Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2009, 05:24 AM   #16
2tallnwide
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,332
If it gets too hot to ride in shorts, t-shirt, and tennis shoes I'm usually 6000 miles away from my bike here working in Saudi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBkh6lrOfT4

2tallnwide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 04:23 PM   #17
3Rugrs4GA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,267
Too hot in S. Jersey today...92 degrees

I just got back into riding after a long delay. I have owned my 800GS for two months now. I purchased BMW boot, pants, jacket, and gloves. I love my gear, but definately too hot to ride this afternoon. I considered waiting until about now (7:00pm) to get on the bike....but my backyard, a good cigar, and cold beer were all calling my name. So, definately no bike this afternoon. I will ride to work tomorrow....

I'll keep my eyes on this post for summer gear recommendations also...seems like the only logical option is to purchase some mesh gear.
3Rugrs4GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 04:59 PM   #18
Bimjo
Crashes at zero speed...

Oddometer: 321
Get mesh jacket.
Get ice.
Put ice in jacket pockets.
Ride.
Enjoy.
Bimjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 07:14 PM   #19
BmoreBandit
Gnarly something..

Oddometer: 466
im okay with gear, beemer city pants arent cool in the summer, but are good enough for me, and more important- they are not black.
jacket, i dislike joe rocket style crappy mesh but good companies make nice summer jackets. its the boots, the boots, i have problems with. just today i rode around in my vans. my sidi foorwear is nothing short of brutal in the summer. so far i've looked into air techs, but there could be something better out there. i dont wanna buy moto sneakers, as they feel just like any other high tops + a bit more protection.

A man who procrastinates in his choosing will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance.. H Thompson
BmoreBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 07:26 PM   #20
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,946
Pretty simple for me. If it's too hot for ATGATT, it's too hot to ride.

Fortunately, the lack of humidity around here ensures nice cool mornings even in the hottest part of the summer. This is a double positive since I most enjoy riding in the relatively light morning traffic anyway. Thus my summer riding is usually a blast through the twisties EARLY on a saturday morning before all the squids and idiots get out, plus I'm not baking in my suit.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:42 AM   #21
ZappBranigan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 457
Here in CO we are fortunate to have mountains. If it's too hot in the city it's usually perfect in the mountains.

My "minimum" gear is: FF helmet, mesh or perforated leather jacket, gloves, jeans, boots. I do not wear riding pants if it's hot. With a t-shirt underneath my mesh jacket I stay reasonably cool unless I'm in stop-and-go traffic.
ZappBranigan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 11:22 AM   #22
Gray Dragon
Geezer rider

Oddometer: 319
The weather here got into the 80's so the leather jacket got hung up and the mesh jacket got taken out.

Last summer my typical gear was a full face helmet, mesh jacket, pants (non motorcycle), gloves, and boots.

I've since switched to a modular helmet, noninsulated gloves (ok the insulation in the old ones were shot anyways) and added some Motoboss riding pants that are not vented in anyway. I expect these to be quite warm come July/August, but will still wear them, as I've found I'm not comfortable not wearing them (might switch to shorts underneath instead of pants).

I've found if I can keep my torso cool my legs are ok, besides the pants help sheild my legs from the heat of the engine.

Never buy a fur coat from a man being chased by a naked bear.
Gray Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:21 PM   #23
3power
Cafe'er

Oddometer: 1,141
Drink plenty of cold fluids -that's the key - and wear mesh.
3power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 01:53 PM   #24
CGameProgrammer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 315
I wear a mesh jacket when it's very hot but it's not nearly as protective as my normal Frank Thomas jacket that I wear when it's 85 degrees or less. The mesh jacket seems like it has zero abrasion resistance and dubious impact resistance since the impact pads can move around a little. Better than nothing though. Better than a T-shirt. Also note that even mesh jackets can come with a removable inner liner; remove it to stay even cooler.

For pants, I wear normal textile motorcycle overpants, and underneath them shorts or even just underwear is comfortable when it's very hot. And boots, gloves, and helmet are always the same (unless it's very cold, then I use winter gloves).

You will sweat though, in anything. That's fine as the sweat will do a lot to keep you cool; just keep yourself hydrated.
CGameProgrammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 02:23 PM   #25
CyHawk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
It gets pretty warm around here and I usually wear a mesh jacket. I've currently got a Joe Rocket that works well and summer weight armored gloves.

I'll combine them with Icon Armor when I commute to work and Under Armour T's or Polo's with Icon or Slider Kevlar jeans on the weekend.

The Under Armour shirts breath really well and dry any sweat quickly.
2004 BMW R1100s
2003 Suzuki SV1000n sold
2003 BMW F650CS sold
1981 Yamaha QT50 "Yamahopper" Joy of my youth
1976 Honda CB360T Rebuilt and gifted to Dad
CyHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 02:25 PM   #26
243Win
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 703
UnderArmor heat gear, then mesh or perf'd leathers. The UnderArmor stuff made the most difference for me. Spendy, but works well.

10 State Trip 2010
2011, $1000 in the pocket, how far can we go
243Win is offline   Reply With Quote