Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2009, 03:59 AM   #31
PWRCRZR
Grumpy Old Bastard

Oddometer: 7,489
I always where a full face, sunglasses or clear glasses for eye protection when visor is up, gloves, jacket, riding boots or lace up leather boots. Riding pants when out riding around or trippin. If I am just going to work I go with just jeans.

So riding pants are my only weak spot.
However, I am not complaining because I know that I am probably better today then I will be tomorrow, so I try and enjoy every day as it comes, and stay determined to live well and be appreciative of what I still can do..."Stromsurfer"
PWRCRZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 08:29 AM   #32
rpclark
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
My bare minimum is 3/4 helmet, snap-on face shield, jean-jacket- even at 100 deg, light leather gloves, jeans and boots. Even very minor tips suck without gear.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:31 AM   #33
Trophy Mike
w/extreme prejudice

Oddometer: 796
Top to bottom:

Schuberth or Arai
Rukka
Held
Rukka
Vendramini
Trophy Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 12:07 PM   #34
markk53 OP
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 8,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry
Minimum Gear:

Helmet
Gloves (mesh in summer)
Jacket (mesh in summer)
Boots
Jeans

ATGATT:

+ Riding pants (mesh in summer)

Jacket / boots / gloves = moto specific gear. Not Members Only (joke for the older guys).

Barry

Members Only... hee hee hee... I got it...

What? No reinforced parachute pants?

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 12:13 PM   #35
markk53 OP
jack of all trades...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootenai Rider
I'm a newer rider and have not ridden ATGATT here in my first year when street riding, and having since joined ADV here recently, I am kicking myself for that after reading all of these first hand accounts, and the "what is the strangest thing you've hit/almost hit" thread. I've always ridden in helmet, gloves, and decent jacket, but not consistent elsewhere. I am reconsidering all that. I finally got off my butt and bought a good street helmet (Arai XD) and though I've had a Tourmaster jacket, I am looking at the Kihlamajaro or Scorpion Jacket, and some better street pants. I usually wear my Fly Racing MX pants, but those do not offer much protection on the street.

Riding offroad bikes I am always geared up with all the MX gear, (knee/elbow protection,KBC helmet, goggles, gloves, Thor boots,Fly chest protector, Fly racing pants) So I wondered why I haven't geared up as much on road. I have changed that.

Reading this thread though, I see a lot of mention of gearing up less for those short trips. Isn't the statistics about auto accidents something about how most auto accidents happen within just a few miles of the house? (You are statistically more likely to be near your house and let your guard down as they are familiar surroundings. ) So doesn't stand to say that you shouldn't lighten up the gear even/especially on those short trips?

--Paul
Yeah, I pointed that out when talking helmet use in another ATG thread. Caught hell because I will ride in shorts and tee. Not without a helmet and not without gloves. The helmet is the main protection for the most vital organ, the gloves keep the black crap from the grips off my hands.

Again, I know I should wear more. I won't rationalize it. I will say I ride differently when covered less. A bit slower and more heightened attention (if that's possible) when reacting to drivers. I'll slow sooner and such. Still, not justification for less gear.

When I go to races I either have shorts in the back pack or under my pants. A coat is almost always on for any longer riding, if for nothing else than to have sun protection.

Back to statistics, really it doesn't matter where most riding is done, the fact remains a motor vehicle operator is most likely to be in a crash within 25 miles of home. Therefore it makes most sense to wear, at a minimum, the full face helmet for that most vital area - your skull and brain - and, contrary to what I sometimes do, wear the most protective gear then too.

I'm thinking more and more. I know I don't ride in shorts near as often as I used to for that very reason.

By the way there was a magazine, probably Cycle, that did some testing of materials with a rig the set up on the back of a truck. It would drop a bag filled with powder (flour or chalk) and covered with the test material. The results were pretty amazing. You were better off to run without a coat if your coat was simply single layer nylon, the nylon could melt into your skin. Elbow, shoulder, and back pads make that less an issue now. New denim would wear through quicker than worn denim, the worn denim apparently was smoother and slid better. Obviously the light thinner dress leather didn't wear as well as full motorcycle leather.

The results kind of went with nylon trashing out first in about maybe 5 feet (all this is guesstimate by memory), new denim went about 10 feet, old denim went about 18 feet, I think they may have tested Kevlar, but I forget. Dress leather went about maybe 25 feet, and motorcycle leather went like 43+feet. Now this was a direct drag with no rocking around like a rider might do. It was on an abrasive paved road. It wasn't overly scientific, but the results made sense. Maybe I'll try to see if I could find that article again. Regardless, leather was king with heavier fabric being second.

