isle of Man. Bike's founder Mark Williams still contributes to some classic rags and TBM...I would like to see Bike find its roots
WIDELOAD is offline   Reply With Quote