Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2008, 12:49 PM   #76
KSJEEPER
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,320
Seldom wear riding pants. Jeans, sometimes armored pants if it's chilly. I've had a get-off at hiway speed in a pair of Fox Creek leather chaps and they held up quite nicely. Always wear a jacket with some kind of armor and spine protection. Generally a full face, on occassion wear a Bell Mag-8 which is an open face (not a half helmet). I worry less abou the lower half (although always wear boots). I'm not as concerned about hideous road rash as i am spinal cord injuries and head injuries.

I know the consequences, and make rational mature decisions based on my own wllingness to accept quantifiable risk here in the land of the free and the home of the brave.
KSJEEPER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 03:03 PM   #77
Waco
Renegade Sickle Hound

Oddometer: 14,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by hankgs
Most accidents occur within a 2 mile radius of your home... I, too have responded to many M/C accidents and the low speed, low impact are seveve if not wearing a minimum of [B]Helmet, Jacket, Jeans and gloves[/B
Precisely. Dressing for an 80 mph crash is better, but the chances of being in an accident where the added protection of a full suit with armor makes much difference is low. I wear my Aerostich for weekend rides, but I take my chances on my short, low-speed commute.
Old 05-11-2008, 04:19 PM   #78
bostonsr
Just weight

Oddometer: 8,402
anything can happen in the event of a get-off...dress for it.

BMW makes some very good gear that looks/feels like street clothes (summer 2 pants, city pants, inotex jeans.) i went ahead and paid the extra money because the alternative would be riding without proper gear. draggin jeans don't appeal to me lookswise...but the idea is spot on.

i don't want to look like a spaceman when i am off the bike and walkin around town...heck i don't wanna look like a spaceman when i'm ON the bike.

so yah, ATGATT here...i did ride twice with motg and didn't like the feeling of not being protected. pavement is unforgiving of errors, dress accordingly.

abe

"If you want me to forgive and forget about it, stop reminding me about it."
bostonsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 04:27 PM   #79
Waco
Renegade Sickle Hound

Oddometer: 14,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonsr
anything can happen in the event of a get-off...dress for it.

BMW makes some very good gear that looks/feels like street clothes (summer 2 pants, city pants, inotex jeans.) i went ahead and paid the extra money because the alternative would be riding without proper gear. draggin jeans don't appeal to me lookswise...but the idea is spot on.

i don't want to look like a spaceman when i am off the bike and walkin around town...heck i don't wanna look like a spaceman when i'm ON the bike.

so yah, ATGATT here...i did ride twice with motg and didn't like the feeling of not being protected. pavement is unforgiving of errors, dress accordingly.

abe
There are casual alternatives to the spaceman look, but I ride to work daily and I don't wish to wear riding pants around the office daily, even if they look like jeans from a distance.
Old 05-11-2008, 08:50 PM   #80
bostonsr
Just weight

Oddometer: 8,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waco Kid
There are casual alternatives to the spaceman look, but I ride to work daily and I don't wish to wear riding pants around the office daily, even if they look like jeans from a distance.
mesh overpants?

abe

"If you want me to forgive and forget about it, stop reminding me about it."
bostonsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 09:03 PM   #81
Gusgus
Banned

Oddometer: 5,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonsr
mesh overpants?

abe
will need to upgrade to cooler atgatt after I am in Oregon!
Gusgus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 09:20 PM   #82
PacWestGS
Life Is The Adventure!

Oddometer: 10,866
I scored some BMW "City Pants" in my deal on the GSA. I finally wore them the other day and was quite impressed. They have CE armor in the knees and hips, with some pretty cool zippered pockets. Otherwise they look like fashionable dark grey denim jeans.

Remove the knee guards and they would be fine for casual MC wear...

The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. (Albert Einstein)
PacWestGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 10:08 PM   #83
Bravosarah
Curiously Addicted

Oddometer: 133
I'm strictly ATTGATT no matter the weather and I have been since my parents allowed me to buy my first bike at 16yo.

They said sure, but there's gonna be some rules. ATTGATT was one of them, fullface helmet and all, and it has stuck ever since. (Thanks Mom, and Happy Mothers Day! )

I remember years ago when I worked at the local racetrack contractors showed up to repaint the lines in the 'motorcycle only' parking lot and all us motorcycle riders were asked to move our bikes to another parking lot on the other side of the track. I went out in my work clothes to move my bike and boy did I ever feel naked and vunerable!
Bravosarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 04:01 PM   #84
khager
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 792
I am ATGATT 98% of the time. Does that make sense? The other 2% gloves and helmet short trip around the block or in the neighborhood 25 mph or less, and under a mile, maybe two, and also, no traffic in my hood.

So I guess I am ATGMOTT

khager screwed with this post 09-01-2013 at 07:29 PM
khager is online now   Reply With Quote