Mark - klx678

markk53 screwed with this post 03-02-2009 at 12:24 PM
Old 03-02-2009, 01:24 PM   #36
Mr. 0
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 353
Here's a link to that abrasion test. Someone just happened to post a link to it on another board a week or so ago. It was Cycle that conducted the test

It's an interesting read. I'd like to see it updated to test some of the newer textiles that are in riding gear today.

http://www.trainwreckstudios.net/abrasion/
Mr. 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 02:25 PM   #37
markk53 OP
jack of all trades...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. 0
Here's a link to that abrasion test. Someone just happened to post a link to it on another board a week or so ago. It was Cycle that conducted the test

It's an interesting read. I'd like to see it updated to test some of the newer textiles that are in riding gear today.

So would I. I will make this a favorite. Good information though.

Shows how piss poor memory can be though.

Mark - klx678
Old 03-03-2009, 02:47 PM   #38
DBrentMiller
Sojourn Chronicles

Oddometer: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. 0

That was a very interesting read. But, I would have liked to see a little more about their methodology for testing. Here's what I'm thinking:

If a rider goes off the bike at 60 mph, he/she does not slide continually at 60 mph until the fabric wears through. They are probably going 60 mph only at the moment they hit the pavement. From that point, they are slowing down dramatically until they come to a stop. The study above does not appear to account for this variable. I think the studies suggest that leather and kevlar fabrics are better. I certainly would not dismiss the studies, but a better method of testing is probably warranted.

The poll I am taking on my web site is very close 50/50 armored pants vs. jeans. I should have thrown leather into my poll. Remember, my poll is not scientific, but rather a survey of interested readers.

Brent

D. Brent Miller, writer, photographer, producer
www.DBrentMiller.com, Publisher of Sojourn Chronicles,
Sojourn Chronicles on Facebook
Currently riding a 2008 Suzuki V-Strom DL650, and 2014.5 Kawasaki KLR 650
DBrentMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:56 AM   #39
markk53 OP
jack of all trades...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBrentMiller
That was a very interesting read. But, I would have liked to see a little more about their methodology for testing. Here's what I'm thinking:

If a rider goes off the bike at 60 mph, he/she does not slide continually at 60 mph until the fabric wears through. They are probably going 60 mph only at the moment they hit the pavement. From that point, they are slowing down dramatically until they come to a stop. The study above does not appear to account for this variable. I think the studies suggest that leather and kevlar fabrics are better. I certainly would not dismiss the studies, but a better method of testing is probably warranted.

The poll I am taking on my web site is very close 50/50 armored pants vs. jeans. I should have thrown leather into my poll. Remember, my poll is not scientific, but rather a survey of interested readers.

Brent
Back then they basically owned up to the lack of scientific nature and more to the sheer curiousity. I guess they couldn't get any volunteers to slide off the back of the truck.

Still, I think most any falling object would slide pretty close to whatever speed they departed at for at least the first ten to twenty feet in close to one position... and that's plenty of time for those general clothing fabrics to crap out. That was part of their thought process. They also wanted to see how some of the "motorcycle" quality materials wore.

I didn't read the whole posted articles, but I can remember that the problem with most fabric was that they are uniform in grain pattern, making them susceptable to ripping once an opening occurs. Leather has no grain pattern per se and usually won't rip once a hole forms. That was why the motorcycle quality leather would do better than Kevlar or the heavier synthetic fibers. Still, it is good to know that those fabric motorcycle outfits aren't that bad, especially when additional armor is present in impact and slide areas. That the material will probably hold up fairly well considering a downed rider won't usually slide in one set position.

From what I've seen the article is accurate in the general conclusions. I've seen nonmotorcycle gear wear through in no time where motorcycle gear wil protect very well. Happened to a friend who went down in a corner when his front wheel washed out on glass bead from the road line painting process. He was doing about 60 mph, sliding only about 30-40 feet. His nylon jacket pretty much shreded and slid up his arm, his gloves held up, and his jeans did okay. He had major road rash on one forearm. If he'd had on a bit heavier coat with positive closure sleeves instead of knit cuffs he might not have had quite the injury. But he got treated and we continued on our merry way.

Mark - klx678
Old 03-04-2009, 08:21 PM   #40
Human Ills
Useful Idiom

Oddometer: 23,021
oh yeah, I'll wear sneakers to the video store, too. I promise I won't make you tend to me if I drop the bike on my foot, mmmkay?

Just keeping it real.
Human Ills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:47 PM   #41
khager
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
I ride every day. Living in the Pac-Nor-Wet, warmth and staying dry are considerations.
Ride here in North TX, I guarantee you will stay warm and dry.
Well not counting getting dripping wet from sweat! LOL!
khager is offline   Reply With Quote